Reasons to move to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

We have just returned from a few days in the UK and although it wasn't particularly cold, it felt like it would soon be bedtime all day long. In fact, I had to keep checking the time and was often surprised to discover that it was midday when it actually looked like five in the evening in Spain. So, it was nice to come back to the spanish bright blue sky, the light and the feeling of open space.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 8:31 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Susan

I am green with envy, can't wait to get back out to Duquesa.

Maureen

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 11:12 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Traffic, or lack of it.  Couldn't stand the traffic jams in the UK myself.  Wasted my life on the M25 and M1 evey day.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 11:23 AM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

There are worse things than traffic justin, just look at the mad house that is now the UK led by commader Brown ... acountry where you are more likely to go to jail because of the contents of your bins than if you continual beat a child!!!  well done Gordon and Tony.

Regards

John

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 12:14 PM by jenruth Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Have to agree, it is a madhouse here in the UK, however since we are looking to move overseas shortly we're currently sudying all things Spanish....... and French cos not too sure where we want to be yet!!  Buying now seems to be a no-no so for the moment we have decided to rent first.  We are renting in France for a short time and then Spain, however, if anyone had their time over again would they buy?  Not just being nosey, it's a big decision and don't want to get it wrong if I can help it, the legalities of some properties and corruption issues worry me or am I exaggerating?

Would be nice to hear some positive thoughts...... or indeed negative ones, have removed my rose tinted spectacles. 

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 12:29 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Susan

I really am happy for those who are happy with their lot in Spain. It's only what we wanted as well. As we are one of the many conned out of all our savings, there is huge black cloud over the whole of Spain for us at the moment. Our case is set for next April in Malaga, so who knows, that cloud may be lifted?

JC1

don't think we have an good alternative to Brown at present?   

as bad as the UK government is, nothing stinks as much as the lack of regulation/corruption and justice in Spain at the moment for many of us at the mercy of the Spanish system. I love Spain and it's people, but those who have allowed so much damage, not only to us buyers, but Spain itself, have so much to answer for!

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 2:00 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Getting back to the Reasons to move to Spain, i think the culture and social values considerably outweigh the alternative of staying in the UK.

Nobody has  a great deal of money at the moment but a walk along the beach or just sitting in a square watching the children play together can be done for next to nothing, at least here when things get you down to can go and get that warm feeling by simply stepping out for a while.

Old fashioned values to a certain point are credit crunch proof....

Yes we all know that corruption exists everywhere,whether it is on yacht in the mediteranean or in a town hall, i feel for people that have been effected financially by this but as a whole the country has so much to offer.

Oh, and its warm most of the time.....

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 2:44 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

feel closer to my family, speaking my own language, Spanish (sometimes I forget how to say certain things in Spanish), weather, Spanish markets and supermarkets, some Spanish sense of humour (nothing against English humour at all), light days ( I go to and come back from work and I don't see any daylight), get a bit tanned as when I go to my parents especially in the summer they say I Iook yellow of getting no sunshine, when I was a little girl I used to get black of just playing in the playground. If I remember more things I will add them on.

Ana

Ana Sánchez. PGCE, MA & BA(Hons)

Teaching and Translation Services

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 2:46 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Goodstich

I obviously am not a fan of Brown ...afterall its all gone avacodo shape on his watch so who else is there to blame. He cannot blame this on Maggie but I am sure he has tried. He was chancellor when he raided my pension scheme, he was chancellor when he told the BoE to concentrate on inflation ( oh and btw ignore house price inflation in your stats) and he is the PM who has brought back a twice disgraced Mandelson...now that is corruption on a grand scale.

Regards

John

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 3:26 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I yearn for the culture, civility, depth of character of Spain (indeed, alot of other places in Europe), that we lack so much here.  Not for the sun - we've got that in abundance - because weather isn't always an important factor in choosing where one wants to live and bring up their children.  I want to stay longer and longer each summer that we're there.  Miss Spain so much when we leave!

And I totally agree with what you say, Georgia, very true!  When we sit and watch the children play here, most of them are accompanied by maids with no parents in sight!!  It makes me really sad!! 

This message was last edited by Pitby on 11/19/2008.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 3:31 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Hi

I am soooo glad that I am here in Spain. The weather, the people, the cost of living need I go on. Yes it is not perfect but where is? Although we dont fully understand our hosts it is far better than being in U.K.

As an example of how different things are here I had my wallet dipped today. I phoned my banks, British and Spanish, to cancel my plastic. The U.K. bank said that I could collect my new cards in 5 to 7 working days from my branch IN ENGLAND!. Very good as I live here in Spain. Posting was a problem for them even though they always send my renewals here. My Spanish bank confirmed my last transaction on the cards and said I could collect my new card from my branch the next day. So Spain is backward?

As far as renting versus buying personally I would suggest a short rental to find the right area and also learn the 'problems' with buying and how not to get caught. Its the same in France where buying has its little quirks. Even in the UK it is difficult buying a property if you do not know all the pitfalls. Look at the present problems of people being given mortgages for more than they can afford to pay back. That is in a country where they know the language. My advice is always ask lots of questions of people who have been through the system as well as those who are selling and therefore have a vested interested.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 4:38 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Nati

I know what you mean about that yellow tinge to the skin. My sister and I are half Italian (father Italian) and my sister has inherited more of the Italian physical appearance than me but getting back to the point, when I was in the UK last week, I noticed that she looked an odd shade of yellow like someone who ought to be living in a warmer climate. I didn't say anything though, she had just given birth so I thought it best not to point it out.

