What has happened to EOS?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Feb 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Is it just me or has all the colour gone from EOS? I also don't see the Google ads across the top, just below the buttons as before. Are you playing again Justin?

Mark

Like 0      
22 Feb 2008 12:10 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Yeah, Mark, rather bland innit ? 

Needs More  (You didn't come to my party last night, Mark. )

Join in the celebrations for More's 3,000th post party

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/22/2008.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2008 12:13 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Mark

Yes, we're playing again!  We've got several new features coming for the site over the next 8 weeks and we're having to make some further changes to the site to be able to incorporate them.  We're just trying to do it bit by bit to make sure it all works as we go along.  It will all make sense soon!

We never intended the site to grow so much so it's not well set up for growth. 

We are also slowly removing the Google ads as we don't like the fact that we can't choose who the advertisers are....but they do help towards the bills and with all the work that needs to be done we can't remove them entirely...yet!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 Feb 2008 2:21 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Have put some colour back in for you More!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
23 Feb 2008 9:35 AM by Alexander Star rating in northwich cheshire. 6 posts Send private message

Hi Justin , We don,t mind lots of colour, but please don,t add all of those fast moving things, they,re very irritating. Regards Alex.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2008 12:15 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Justin, the forum is a bit Xfiles at the moment. One minute posts are there, the nextthey have gone. I was going to look at a reply from More on the Search, search, search thread and despite my best efforts, it no longer exists. Instead I get a custom 404 message. this is about the third page that has been removed recently, is this gremlins in the modernisation process or something else?

Mark

Like 0      
26 Feb 2008 1:47 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Yes my searching, searching, searching  thread has been deleted as I too got what Mark got. Not fair that total rubbish is left & good stuff (and to do with the forum too) gets removed.

Congrats Mark on 600 posts, come on, keep up.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/26/2008.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 5:52 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Another post bites the dust!!! (http://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/return.aspx?n=2777&t=3589&uAlthough, I can understand that it may have been seen as a personal attack. Surely though it would be more prudent for the posts to be deleted, an explanation put in place by Justin or another moderator and the thread locked. Keep coming up against 404's is becoming a pain in the rear end. Care to comment please Justin?

It still doesn't detract from the fact that you should not be able to edit or delete your posts oce a reply has been made.

Mark

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 6:41 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
I agree with Markfish here, Justin.  Maybe just adding a one-liner when deleting a thread/post would suffice and explain to those trying to link to the relevant posts?  (like you do when somebody posts an ad and you say "against terms of posting", etc).

I also agree that members should not be able to edit their posts after someone else has posted in the same thread - it's really frustrating when a member edits a post when other members have already responded - totally throws the thread out sometimes!!

You've really got your work cut out for you here, Justin, with us lot!!!  But don't despair - I'm bringing out loads of the best Lebanese tahina for Susan in the summer, so lots of great munchies in store!!!!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 2/27/2008.

Like 0      
29 Feb 2008 12:18 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I take the points on board.  Resources is the problem, lack of them.

I'm about to start advertising for 2 or 3 developers to work full time as I really need the support now.

Too much to do.  If all goes to plan (and there is one!) then we should see some huge improvements very shortly.

I keep all comments and suggestions so I know what needs to be done.

Justin

Like 0      
29 Feb 2008 1:09 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Justin, as I know you'll be watching this thread please would you move Cave houses in Rojales out of the General Chat board into the What's the area like? board where similar threads are. That will stop it getting buried in General Chat as it's a great topic.

Ta.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2008 1:13 PM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar
Another point. Don't know if anyone else has noticed, or whether the glitch is at my end, but there seems to be a problem with some of the longer threads.

The main page shows there's been a new post on a thread, but when I go to the page and scroll down, sometimes the new post doesn't appear.

But, if you press the "Reverse order of posts" button, the new post is there.

And, on the more popular threads, it can be repeated with several posts missing.

For example: in the "Editing Posts" thread, if I scroll down normally, the last post showing is Fibby's from 11 Mar 2008 9:06 PM, but if I reverse the order of posts, there are 9 more that have been posted since then.

