Editing posts.............

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Have I missed something or am I just having ANOTHER blonde moment?

I notice the 'edit' thingy is just on the last post made in a thread......................is that so no one can retract any words so that everyone can follow the thread?

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
19 Mar 2008 4:17 PM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar
Karen,

No, it's not you. On a discussion thread last week, a few people were complaining about how when people go back and edit a post, it can alter the whole perception of a thread, or make it difficult to follow.

As a result, Justin advised that he was going to change the set-up so that only the last post on a thread may be edited, but that as soon as someone replied to it, then that was it.

I've only recently got involved with posting on the site, and I must say, some of the threads were virtually indecipherable, due to people having edited their posts to extinction. Hopefully, this will make the site more accessible to new members.

Mark.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2008 4:20 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
I think it's a really good idea and you are right, sometimes it has been impossible to sort out what's been said. I must have missed the chat about it!! Thankyou for explaining to me.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
19 Mar 2008 4:24 PM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar
Karen,

The thread was in the General Chit-Chat forum. Hopefully, I've linked to it below.

www.eyeonspain.com/Secure/ForumPostsDesc.aspx

Mark.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2008 4:28 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Thanks Mark, read it through now. Had seen some of it before but not the part about editing......................got stuck with the 'dirty dancing' !!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
19 Mar 2008 6:54 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hi Karen

As Mark said, we revived the "bullying" of Justin last week to get the editing facility changed. All we need now is for a preview function so that you can check your post before committing, all the more important if you realise there is a problem and someone else quickly replies before you have a chance to put it right .

Mark

Like 0      
26 Mar 2008 10:13 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Justin

I've found a problem with this!

Someone has just put their first post on & they have included their email address but if I post telling them to edit the post, they won't be able to!

I have sent them a PM but what would they do if someone did post - would they PM you & you change it?

Regards

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 8:29 AM by SpanishTogs Star rating in Gales. 174 posts Send private message

We were recently advised (politely) by one of our future neighbours on our development forum that we were giving too much personal information out re dates etc we'd be coming and going.  That was a bit of a wake-up call and I was grateful that I was able to go back and 'edit' (sometimes deleting in full) my postings.   I think, for that reason alone, we should be able to withdraw any of our personal comments.

Cheers

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 10:44 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I can see what you are saying, but I think you should then go via the EOS team to have the comments removed (perhaps they should have more moderators if workload is too high). When you sign up, the t&c's tell you not to divulge too much personal information, but I appreciate it is not always clear the reasons for this type of warning, especially if new to forum life. Unfortunately a trawl of the forum will find many threads where useful information has been given, then someone becomes upset for whatever reason and deletes their posts. This then defeats the idea of a self help community as the useful information has now been deleted, which in turn means the thread no longer makes sense, or worse still, the post is edited to make someone look stupid!

I am sure there must be some sort of code that can be implemented to pick up on email addresses in the message body, and that in turn can flag a warning to the user before posting. Of course, once we get the preview post function, there is no need to edit as you will have been able to see wat you are writing before commiting.

Mark

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 11:18 AM by SpanishTogs Star rating in Gales. 174 posts Send private message

Although one is normally very wary of giving information out over the net, the danger in this type of forum where generally, (and definitely in my case) you're mainly only talking to the people who have bought on your particular development, is that you can get carried away 'chatting' with friends and forget that it's also an open site where anyone can view and make use of information such as No ** on so-and-so development is going to be away on such-a-such a date, therefore leaving us wide open to burglaries. O.K. I understand that it may mess up some links in threads, but I don't think anyone would edit (delete) their messages completely if not essential. 

My

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 11:18 AM by SpanishTogs Star rating in Gales. 174 posts Send private message

Although one is normally very wary of giving information out over the net, the danger in this type of forum where generally, (and definitely in my case) you're mainly only talking to the people who have bought on your particular development, is that you can get carried away 'chatting' with friends and forget that it's also an open site where anyone can view and make use of information such as No ** on so-and-so development is going to be away on such-a-such a date, therefore leaving us wide open to burglaries. O.K. I understand that it may mess up some links in threads, but I don't think anyone would edit (delete) their messages completely if not essential. 

My opinion anyway.

Cheers

This message was last edited by SpanishTogs on 3/30/2008.

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 11:46 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I agree, in an ideal world no- one would edit their posts just for the sake of it, but a trawl through the forum will find that there are many threads that don't make sense because 1 or 2 people have deleted their comments, some members have deleted every post made when they left the forum, that can't be right can it? It was for this reason that the edit facility was requested to be removed by some members (myself included) in order that the true course of a thread can be seen to run.

I appreciate it is easy to get carried away, I have done so myself and have previously made use of the edit facility, placing a comment in the edited area explaining why it had been done. If everyone did that and only removed personal information, it wouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately it doesn't happen.

Mark

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 11:48 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Spanish Togs

I agree with you totally. That is why I tend not to put on the forum where we are although I have said when we are going to be in Spain. So it just reminds us all of the many who would trawl the internet looking for opportunities to find out where and when properties would be empty. I have also pm'd a lot of members in the past to advise them of the same and they have been grateful for this sort of advice. The way of the world these days sadly but we must always be on our guard. So the not being able to edit past posts really is a bit annoying really. But if it is to be then as mark says perhaps justin could be do it in that sort of circumstance. Sorry Justin more work for you

Thanks again for the reminder.

Like 0      
19 Apr 2008 11:18 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Justin, if you see this, are we any nearer having preview posts seeing as if we want to edit we need to do it immediately in case other members post straight after us ?

You did say this in HERE

12 Dec 2007 6:03 PM

Hi Everyone, Santa here!

The preview function is on the to do list.  I push it up the order a bit...

Like 0      
20 Apr 2008 6:26 AM by SpanishTogs Star rating in Gales. 174 posts Send private message

I still say 'tough' to those who can't follow a link.  Not ideal I admit, but the safety and privacy for myself and my family, comes well before following threads on EOS .  Life's ain't perfect and there's plenty of info available on the internet without having to follow threads such as these.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2008 3:54 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Not wanting to be controversial, but the flip side to your comment is:

"Tough, why should people that join a forum and don't read the terms and conditions of posting spoil it for other members by randomly removing posts because they have taken offence at what someone else has said?"

Life ain't pergfect for sure, that is why if you do decide to post your email against forum rules/ advice, then you are still able to contact the moderators/ admin to have your faux pas corrected.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wanted Villa to Rent - 2 posts
Liquid restrictions - hand luggage - 25 posts
Kim & Tim - 3 posts
short term let - 1 posts
ready to complete but exchange rate so bad!! - 28 posts
Dona Julia El Patio Completion Date - 0 posts
Mr Micky - 2 posts
If you need an independent Spanish Lawyer go to Maria de Castro and her excellent team - 21 posts
Passing the buck on Consumer Rights? - 6 posts
Student111?????????? - 9 posts
European Health & Safety Regulations for Swimming Pools - 4 posts
Spanish Translator needed - can anyone help ??? - 1 posts
Secondary Water - 10 posts
Natasha - 1 posts
CAR RENTAL - 1 posts
Buying Tax Free - 1 posts
HELP..... Spanish Translator Needed - 7 posts
Site Visit to Manilva Beach 26th May 2007 - 1 posts
Newcomer ! - 5 posts
Easter Opening Hours in Spain - 12 posts
LoFO - Application For vs Granted - 4 posts
Complaints - 2 posts
Breach of contract? - 45 posts
How can they do this....... - 31 posts
Hiya all, newbie here after any advice on livng and working in Spain please. - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x