Insurers only Insure per Sq Mts not for value of Propety

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Mar 2007 12:00 AM by carly007 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi just completed at Dona Maria torrequebrada, my lawyer informs me Spanish Law only covers for the sq meters and not the actual property value , in my case 2 bed apartment  they will onlyu insure for 77000 euros althought value is 280000 euro, seems very risky if there was a fire etc, does anyone know if this info is correct, thanks Carly

Like 0      
03 Mar 2007 2:51 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2007 3:02 PM by alanwspencer Star rating in Hertfordshire/Duques.... 340 posts Send private message

alanwspencer´s avatar

If your apartment is part of a development isn't the building insurance part of the community fees? That would leave each owner to take out their own individual contents insurance. Or have I misunderstood the whole thing in which case I'll be quiet and go back to watching the racing on telly.

Alan

Like 0      
03 Mar 2007 4:06 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Alan,

I thought that would be the case the same as over here community charges usually include buildings insurance in with maintenance charges. Usually insured as a block. Halifax have set up buildings and contents policies which have been paid for in advance for the year. The only thing I can think of whch is different is because the apartments in Spain are freehold so are insured separately as a freehold property would be over here? Whereas over here the majority of flats are leasehold/ I would be very interested if anyone has any more info on this one as I am only assuming this is why we had to arrange our own buildings insurance.

Gina

Like 0      
28 Apr 2007 5:52 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

As I understand it, after lots of research and advise from banks lawyers etc., Community insurance covers only community areas. In our apartment block that seems to mean all the exterior walls of the building, corridors etc., and I am now told that it also covers the 'outside' of the apartment doors which are in the said corridors, and the windows, if they are on exterior walls.....but only for forced entry ( and you must contact the insurers before you attempt to repair ). Water pipes are covered if they are in community walls but those in the apartment are not. This whole community thing is complex and so far we have not got our community insurers to comit...except for the policy which is quite difficult to understand. Having looked at many insurance people for community insurance, it seems, in Spain, they are all similar ( read ambiguous!)

So, in short, you do need your own building insurance because it is unlikely that the community insurence will cover you. I have an apointment with my bank which is where I have my personal building insurance from next Wednesday and if I learn anything more about Community and or personal building insurance I will post.

Trouble is, with ANY insurance, you only find out how good it is ( or bad!) when it's too late. 

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
28 Apr 2007 6:48 PM by spiritofspain Star rating in Riviera del Sol, Mij.... 114 posts Send private message

spiritofspain´s avatar

Where you are in a community that has a policy to cover the community part of the buildings there are some grey areas in relationship as to what is and what is not covered. 

What l have done in the past is to have a contents policy and have something called 'First Loss' included. This then covers any part of your property in building terms that falls into the grey area of not being covered by the community buildings policy.

Doesnt cost a huge amount but gives a little piece of mind without having to insure the whole 'building' part of the property a second time.

Margery

www.losarqueros.iowners.net  and www.calahondapark.iowners.net

Like 0      
03 May 2007 9:59 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Apparently it seems best to have your own buildings insurance ecen when you live in a Community with Community Insurance. Community insurance only covers Community elements. While this means ( in an apartment block ) some of your walls are actually Community property, ie. external walls, the rest are not, so you are responsible for those. Also Community Insurance covers fire, explosion and water damage ( but only if it's caused by a Community pipe ) so everything else needs covering.

Hope this is some help.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Nearest A&E unit to Duquesa - 2 posts
WANTED....3 BED APPARTMENT TO RENT.... Calahonda / Elviria area for Christmas - 0 posts
lewis - 0 posts
Water/Electricity Connection Charges - 5 posts
spanish will/inheritance tax - 1 posts
gines serran pagan´s paintings for sale - 9 posts
RIBS please - spare ones! - 27 posts
Cibo - El Presidente - Estepona - 0 posts
Tricky Rickys Guadalmina. CDS - 0 posts
Albertos Cabopino CDS - 9 posts
Palm Beach Los Monteros CDS - 0 posts
BARGAIN 2bed - ONLY 149´000euros - 4 posts
Printer & Scanner 4sale - 2 posts
JeansSis' 1000th post !!! - 19 posts
Princesa Kristina Duquesa - 3 posts
'Spanish Music Good, Bad or Indifferent'. There's more to it than'Viva España' - 15 posts
ADVISE ON PENTHOUSE IN DUQUESA PLEASE - 1 posts
Advice For First Time Buyers Please……… - 3 posts
Anyone for a meet up around Duquesa next week? - 161 posts
E111 Forms - 12 posts
R U on Messenger ? - 0 posts
HEALTH CARD - 2 posts
Wok Buffet Asia - Urb Plays de Orihuella, Costa Blanca - 1 posts
San Rafael, Duquesa, CDS - 14 posts
Venta La Choza, Casares costa, CDS - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x