Getting hold of an NIE number

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jan 2007 12:00 AM by boland83 Star rating. 24 posts Send private message

My wife and I completed the forms for an NIE number at the Spanish consul in London last October - and are still waiting for the NIE number. I have a friend who speaks fluent Spanish who has chased up the office in Madrid (they NEVER answer the phone) - to be told that the forms have beed posted out to our friend's address in Spain twice - but he has received nothing. It is getting beyond a joke now - has anyone erlse had a similar problem - and got a solution?

Like 0      
08 Jan 2007 12:54 AM by westport Star rating in London & Co.Mayo Ire.... 509 posts Send private message

We got our NIE numbers through our solicitor, by giving Power of Attorney. Apparently you need to queue up at a local police station at 5 or 6 in the morning to have any chance of getting one. If this is true or not I am not sure, but for convenience we got our solicitor to do it.

Westport

Like 0      
08 Jan 2007 3:34 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Boland83 there is a special thread dedicated to NIEs - different people appear to have had different experiences with the NIE by using the consul. Someone even posted it as NIEasy.

As Westport says you can apply by POA via your lawyer and get him to deal with it or alternatively try the consulate again or present yourself to the National Police Station in the district you are staying next time you are over with all the relevant documents and apply in person. Westport is a little extreme about 5 in the morning. Marbella central police station is probably the worst on the Costa del Sol and as long as you are there at 8 in the morning you should be fine. Have arrived at Estepona at 8.45 and been third in the queue - I was then seen at about 9.20. Depends on the level of activity at the police station concerned. Just make sure you take the necessary papers and copies as they dont have copying facilities there and it will be hellish frustrating to be turned away after queuing all that time.

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
08 Jan 2007 4:06 PM by kcpropserv Star rating in Costa del Sol. 8 posts Send private message

Hi Boland83  I agree with Smiley comments. Make sure that you go to the right police station for the district that you live in, if you don't you will be turned away as I was after waiting 4 plus hours.  Don't expect anyone who speaks English to help you or application forms that are printed in English, there won't be any.  You will need a couple of good photocopies of your passport (the page with your photo and personal details on).  The application form is only a one page form requiring your personal details, name, dob, address in spain, parents name and dob etc. Its not difficult but unless you can read/speak Spanish can be a bit of a challenge.

Keith KC Property Services

Like 0      
08 Jan 2007 4:34 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Boland83.  As I read you are applying through the Spanish Embassy in UK.  Wouldn't it be better to ask them to send it your UK address?

We found the process extremely easy in Spain.  We went to the local ayuntamiento (make sure you get the right one) and waited about an hour, from 9 to about 10 in the morning.  People said they had been queuing since 6 but I couldn't understand why.  Provided the forms are filled in before you arrive (make sure you get a Spanish speaker to help you fill them in) and you had copies of your passports and a photograph,  it was pretty easy.  We collected the NIE cards when we next visited, about 8 weeks later.  Again we queued for less than an hour and it was all free.  Provided you are prepared to give up a morning of your visit it is fairly hassle free provided the forms are filled in correctly, otherwise you will be sent to the back of the queue with new forms to complete.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2007 5:41 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

It should be noted that if the NIE is applied for here they will only keep it a set period of time. Not sure what that timeframe is but had a client about a year ago whose representative didnt return to pick up the certificate for about 9 months and they had ditched it so had to go through it all over again.

Rgds 

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 12:15 AM by Antleigh Star rating. 34 posts Send private message

We made an early morning trip to Cartagena to apply for our NIE numbers - got there at 9.00, as the office opened, and were out in 5 minutes - it was all very quick and easy, but we had good guidelines from our agent (including ignoring the queue of hopeful immigrants and proceeding straight to the guy on the door). Unfortunately our agent wasn't quite so good at picking up the NIE for us, as they had kindly offered to do - we did get it eventually but I think narrowly missed having to go out to apply again because of their oversight!

Like 0      
13 Jan 2007 10:06 PM by volfen Star rating in San Cayetano. 97 posts Send private message

volfen´s avatar

we were taken by by our agent to Alicanti to get our NIE we were first in the queue  cos we got there at 5am  by 5 15 the queue was quite big   was very quick and simple once they opened the doors   quite painless

sheila and alan

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Fuerteventuramar II - 3 posts
Furniture Recommendation - 16 posts
Happy New Year to You All - 0 posts
Finestrat - 1 posts
DISTRESSED PROPERTY SALES - 7 posts
Villa Cashback for For Polaris World - 0 posts
Angel De Miraflores - 17 posts
Pension? - 25 posts
Whats Happening? - 24 posts
State of the rentals market - 14 posts
I'm moving to spain some advice please - 47 posts
caretaker/cleaner - 0 posts
State of the Rentals Market - 14 posts
Ross Legal Services - 3 posts
Developer fees - 3 posts
Spanish Retreat Security, Reduce crime! - 0 posts
Security in the Costa Blanca area - 4 posts
Benahavis - 0 posts
Happy New Year to Justin & The Team & all the Forum Members! - 1 posts
Monte Selwo Up-date - 7 posts
Architects/Project managers/Builders - 4 posts
Contracts - 3 posts
Banks or Bandits - 6 posts
When you cant complet - 8 posts
MRI experiences please - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x