Susan

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 4:38 PM by BBBunny Star rating in Javea, Costa Blanca. 20 posts Send private message

I dont for one minute think that Spain is going to be some sort of Utopia, but life is what you make it and I want to make mine in Spain!  Living in Inverness we havent had a summer in three years, anything wooden in the garden has rotted away from all the rain, and although we are not as badly affected by the"credit crunch" as a lot of areas ( the oil industry is still going strong) there is a permenant air of doom and gloom.

We had planned our move to Spain before this "depression" kicked in. There are those that argue we should stay and keep our money in the UK to help the economy, but at the moment I think that would be throwing money away.

I want to move to Spain because it will, I think, provide a much better life for me and my family .  The way Spanish people love and interact with kids is something that is lacking in the UK.  Recent events here show that some people are more intersted in statistics than childrens welfare. Sometimes it seems that a lot of people in the UK are more interested in animal welfare than that of children.

And on a less serious note - I love wine, love the sun, husband is desperate for a jet ski and my mother in law wont be able to visit every week!

Wendy

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 5:06 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Wendy, I found your post really funny!  Thanks.

By the way, if you're going to let your husband get a jet ski could you possibly find some time in working on Susan for me, as I really think I need one too

Justin

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 5:26 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Justin, like you have any time to jet ski!!  You've got to keep us lot in place!!!

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 5:36 PM by BBBunny Star rating in Javea, Costa Blanca. 20 posts Send private message

Justin

You boys and your toys - my husband needs to sell his " I really need" motorbike before he gets a "cant move to Spain and not get" jet ski!!  As we speak he is in Singapore duty free - like a sweetie shop for the gadget lover!!

Wendy

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 6:38 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar

I've just returned home from a week in Spain and this is the first visit where I haven't been shopping for the apartment and painting etc. I think you're so right Susan...this time of the year in the UK I get up for work and it's dark and finish work...and it's dark. What I appreciated on this visit was the bright blue, cloud free sky. We walked on the beach everyday, sat on the beach reading, had a coffee and actually got chatting to people.

On every previous visit we have seen our community gardener/odd job man buzzing around and I've always thought him quite stand offish but on this visit we actually took the time to say more than "Hola" and he's really friendly, funny and extremely helpful. I practised my Coffee Break Spanish on him and he was very impressed!

We took the Cable Car ride from Tivoli up to the top of the mountain and took in the fantastic views and breathed in the clean air. In fact during the entire week I used my inhaler just twice whereas as at home I'd use it twice a day!

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 7:30 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

We have always meant to do the cable car but just haven't got around to it. I think that people who come out for holidays do so much more and appreciate it much more than us lot who are here all year around!

Susan

Like 0      
19 Nov 2008 8:12 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Having all sort of shops open till 8.30/9.00 and having them near to where you live. You need transport to go shopping here. I also like the fact that people hang around in the streets till late ish whereas in the UK everywhere is deserted after 5.30. Spain also seems more family friendly e.g. you can see not only parents but grandparents taking kids to the park, you can take your children to bars/restaurants in the evening, childcare is cheaper,.........

Ana

Ana Sánchez. PGCE, MA & BA(Hons)

Teaching and Translation Services

Like 0      
20 Nov 2008 8:57 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I think one of the biggest reasons has to be because if you don't do it you'll always wonder "what if".

I have moved around for years and if I moved back to the UK tomorrow it wouldn't be the end of the world for me.  You never know what's going to happen tomorrow but if you've done it and tried it well then at least you gave it a shot. 

Many find it's not for them but at the same time many absolutely love it.

There's normally very little to lose.  You only have one life and you should grab any chance to do something with it when you're healthy enough to do so.

Just do it!

Justin

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Completing on Polaris Property @ Condado de Alhama next Week - 13 posts
Mexican Restaurant in Benimar - 5 posts
Experienced Chef Required - 0 posts
Spanish TDT tv. - 5 posts
Looking for Sales Agents for Canvas Printing Company - 0 posts
car wanted - 2 posts
Rental management software - 0 posts
FIVE on FREESAT - 0 posts
HONDA GENERATOR GX270, petrol, 5KVA - 0 posts
Opel Vivaro 2.0 cdti - only a few months old still with warranty - Gandia, Valencia, Spain - 0 posts
Legal TV in Spain - 0 posts
Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 Sx Top 2007 Spanish Registered LHD Gandia, Valencia, Spain - 2 posts
CHRISTMAS dinner for COST BLANCA ????? - 7 posts
STATIC HOMES,URGENT HELP REQUIRED PLEASE - 0 posts
Gas bottle wanted... - 10 posts
Karrite Roof Box - 0 posts
Bijon Frise or X Pomeranian Puppy Desperately Wanted - 0 posts
Warning to landlords... - 5 posts
Fireworks, stars, pictures, explosions? - Rock on EOS!!!!! - 7 posts
Spanish grass - 10 posts
POLARIS WORLD NIGHTMARE CONDADO DE ALHAMA - 28 posts
CAR HIRE SEARCH.............. - 0 posts
Freshwater fishing equipment - 1 posts
Spanish Seasons - 6 posts
Good discount stores for TVs? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 56

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x