Reasons to move to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Nov 2008 9:17 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Justin

so true. I turned the big 50 this year, and to celebrate, ran the london marathon, had a go at sphering, did a parachute course and jump, climed ska-fell, and did a 60 bike ride.  I really feel that the older i get, we must do things while we are healthy, and we still can!. Never know what's round the corner?

Great to hear all the positive stories about living in Spain on this thread, and i don't mean to put a damper on things, but i so wish our Spanish venture hadn't been such an on-going disaster. We will fight on till we get justice, (7 years next June) and then consider our options.

David.

Like 0      
20 Nov 2008 9:22 AM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Justin,

I totally agree with you. I have to admit that it's very scary making such a big move. However, if you don't do it you may end up regretting it for the rest of your life. In addition to this, I have to say that I love puentes/bank holidays, Ferias y Fiestas, Easter, especially in Andalucia and all sort of events that happen outdoors, a nice excuse to be out!!

I will keep adding more reasons on as they come to my head

Ana

Ana Sánchez. PGCE, MA & BA(Hons)

Teaching and Translation Services

Like 0      
20 Nov 2008 12:43 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

.... and we enjoy having you here and integrating you.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
20 Nov 2008 12:56 PM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

I've been in Spain for nearly six years and with most things there are pluses and minuses about everything.

Pluses

Lovely climate, Clean air, lack of traffic / parking issues / speed cameras! (Torrevieja aside!), healthy living and wine at €0.60 per glass at my locale! - general cost of living, fuel and food costs. Even factoring in the bad exchange rate, i'm spending less than half I would be than when living in the UK. Low violent crime rate.

Minuses

Local level corruption, planning, developers etc, heavy fines for those who don't pay their taxes, low wages and lack of good jobs on the Costas - which is fine if you are a retiree or financially secure - but for those of us who need to work for a living, speaking Spanish or otherwise does not guarantee a safe long term income.

All in all after being here 6 years and flying back to the UK on a regular basis (and sitting on Londons North Circular road in traffic) does highlight the reason why I am here - quality of life.

Its not perfect, by any stretch, but your kids can walk the streets safe at night and the Spanish certainly know how to enjoy themselves, though a bit more honesty and support of a good legal system would help.

Paul

Televisiontechnology.eu

Providing legal English language television solutions

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

www.facebook.com/televisiontechnology

Like 0      
20 Nov 2008 1:11 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Televisiontechnology,

I think everybody knows the reasons why not to move to Spain but we should keep this thread positive as it has been so far. There are other threads where you can express your opinion about negative aspects  of living in Spain. We know there are bad things about Spain but so far this thread has been very positive and has cheered me up a lot. Le's keep it this way,pls.

I am also moving to Spain to stuff my face with Jamon Serrano, Chorizo, Morcilla, etc. Food you can find in England but extremely expensive.

Ana

Like 0      
20 Nov 2008 1:11 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Televisiontechnology,

I think everybody knows the reasons why not to move to Spain but we should keep this thread positive as it has been so far. There are other threads where you can express your opinion about negative aspects  of living in Spain. We know there are bad things about Spain but so far this thread has been very positive and has cheered me up a lot. Le's keep it this way,pls.

I am also moving to Spain to stuff my face with Jamon Serrano, Chorizo, Morcilla, etc. Food you can find in England but extremely expensive.

Ana

Like 0      
20 Nov 2008 1:32 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Maria,

we also enjoy your support and effort to make us feel part of the EOS community

Like 0      
20 Nov 2008 5:13 PM by tazzletot Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

How fantastic to read so may positives..........its what I've been waiting for!

We are moving to Spain at the beginning of March to start our own business - its so exciting but really scary!  We all feel the same - its got to be done or you'll never know what you missed.  Its really easy to say that we cant do this now in the present economic climate but then we will never do it!

We always hear horror stories but happy and contented people dont feel the need to publicise it so much so the negative wins over the positive.  Stay loving it in Spain please - I hope its me saying it too - very soon.

Taz

Like 0      
20 Nov 2008 6:23 PM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

O.K  i'll be positive. If you are prepared to work hard and integrate you can make it work. I have and so have a few friends, most of which run their own businesses. 

