INTERNET BANKING - SCAM EMAILS

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Nov 2007 12:00 AM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

For those of you that use internet banking, I just thought I would bring this to everyones attention.

In the past 4 days I have received 3 scam emails, supposedly from my Bank:

• It says that I have not used my internet banking for some time - I use it daily
  • It says that my internet banking has been suspended/ restricted - it is working with no problems
  • it says that I just need to click on the link to log on & all will be sorted out
  • Click on the link & this is where it worries me - the log on screen is exactly the same as the one I would normally see.

Now, I have worked for LTSB for 29 years & as I work in the office that deals with financial crime, money laundering & fraud, I would have been extremely stupid if I had logged on in this way.

I know that most even slightly intelligent people know about these scams & would not log on but as I said above, I think some people may be lulled into a sense of false security by the fact that the log on screen is so familiar.

Please never log on in this way. Your bank will NEVER email you & ask you to log on to verify your details. If you get any emails like this, you can forward them to your Bank for investigation - emailscams@lloydstsb.co.uk I don't know the details for other banks but I found this on our internet site under security.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
30 Nov 2007 7:31 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Noreen,

I always ignore these e-mails.

If e-mails from an institution are genuine, they always address you by name, scam ones don't............

Regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
30 Nov 2007 7:36 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

The absolute dead giveaway on one of these that I received this week was that it came from

Lloydstsb@Yahoo.co.uk

I think these expressions say it all.

Fibby, I agree ignoring them is best but my curiosity got the better of me & I couldn't resist taking a look. I just think it is really clever that the log on screen is so familiar & I just think that it makes some people that bit more vulnerable.

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 11/30/2007.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
01 Dec 2007 6:26 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Noreen,

And I bet they were screaming "Yahoo" each time they got someone who actually gave their banking details!!!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
02 Dec 2007 10:11 AM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

I received the email below from a colleague. This is not an email scam, but a telephone credit card one.  Please pass it on to your friends and colleagues.

This is what has just been passed onto us - Trading Standards are looking into it but thought you might like to pass it on.

This one is pretty slick since they provide Y O U with all the information, except the one piece they want.

Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it.  This information is worth reading.  By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself.

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on Thursday from "MasterCard".

The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My badge number is 12460.  Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify.  This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank) did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for £497.99 from a Marketing company based in London?"  When you say "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account.  This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 to £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards.  Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes".  The caller continues - "I will be starting a fraud investigation.  If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on the back of your card (0800-VISA) and ask for Security.

You will need to refer to this Control Number.  The caller then gives you a 6 digit number.  "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works the caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card."  He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers."  There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card.  These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card.  The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him.  After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card.  Do you have any other questions?"  After you say, "No," the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number.  But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question.  Are we glad we did!  The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £497.99 was charged to our card.

Long story - short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account.  VISA is reissuing us a new number.  What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card.  Don't give it to them.  Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or MasterCard directly for verification of their conversation.  The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card!  If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit.  However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam.  This time I didn't let him finish.  I hung up!  We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA.  The police said they are taking several of these reports daily!  They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening .

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 5:54 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Here's one I had today.

Note the link address ends in .es

Oh dear, these e-mails coming from our beloved Spain?!

They need to get their English polished too!

Here it is.......................

<

<

News Alert:

Banking with Natwest Online is about to become even more secure!

As a valued Natwest online customers, the security of your identity and personal account information is extremely important. We are installing Enhanced Online Security as an additional way of protecting your Natwest access.

Enhanced Your Online Security Access will allow Natwest banking to verify your identity from your computer anywhere you bank online. Your online account access information's would be recognized and be notified you've signed on to Natwest online banking. This two-way process ensures that both parties are confident of each other's identity.

Every customer that uses Natwest online Account banking will required to Re-activate his or her Online Security.

Click on sign in your Online Banking for quick and easy process to Re-activate your Online Security Access .

Sign in to Online Banking <

Thanks for taking the time to learn about our upcoming plan for Enhanced Online Security - it's one more way that Natwest Building Society online banking can makes your online banking experience better.Remember always fill in your Memorable word correctly

© 2007 All Rights Reserved

https://www.nwolb.com/brands/NWB/images/nav_natwest_logo.gif> http://www.natwest.com/images/campaigns/personal/fixed_rate_bond/lhs_evening.gif> http://www.cristoreysevilla.es/cr/media/Login.php>

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 6:03 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

I get a couple of these every day - and they must wonder why I dont reply to them confirming my bank details - well i dont bank with any of those banks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Also the Nigerian scams of having millions of dollars stached away, all I gotta do is give them MY nbank details to send it to me then I send it on to them minus 10%........................

And the lottery/bingo/lucky dips emails - and all I have to do is pay for the bank charges and notary fees for them to send the money to me................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Give me a break guys - I KNOW Im blonde but thats really taking the mickey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 6:57 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Rixxy

I know what you mean - some of the scam emails are ridiculously inept & amateurish but that is why I posted this thread, because the second one that I received was so good ( & I work for the Bank concerned) so if it made me hesitate & take a second look, I am sure the less suspecting & more vulnerable may have been taken in.

The example posted by Auntie Em is scary too - again it is the less cynical of us that may be fooled.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

inspect a home spain - 6 posts
inspect a home spain - 2 posts
Legal action against Palmera Properties and Mirador - 2 posts
EASYJET... NEW ROUTE FROM MAY ... NEWCASTLE TO MURCIA - 0 posts
Can anyone help me??? - 1 posts
EasyJet have released Bristol to Murcia & Alicante summer flights - 15 posts
Mojon Hills nr Puerto de Mazarron, Region of Murcia - 0 posts
Automatic Rip Off - 3 posts
Agents cash back lies - 2 posts
Data Protection Act 1999 - 5 posts
Expenditure before establishment of community...... liable or not? - 6 posts
Diabetics in Spain - Medication cost and Medical care - 7 posts
Handball club(s) in granada! - 0 posts
What happened to Interealty? - 6 posts
Health advice - 2 posts
ToysRUs now in Elche, Costa Blanca, just in time for Christmas. - 14 posts
LOVING HOME NEEDED FOR 2 SMALL DOGS - 4 posts
Paying your own taxes in Spain BE AWARE - 0 posts
Embed code in edit feature - 0 posts
IKEA MALAGA - 5 posts
Living In Spain TV - 0 posts
Any Fishermen out There - 4 posts
Last updated thread - 4 posts
Hi - 7 posts
el valle murcia - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x