Spanish language forum

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Mar 2008 1:19 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

He sends me to sleep!!!!

Irene

Like 0      
26 Mar 2008 1:24 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Maybe not so good when your driving Irene !!!!

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
26 Mar 2008 3:32 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

You know, I absolutely knew someone would come back with that quip!

Seriously though, don't you find his voice terribly boring?

We collected the 8cd's that the Mail gave away last year and they are much more lively and interesting.

Irene

Like 0      
26 Mar 2008 4:06 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Sorry it was as you say an oh so predictable response !

Yes his voice is a bit deadly  but I kind of let it wash over me. I have some others too and the "Rocket Spanish" lessons available on line are much more lively.The first 6 or so lessons are free but they send loads more free stuff too.Its South American Spanish which is why I decided to switch over to Michel Thomas but its a really good starter..

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
26 Mar 2008 4:26 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
For anyone who hasn't heard of it or seen the Learning Spanish subject thread (in the Living and Moving to Spain section) Coffee Break Spanish podcasts, free downloads from iTunes, are just great!!  Put them on your iPod and listen to them in the car.  You've never heard a Scot speak Spanish like it!!  And interesting too, so hopefully no falling asleep at the wheel!!

Check it out!  They also have a website, www.coffeebreakspanish.com
where you can download stuff too.

Like 0      
26 Mar 2008 6:47 PM by eilben Star rating in Chesterfield/Santiag.... 101 posts Send private message

Roberto Gracias, that was really helpful. Relates to the Latin I learnt at school (does that show my age?) I actually find applying latin grammar more helpful than English grammar. I now keep a notebook by the PC to jot down the useful phrases. Sad or what? Buenos noches Eileen

Like 0      
26 Mar 2008 7:13 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Some vague recollection of Latin conjugation  going like this: amo, amas, amat......yes, if you learnt some Latin, or even French, in school, it's bound to help. English is essentially a Germanic language, and as such the grammar is quite different.

The easiest way I find to express the future (although not necessarily always strictly the correct way!) is by simply using the verb to go, followed by to, "a" and the infinitive: I go to eat; do you go to eat? "voy a comer; ¿vas a comer?" Although the English sounds odd, this is how a Spaniard would say "I am going to eat; are you going to eat?"

So, you only need to conjugate the verb to go (confusingly, Ir):

I go = voy; you go = vas; he/she goes = va; we go = vamos; they go = van

.....and then learn as many infinitives as possible! Hey presto, future tense!

From this you'll see where that very popular phrase comes from, vamos a ver. Literally means "we go to see", but of course in context almost always means "yeah, well, we'll see!" or "mmmm, let's see now......"

If this is helpful, I'll tell how I blag my way through the past tense next!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
26 Mar 2008 7:24 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Cor blimey Roberto!

You are a Fuente de conocimientos!

Ok, ok, I did a Google translate........................................

Seriously though, thank goodness for your posts here on EOS, you are "Mantener vivo"

Salut,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
27 Mar 2008 9:26 AM by srp Star rating. 62 posts Send private message

THANKS FOR THAT ROBERTO YOUR SO HELPFULL BUT COULD YOU TELL ME DO ALL THE WORDS STATING WITH  ( V )  GET PRONOUNCED WITH A ( B ) . SRP.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2008 11:50 AM by LifeOverseas Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 49 posts Send private message

It´s actually in any situation, V is always pronounced as a B.

Another, slightly more complicated rule is...The C is pronounced th when the vowel that follows is either E or I

For example:
cantar (to sing) is pronounced as it is written
cucuracha (cockroach ewww) is pronounced as it is written
coche (car) is pronounced as it is written (also pronoucing the E, it is not silent)

While:
cerdo (pig) is pronounced "therdo"
cinta (tape) is pronounced "thinta"

Like 0      
27 Mar 2008 12:18 PM by srp Star rating. 62 posts Send private message

HOLA LIFEOVERSEAS, THANK YOU FOR THAT YOUR VERY KIND AS IS ROBERTO AND ALL THE OTHERS THE FIRST WORD I HAVE REMEMERED IS LO SIENTO JUST IN CASE I UPSET ANYONE .KIND REGARDS OR AS JUSTIN SAYS SALUDO I THINK SANDRA ( SRP)

Like 0      
27 Mar 2008 2:50 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Un trabalenguas ( a tonguetwister):

Tres tristes tigres comen trigo en un trigal.

Three sad tigers eat wheat in an wheat field.

Expersiones coloquiales ( colloquial expressions).

Que pasa?:  What´s up? How are you?

Que tal? How are you?

Venga! Come one!