I wish you good luck & tapas is cheap - as long as you stay away from the tourist hotspots.

Paul

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

www.facebook.com/televisiontechnology

Like 0      
20 Nov 2008 6:26 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Cheers Paul

Ana

Like 0      
21 Nov 2008 9:46 AM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Go to bars and have churros with hot chocolate for breakfast and go to good bullfights with famous bullfighters!!

Like 0      
21 Nov 2008 10:50 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Children aren't considered vermin in Spain!

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
21 Nov 2008 11:03 AM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Susan,

I think children are not considered vermin in the UK either??

Ana

Like 0      
21 Nov 2008 11:32 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

A few reasons that may or may not have been said before:

In the morning you sit on your balcony or terrace and eat breakfast before you go to work, whilst the sun warms you.

When you come home from work, you can go for a dip in the community pool.

And during the weekends, you can relax in the sun, reading a book, taking the occasional dip in the pool.

Basically, you work more hours and earn less money, however have a greater standard of living.

PS. And the beer is cheap too! 

PPS. Nine days to go and we leave the UK for our sunny new home in Duquesa!

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 11/21/2008.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
21 Nov 2008 12:39 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Nati

I know, I meant it a bit tongue in cheek but look at this article .

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
21 Nov 2008 3:11 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Techno

i would have thought tyhat Devon has a great deal going for it...compared with lots of the UK.  Mind you so has Duquesa for me.

Regards

John

Like 0      
21 Nov 2008 5:15 PM by BPD Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

JC 1 and  Techno

It's cold, wet and dark here in Devon. Of course it could be worse, but Spain beckons for all those reasons Techno listed.

we have been waiting almost a year to sell our house and have had it up for rent since September. Guess what? so has everyone else in the area.

You are so lucky Techno, Ive been watching your progress for several months and glad everything has worked out for you.

Enjoy your new life.!

Like 0      
22 Nov 2008 1:57 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I've just spent the morning with the girls on their bikes up and down the paseo in the warm sunshine stopping off at all the parks to play.There were so many people out strolling, having coffee, chatting. A lovely way to spend a saturday morning.

Susan

Like 0      
22 Nov 2008 3:10 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Saturday beautiful here in Duquesa

Regards

John

Like 0      
24 Nov 2008 5:09 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Another one; stuff my face with chorizo, morcilla, jamon serrano, etc, all type of delicatesen that you still find in the UK but very expensive. If it is still expensive on the coast I will fill up my suitcase everytime I go to Santisteban del Puerto to see my mama and papa. I cannot wait!

Ana

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Completing on Polaris Property @ Condado de Alhama next Week - 13 posts
Mexican Restaurant in Benimar - 5 posts
Experienced Chef Required - 0 posts
Spanish TDT tv. - 5 posts
Looking for Sales Agents for Canvas Printing Company - 0 posts
car wanted - 2 posts
Rental management software - 0 posts
FIVE on FREESAT - 0 posts
HONDA GENERATOR GX270, petrol, 5KVA - 0 posts
Opel Vivaro 2.0 cdti - only a few months old still with warranty - Gandia, Valencia, Spain - 0 posts
Legal TV in Spain - 0 posts
Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 Sx Top 2007 Spanish Registered LHD Gandia, Valencia, Spain - 2 posts
CHRISTMAS dinner for COST BLANCA ????? - 7 posts
STATIC HOMES,URGENT HELP REQUIRED PLEASE - 0 posts
Gas bottle wanted... - 10 posts
Karrite Roof Box - 0 posts
Bijon Frise or X Pomeranian Puppy Desperately Wanted - 0 posts
Warning to landlords... - 5 posts
Fireworks, stars, pictures, explosions? - Rock on EOS!!!!! - 7 posts
Spanish grass - 10 posts
POLARIS WORLD NIGHTMARE CONDADO DE ALHAMA - 28 posts
CAR HIRE SEARCH.............. - 0 posts
Freshwater fishing equipment - 1 posts
Spanish Seasons - 6 posts
Good discount stores for TVs? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 56

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x