A few questions before the big move, 12th May

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by knas Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,

Right the time has come, Ive handed in my notice at work, booked a flight and got a start date for my new job so im about to begin my new life very soon. Im a mid 20's single professional who has got a job in La Zenia. My company are putting me in an hotel for the first 4 weeks while i find my feet and a new home. I have been looking on the internet and have found afew long term rentals which look great but as im in England and they are in Spain not sure on the area's. Areas which i do like the look of are Playa Flemenca and Las Altas. Can anyone please share some more information on these places and also reccomendations on other great residential complex's around these area's. Am i right in thinking finding a long term let will be easy or with it coming upto holiday season is it going to be hard? Also would you say 460 euros inc bills is good??

Also i would like to know about buying a car. Is it easy to get a good used second hand car around the alicante area? I was thinking of bringing my car over but it does bother me driving at the wrong side of the car but when ive looked on internet sites the second hand cars seem rather expensive? Am i best to buy private?? And is car insurance expensive for my age (5years no claims)?

Nearly done now just one more thing, social security and tax contributiions................ i have been told that i will be expected to pay about 180 euros per month?? Is this correct and it seems expensive? I thought maybe i couldnt go for private medical for the price of this. And last but not least, tax, again i have been told upto 25k is 20% and over is 30%. Can someone share some light on this. Is there any other contributions i will pay out?

Well thanks for reading all this and hopefully your replies. I guess im just alittle bit nervous but am very much looking forward to coming over soon. Thanks

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 11:57 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Assuming you will become a resident, if you bring your car over, you will have to re-register it, involving time, hassle and expense. Some people do it, but personally I don't think it's worth it - as long as you are sure you will stay, that is!

Unless you know cars, I would think you're best buying from a garage that offers a warranty of some sort. I don't know the area you are heading for, but I think there's plenty of choice. Insurance I think is probably cheaper than UK. You can get an online quote in English (make up the car model!) to get an idea, from Linea Directa (Direct Line in Spain).

Yes, social security is expensive, but if you are employed, it is deducted from your wage automatically. If you are going to be working on a self-employed basis, you have to pay it (and it's more like €250). It's not optional. But yes, you can get private medical for less. Many ex-pats opt for private health even though they are covered on the Social Security as well, which tends to be pretty good really.

Good luck with your move.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 12:21 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

As you haven't said what you want to rent, it's hard to say if 460e is a good price.

I would have thought as your job is based in La Zenia then the nearer you are the better as the 332 can get crowded at peak times.

The two areas you mention are close to each other so it could come down to what you would be looking for in an area.  Do you want some where that's lively, with bars within walking distance?

On another site someone recommended Framon Motors in Bigastro.  If you buy a car from them they include an airport parking service which could come in handy if you plan on going back to the uk for holidays.

They advertise in the local english papers so may be worth a look.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 12:54 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Hi, if you're going to work in La Zenia you will be able to buy a good quality used car from about 6 places on the 'strip'.......which is a wide road with shops pubs and garages all the way down it very near to where you will be.

At Playa Flamenca, which is also near, there will be lots of long term rentals for the price you're talking about. If you are going to be in a hotel for 4 weeks you'll be able to look round and choose where you want to be.

If you want any other info ( I live in Playa Flamenca and have done for 5 years ) PM me and I'll help if I can.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 6:46 PM by knas Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Thanks for all your replys, yes i think im just gonna buy a car when i get out there,someone has also mentioned global cars, its just ive got quite a nice car now but you dont seem to get alot for your money in spain car wise.

Regarding to living, i would like somewhere alittle lively. At first my friend is coming across with me but only for  a couple of months and then i'll be on my own so i'd like to live somewhere that has a good community of people, (easy to make friends) and as im a young woman, yes i would like afew bars that i can go to and have some vino, ha ha. Also i dont think the hotel for the first 4 weeks is happening now, think im gonna get an apartment, ive seen one in Punta Marina, 800 euros for 4 weeks. Im thinking of renting this while i hunt for somewhere to live permantly. What is this area like please?  

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 11:15 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Some people recommend Global cars and others tell you not to touch them with a barge pole.

I've heard of a Punta Prima but not a Punta Marina?  Where abouts is it near?

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 11:11 AM by knas Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

its an apartment ive seen, address is los altos, punta prima, punta marina?????? do you know of this area?? not long to go now, just trying to get a place sorted for when i first get to Spain. Where would you recommend?

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 11:19 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Punta prima is just down the road from me, Los Altos is about 5 minutes the other way. Both ok areas. We purchased our used car from Willam cars on the strip.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 11:36 AM by knas Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Which area has more going on? Shops, bars etc?? This is so hard with my not knowing the area? Also what do you think of Playa Flamenca?

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 11:51 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

I would say Punta Prima.

I might be a bit biased about Playa Flamenca cos that's where I live!!

I love it, there is always something happening and everything, shops doctors pubs eating places and entertainment are all near. There are several beaches within walking distance and Torrevieja is only 10 minutes away by car.

The downside, if you want to call it that is that the 332 gets bunged up in summer so you have to add extra time on your journey and we get a lot of holiday makers. But for me, that all adds to the excitement of living here.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 12:11 PM by knas Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

is there many long term rentals available in that area? and do you know what price?

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 1:07 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Yes there will be lots. In fact, in our apartments there is long term availability. I think the going rate is around 450€ inclusive.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 3:49 PM by knas Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

that sounds good. Where abouts are those apartments, in what complex? Do you have any pics you could send me? thanks and sorry for being a pain! ha ha!

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 7:54 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Karen, send the pics of the garage

(P.S. builders on site today ripping up garage floor to alter drainage - some way to go yet to sort the problem out, but it's a start!)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 Apr 2008 4:32 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

tried to put some pics on but they came out MASSIVE...........so sorry, had to edit before I took over the whole of EOS !!

This message was last edited by Karensun on 4/8/2008.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
08 Apr 2008 10:01 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Hi knas, I've sent you the pics by PM......................................

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
08 Apr 2008 11:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Karen, I recommend paint.net, you can download it for free and it makes resizing your photos a breeze. Sorry, way off topic now.

P.S. two days digging, and still no sight of the pipe that nobody remembers where they built it, and the plans don't show because they were altered without consent from the planning dept. Whoops, even more off topic now

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Structural Survey - 1 posts
WARNING... ALMERIA .... MAYOR OF ZURGENA ARRESTED - 1 posts
Flexible, english speaking employment, nationwide in Spain - 6 posts
latest pictures thalassa visit www.nuevosvecinos.com - 0 posts
EDITING POSTS - 2 posts
Good restaurants in the Duquesa Area - 92 posts
How to avoid Spanish Inheritance Tax - 25 posts
fire baskets - 0 posts
Not what but where? - 18 posts
hi we are tonden - 2 posts
Meeting - 09/06/07 - 54 posts
Driving from Bilbao to Mar Menor - 11 posts
Directions To the Roman Baths - 4 posts
Good Ladies Clothes Shop - 5 posts
Intercom system - 3 posts
This seems very expensive - 0 posts
Looks like a new way to create funds! - 6 posts
Spanish Banking Ombudsman - 37 posts
Completion?-but have to pay 4000 euros for insurance??? - 6 posts
can this business work in spain???? - 6 posts
dont just sit there - 2 posts
Hi - 3 posts
PET FREE COMMUNITY - 4 posts
Directions to Manilva required - 0 posts
golf clubs in Murcia - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x