Spanish language forum

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Apr 2008 1:16 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

THANK YOU!!!!

I've watched them both on UTube and they are both really good. Can you both recommend one CD I could buy because La Quinta Estación have several CD's out. On UTube Sergio Dalma is singing Bailar Pegados. Do you know what CD that's on?

How clever of you both to instantly identify music I like and you don't even know me.

Irene

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 1:28 PM by LifeOverseas Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 49 posts Send private message

The latest album for La Quinta Estación is called El Mundo Se Equivoca, hope you like it!

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 6:26 PM by Esteruca Star rating in Costa del Sol. 64 posts Send private message

Hi Irene, Bailar pegados is the first song on his second album Sintiéndonos la piel (1991). He sang this song at Eurovision and he finished in forth place. His last album is called "A buena hora". I have just discovered an album with the best songs from 1999-2004 called Lo mejor de Sergio Dalma.

Like 0      
05 Apr 2008 5:53 PM by patrolls Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Hi LifeOverseas,
Am enjoying your language course, keep up the good work.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2008 4:26 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Thank you Esteruca. I'm going to be in Spain shortly and I'll look out for both when I'm there.

I'm really looking forward to having a Spanish singalong!

Irene

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 10:01 AM by LifeOverseas Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 49 posts Send private message

Hoy, lunes, vamos a hablar de nuestra nacionalidad  Today we´re going to talk about our nationality

¿De dónde eres?
day donday erez  Where are you from?
Soy del Reino Unido
soy del reyno uneedo I´m from the United Kingdom
Soy de Escocia
soy day eskothia I´m from Scotland
Soy de Inglaterra
soy day inglatera I´m from England
Soy de Irlanda (del Norte) 
soy day eerlanda (del nortay) I´m from (Nothern) Irland
Soy de Gales
soy day galez I´m from Wales

Por cierto, si alguien quiere saber cómo se dice algo, preguntalo y intentamos ayudar!
By the way, if anyone wants to know how to say something, ask and we´ll try to help!

Like 0      
08 Apr 2008 4:26 PM by chipmonk Star rating in Staffordshire, Engla.... 101 posts Send private message

chipmonk´s avatar

Hi Everyone

This a question about using the TH sound when learning Spanish.

Is it important to try and stick to TH if you start learning with that pronounciation or is it ok to mix the two styles ?

Paul 

Like 0      
08 Apr 2008 4:35 PM by LifeOverseas Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 49 posts Send private message

I would stick to the one sound, otherwise maybe it could sound confusing. It´s also easier for you to remember I imagine! Maybe one of our Spanish friends on this site could confirm whether it would be confusing to mix the th sounds.

Like 0      
08 Apr 2008 4:45 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Sorry to o/t a bit but I wa just laughing to myself as I recall a time when my Spanish wasn't quite what it is today and I was put off going into a resaurant because a sign outside said "Excuse the molestations". At the time I didn't want to be molested but once I learnt that the verb molestar meant to cause an inconvenience and there was building work in the restaurant going on it clicked. That was an example of a false friend. There are loads of them and you have to be careful of them. I can't think of any more off hand but trust me there are lots and they have got me into trouble.

Another one that gets me is when English speakers think that speaking spanish is just a case of tagging an o or an a to an English word. The one that I hear all the time is "apuntamento" for appointment instead of "cita". But don't let that put you off trying and guessing as sometimes it works!

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
08 Apr 2008 4:52 PM by LifeOverseas Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 49 posts Send private message

Another one that I also see when people translate into English as well as into Spanish is actually/currently.

Currently = actualmente
Actually = de hecho
So if you want to say actually, don´t say actualmente!

Like 0      
08 Apr 2008 5:32 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

My favourite false friends are

constipado which means blocked up as in having a bad cold.  Should you be unfortunate enough to be constipated, the word is estreñido.

and embarazada which means pregnant.  If you want to say you are embarrassed you say 'me da verguenza' (literally 'it gives me shame')

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
08 Apr 2008 5:50 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Oh embarazada, the amount of people that I used to tell I was pregnant and I was actually embarrassed!