Que te vaya bien: I wish you well!

wordreference. com is awesone to find translation to commun expresions

Suerte con el idioma!! Good luck with the Language!!

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 Mar 2008 3:33 PM by LifeOverseas Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 49 posts Send private message

I have to agree with you Maria as regards wordreference.com...it got me through half of my translation classes at uni!

Like 0      
27 Mar 2008 6:29 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Quote Lifeoverseas: "It´s actually in any situation, V is always pronounced as a B."

What about vamos a ver then? Don't know why, but the v in ver seems to me to be always pronounced as a v, albeit a rather soft sounding v. Maybe there's a special rule for the verb ver as well? Maria? ¡Ayudame, por favor! (help me,please!)

Talking of rules, another problem that I (and I'm sure many others) have, is knowing (or remembering!) the gender of nouns. masculine = el; Feminine = la. Usually, a noun ending with the letter A is feminine: la cinta, la cucuracha etc.

Pero, aquí es  el problema: la palabra "problema" no sigue esta regla.

But, here's the problem: the word "problem" doesn't follow this rule!

And for that matter, neither does el idioma (language). ¡Madre mia, es muy dificil! (Holy moly, it's difficult! - or words to that effect)

The GOOD news is, Spaniards are VERY sympathetic and forgiving, and you can make a right mess of your genders and grammar and they not only don't mind, they usually can still understand what you 're trying to say. Furthermore, although they're probably dying to wet themselves laughing at your efforts, they're usually far too polite to let it show! Right, Maria?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
28 Mar 2008 9:17 AM by LifeOverseas Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 49 posts Send private message

Vamos a ver, could possibly with some accents sound more like a v, but it´s still a b ponunciation. For that reason it´s quite easy for people to make mistakes when spelling in Spanish (this includes Spaniards) as they may not be sure whether a word spelt with a b or a v.

Another similar problem occurs with ll and y, which are pronounced like a y in english, e.g. paella (pronounced paeya), desayuno (breakfast, pronounced with the y also).

Like 0      
28 Mar 2008 10:55 AM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

I understand that the reason some words ending in A are masculine are that they come from the Greek rather than Latin - certainly the case with problema and idioma but I don't know about día and could easily be wrong as I don't speak Greek!  Then there is the complication of those words starting with a vowel which are feminine but which use the masculine 'el' for the definite article,  the one we used most often probably being el agua.

The good news, as Roberto says, is that you really don't need to worry too much about it as the Spanish are generally enchanted when they meet foreigners who are really trying to communicate in their language and are always ready to help.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
28 Mar 2008 6:05 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Unlike some other nationalities, right?

"The people of those foreign countries are very, very ignorant…..In Paris they just simply opened their eyes and stared when we spoke to them in French! We never did succeed in making those idiots understand their own language." (Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad) 

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Mar 2008 9:58 AM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Is there either a teacher or language school in Sabinillas that anyone can recommend please?

I have also heard that whilst the local schools close in August they provide spansih lessons in 3 categories basically being idiots ok and good!

tia

shaun

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2008 6:35 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Many town halls offer free (or nearly) Spanish courses for foreigners. Worth checking out.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Mar 2008 9:23 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Shaun, go into the part of the town hall which is opposite Hamilton Homes.  That's where they do the courses over the summer.

There is an English guy who works for the town hall called Chris Olsen (663 969 636) who can probably advise you, but he's based at Villa Matilda which is opposite Supersol on the hill.

Anyway, back to topic....

"Es sabado por la noche y me hace falta una cerveza" - It's Saturday night and I need a beer!!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

spanish schools - 3 posts
long term rentals in almeria - 0 posts
Mucia car rental closes at 1300hrs help - 4 posts
Newbie - 1 posts
El Soto Phase 2 Prices - 4 posts
Cheaper Utilities in Spain - 0 posts
builder needed!! - 2 posts
new commercial in Rojales - 11 posts
Is anybody from Cox? - 6 posts
Rugs and Kilims - 0 posts
Taxes for the self employed (residents) - 0 posts
Webcam in eclipse? - 4 posts
What has happened to --- - 6 posts
Any alternative to google Earth? - 7 posts
Can anyone recommend a good estate agent in the Estepona area? - 5 posts
billy - 1 posts
long rent in Ayamonte - 0 posts
Wanted full or 3/4 size snooker table - 2 posts
New Community - First Meeting - 16 posts
Indoor swimming pools - Murcia - 2 posts
Is living in Spain Boring? - 9 posts
La Condessa Mijas Golf - 7 posts
crime in costa blanca - 10 posts
profile - 1 posts
Water Deposit? - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 114

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x