Ultimately, it's not a big deal, the posts can still be read, but I wondered if it was a symptom of a glitch in the programming.

Regards,
Mark.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2008 1:49 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Mark

I can't see why that would happen (although that doesn't mean it isn't happenning).

The "editing" thread is ok for me both ways.  Is any other thread a problem so I can try it out?

Thanks

Justin

Like 0      
12 Mar 2008 2:09 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Don't want to appear dense here, as I'm sure you have probably already thought of this, but just in case ....  could it be that Mark has (in his profile) set the default order of posts to appear as oldest to newest, rather than vice versa??

Only a thought!!

Like 0      
12 Mar 2008 2:14 PM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar
Justin,

Had a quick look and the "KathleenBaby" thread on General chit-chat is the same for me. 30 posts, but when I scroll down, the last available post is Pitby's at 6.30pm yesterday. I think there have been another 12 or so since then.

Thinking about it, the 2 threads I've mentioned both seem to go awry after 18 posts. What's the usual page capacity before a second page is introduced in a thread? Is that a possible issue?

BTW, I've tried this in IE7 and Mozilla Firefox and the situation is repeated on both for me.

I know you're busy. Saw it in another thread. Like I said, it's no biggie, just thought it worth mentioning, given the work you're doing on the site.

All the best,
Mark.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2008 2:18 PM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar
Actually, Justin, I've just had another look and it appears the problem is that the "Next" button at the bottom of the page is not highlighted as it used to be.
I'd assumed it was a page capacity thing, but it might just be an issue with the system not recognising a 2nd page has been opened.
Hope this makes sense.
Mark.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2008 6:31 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I think it may be a browser cache problem? I see this if I leave a thread and come back to it same day. I need to hit the refresh button for the threads to appear.

Mark

Like 0      
12 Mar 2008 7:10 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Personally, I think it's a settings problem in members' own browsers/profiles.  I use boh  Firefox and Safari and never have a problem when I go to EOS.  Even when I check it out in the morning (after you lot continue on during the night our time!!) it always loads with the latest posts.  So agree with Markfish, most definitely a browser/personal settings problem.  As I said before, Mark (Hybridanglo) might not have had reason to believe there was a problem if his settings were "new to oldest posts" in his profile.  Not sure, but that's what I think!!

Like 0      
12 Mar 2008 8:17 PM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar

Do you know what, guys? Just ignore me. I'm having one of those days. My profile setting was oldest to newest, but I don't think that was the problem.

I've convinced myself that the buttons at the bottom of the page "Next" and "Last" used to be in bold, or a colour, when the thread went onto a new page. Now, I'm pretty sure I'm confusing this place with another site and sending those lovely EoS people on a wild goose chase.

Blame it on the paint fumes - we're giving our Leeds apartment the once over before we move and rent it out. That and my predilection for little drink while posting.
Sorry.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2008 8:20 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Apartment in Leeds? Sounds like a nicer area than where I live .

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Radio 4 - 1 posts
Exchanging properties? - 1 posts
New development. What do people usually do for digital TV - 14 posts
Public Transport - 3 posts
Telephone & Broadband Packages - 6 posts
Telephone & Broadband Packages - 3 posts
rf1798+ rf 1965 - 0 posts
Join in the celebrations for More's 3,000th post party. - 61 posts
CAR RENTAL FOR RENTERS - 0 posts
football clubs for kids? - 7 posts
Project - University of Roehampton - 5 posts
Tour Of Jardines At Condado De Alhama - 2 posts
whats it really like? - 8 posts
working with the elderley in torrevieja - 42 posts
Bilbao or Santander - 4 posts
re - 0 posts
Replacement Shutters - 0 posts
Los montesinos - English speaking doctors? - 4 posts
Sea & Sun Hills, Estepona - 3 posts
What is best Uk taxation or Spanish - 2 posts
help ! any ifo on moving to spain x - 13 posts
Bureaucracy can seriously damage your family ! - 3 posts
Polaris World Nicklaus Trail Offer - 2 posts
Los montesinos - Doctors? - 2 posts
cert of habitation. - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x