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
08 Apr 2008 5:58 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Could be worse, Susan, at least you're not a bloke!

Jane

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
08 Apr 2008 6:32 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Strictly speaking, it's El Pais de Gal for Wales as Gales is Welsh.  However, not many people in Spain have heard of Wales unless they've just been kicked out of another European Cup match.

Not being  un aficionado de futbol I couldn't possibly comment.  If Spain starts taking el rugbi a bit more seriously, maybe more people will have heard of el Pais de Gal. 

Funnily enough, Escocia and Irlanda don't seem to suffer from this even though their record in major football cups are only slightly better than that of Wales.

So saying------ Adelante la ciudad de Cardiff

Like 0      
09 Apr 2008 4:33 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Talking to a couple of our Spanish neighbours recently they were telling us that Wales, Ireland and Scotland were all a part of England!!

I'm glad no one else was around, it could have started a riot.

Hasta luego

Justino

Like 0      
18 Apr 2008 3:28 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Hi

Can someone explain the difference (if any) between coche and carro for car. I've come across the 2 words on a few ocassions, and now I've come across it in the Speed Learning Course downloaded from EOS.

e.g. coche de Juan - John's car (from Day 6)

desde el carro - from the car (from Day 6 , 3 entries below)

Thanks

Jacqui

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2008 4:31 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Just to throw a spanner in the works, you've forgotten the word auto which also means car.

Coche is the most common in Spain.  Carro is generally used in Latin America however, as the Latin American pronunciation strongly mirrors the southern coasts of Spain (that's where they all sailed to and from in the 16th and 17th centuries) you will often hear carro used.  Coche is more common.  Auto generally used in garages and car dealerships but all three are correct.

Edited to add:  I realise they didn't have cars in the 16th and 17th centuries,  however they did have coaches and carts. 

This message was last edited by bobaol on 4/18/2008.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2008 9:24 AM by LifeOverseas Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 49 posts Send private message

Just to add a hammer into the works (since a spanner has already been thrown in!) carro also means trolley, e,g. in a supermarket.

Keeping on a supermarket theme and just for interest´s sake, basket is cesta (thesta)

Like 0      
21 Apr 2008 6:11 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I can't say I've ever really heard a car refered to as carro, which more commonly is used for (supermarket) trolley - but judging by the way they drive here.......yep, kinda makes sense!

I suppose an expensive car could therefore be un carro caro?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 Apr 2008 7:34 PM by Esteruca Star rating in Costa del Sol. 64 posts Send private message

Automóvil (auto), Coche = Car Carriage = Carro ó carruaje And yes el carro de la compra is the shopping trolley Carro as car is more used in south america

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

spanish schools - 3 posts
long term rentals in almeria - 0 posts
Mucia car rental closes at 1300hrs help - 4 posts
Newbie - 1 posts
El Soto Phase 2 Prices - 4 posts
Cheaper Utilities in Spain - 0 posts
builder needed!! - 2 posts
new commercial in Rojales - 11 posts
Is anybody from Cox? - 6 posts
Rugs and Kilims - 0 posts
Taxes for the self employed (residents) - 0 posts
Webcam in eclipse? - 4 posts
What has happened to --- - 6 posts
Any alternative to google Earth? - 7 posts
Can anyone recommend a good estate agent in the Estepona area? - 5 posts
billy - 1 posts
long rent in Ayamonte - 0 posts
Wanted full or 3/4 size snooker table - 2 posts
New Community - First Meeting - 16 posts
Indoor swimming pools - Murcia - 2 posts
Is living in Spain Boring? - 9 posts
La Condessa Mijas Golf - 7 posts
crime in costa blanca - 10 posts
profile - 1 posts
Water Deposit? - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 114

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x