The Mar Menor

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by Mooma Star rating. 48 posts Send private message

Hi! I would be interested in your opinions. I was recently talking to a friend who said she would never swim in the Mar Menor as the sea did not move and change enough. This had never crossed my mind. What do other people think?

Like 0      
20 Jan 2009 4:50 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

The plus side shallow, very warm, safe for the children and netted for jelly fish in some areas plus afround Mardi Cristal are mainly used by the Spanish

The dowside, if yo enjoy splashing about in the waves or colder deeper water not good so you can have a mix of the 2 types of bathing 

So go to El Mojon North if you want the waves, Lo Pagan South for the calm waters

Like 0      
20 Jan 2009 8:02 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Hi Mooma.  

We have a holiday home in El Mojon which has the first beaches on the mediterranean sea just to the north of the Mar Menor and use both the med and the mar menor.  We have spanish friends in the area and one of them works in one of the marinas along the mar menor. 

Yes, the water is shallow compared to the med (lovely and warm) and it is semi-enclosed but it is a very important area for leaisure and recreation locally.  I'm told that any problems with the water quality (for example overloaded drainage systems in high summer and output from local farms and land that flow into it)  are quickly dealt with.  Also much care is taken to keep it safe for the thousands of people that use it each year, such as keeping the jellyfish population down and water quality up. 

It may not always be up to water quality of some of the many local blue flag beaches but I can only say what I've been told that it is does have problems sometimes but is well looked after and safe to use.  Enjoy it - we do.  Hope that helps! 

Jane

Like 0      
26 Jan 2009 7:23 PM by Daisytroll Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi,

For as long as I can remember I've been hearing scare stories about the Mar Menor - planes dump excess fuel in there (highly unlikely given the price of aviation fuel), raw sewage is pumped in, etc, etc.  All I can say is that I've been swimming in to for 20 years and have yet to see any ill effects.  In fact the area is renowned amongst the Spanish for its health benefits and many go to Lo Pagan for the mud baths and to bathe in the Mar Menor.

Jill

Like 0      
26 Jan 2009 7:26 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Added to which you don´t get Blue Flags and the Q standard easily and a few of the beaches have them

Like you I swim in the waters regularly, no problems

Like 0      
06 Mar 2009 5:44 PM by jedk Star rating in Mar Menor, Spain. 33 posts Send private message

The results of the study of the waters of the Mar Menor were recently released.  There is no contamination found in the Mar Menor and surrounding areas, with the exception of the mining areas around Cartagena and La Unión.

There is an article in the Costa Calida Reporter, website is http://www.reporternewspaperonline.com/.

My family and I have had no problems swimming in the water.  During the summer the water is like a bath and really tranquil.  The salts and minerals are apparently very theraputic.  Also most of the beaches have blue flag and/or Q status.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2010 10:47 PM by arky25 Star rating in erskine, scotland. 351 posts Send private message

arky25´s avatar

mar menor is excellent for families, especially kids as its shallow and warm.

www.roda.250x.com   OUR APARTMENT

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Live Obama inauguration on CBS news - 0 posts
I'm new! - 0 posts
Aifos bankruptcy claim has been accepted. - 1 posts
Did anyone else see Rixxy on TV this evening? - 15 posts
We are moving to Spain in June this year and will be living near Murcia City. - 0 posts
It's form 210 now, NOT 214 (as the wealth tax has finally been abolished 23rd December, 2008, for non residents) - 121 posts
long term rental wanted Los Alcazares - 4 posts
earn up 25€ per hour - 0 posts
Van space from Girona to England. - 0 posts
Justin & Susan's Siesta show - 50 posts
Ingofersa - 51 posts
Acceptability of solid log homes in Spain - 5 posts
New to Forum - 19 posts
Legal advice - 5 posts
Never a happy spanish experience if you bought your property through atlas international and paid in full! - 1 posts
Anyone heard of....... - 0 posts
Free Holiday in Andalucian Farmhouse in exchange for House & Animal Sit - 1 posts
Valuation of property - 2 posts
A Legal Question - re; Buying and licences - 0 posts
Car boots and markets - 11 posts
Builder's supply of water and electricity - 16 posts
Trampolin Hills - Royal Dream - Action Group - Anyone on it? - 1 posts
Builder has taken out mortgages on properties - 5 posts
Child with Autism/Asbergers Syndrome - Any educational facilities east of Malaga? - 2 posts
Santander buys GE Capital Bank Ltd - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x