Questions for anybody who made the move with children

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by Troythecat Star rating in Stirlingshire, soon .... 72 posts Send private message

Troythecat´s avatar

Hi

Just wondered if anybody out there can help me with a few questions about the little un's......

Mines will be 9 years old and is football daft, seems to have a talent (ok I am biased) and plays/trains a lot here through the Local FC and the School. On top of that we have good access to all sporting activities now. I am wondering how this side of things are in Spain.....do the kids have good access to Sports and football without having to pay lots of money?

How did you Kids settle when you moved? Did they settle in well at school and get on with the Spanish kids OK? (I know there will be other nationalities there also) Did they pick up the language well?  Did they pine for home?

Did you opt for the State School or pay for international school? Is there much difference?

Lastly are you glad you made the move? was it all you thought it would be?

This sounds like I am conducting a survey!

Any info gratefully received!  Margaretx

Like 0      
09 Oct 2007 5:56 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Oh wow - I think a lot of this was covered in other threads - might be worth doing a search to find it but anyhow, I came here to Spain 12+ years ago with littl uns. The state schools are great, very friendly especially the smaller ones, its the secondary schools that can get a bit ahiry - ideal to move to private for those 4 years if you can afford it. If yours go to Spanish school then private spnaish schools are way cheaper than international ones.

The sports are very behind, no playing fields etc, but many after school sports not too expensive and held at the local athletics gournds usually. My lad went to the football which is taken very seriously here from all ages - twice a week triaing then games. Now plays rugby.

Daughter did badminton, then running for the town!

Kids settled straight away, got the language quickly but then they were younger - most schools have non spanish europeans and put on special calsses to help them catch up. I feel the system is very good academically and keeps on top of the kids with testing. They never pined for the UK (not home now)

Went for state as hated the thought of paying for it and glad I did that although both went to private secondary schools as not enough encouragement to do well. Daughter now studying last year Bachillerato heading for Uni in Science subjects and will do well, aslo speaks frenach and some german too as well as fluent english and spanish.

Yes glad I made the move - never looked back and never regretted it despite the tough times and there have been loads!

Good luck!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
09 Oct 2007 8:20 PM by Troythecat Star rating in Stirlingshire, soon .... 72 posts Send private message

Troythecat´s avatar

Hi Rixxy very interesting, thanks.

I am getting loads of positive feedback about moving to Spain and I really am looking forward to it now   Margaretx

P.S did you learn Spanish before you went? Are you fluent now?

Like 0      
10 Oct 2007 11:54 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hah - language! Well I took a 10 week course in the UK only to be told by the tutor that when you do arrive in Andalucia its the equivalent of learning english then going to Glasgow!

I finally managed to learn numbers, and as long as I could say quiero (I want) and then point to the article, ask for a beer/wine and then say ma duelle (it hurts - again pointing to where!) I realized I could get by!

Came here and then tried my hardest to avoid looking at the till at the shops and get used to the language, bit by bit picked it up and practised words/verbs.  Had some real howlers in mistakes - as we all have - but now Im about 85% there. Nearly all my clients are english so its lack of practise, but I can pretty much do whatever needs doing and Im one of those pains in the backside that wants to know the system inside and out, so I make a point of finding out how to do things at least once - then if I pay someone I know Im not being ripped off!

Both kids are fluent so anything really awkward or if Im feeling ill and cant be bothered then I stick them on the phone or send themto do it - good learning for them!

But I do find a few glasses of wine REALLY makes me fluent - in any language!!! 

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
10 Oct 2007 2:50 PM by Troythecat Star rating in Stirlingshire, soon .... 72 posts Send private message

Troythecat´s avatar
thanks Rixxy, we are trying to find the best way to learn Spanish...none of us fancy evening classes!   Margaretx

Like 0      
10 Oct 2007 4:30 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
I was advised to get a spanish boyfriend! Goodness knows what part of thelanguage I would have learned with that!!!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
10 Oct 2007 4:41 PM by Troythecat Star rating in Stirlingshire, soon .... 72 posts Send private message

11 Oct 2007 8:50 AM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

hi margaret

i cant answer the kids question - as you know i dont live in spain ... yet!

but in terms of learning the language, i have found that having a spanish tutor i have learnt 10 times as much as going to a class which i found quite boring.  I am not fluent by any stretch of the imagination, my spanish is very basic, but after a few months with a tutor i found that i could manage the basics fairly well.  The only trouble is that as i could make myself understood the Spainish people i speak to sometimes think i am more able than i am and launch into a great long conversation at double quick speed and i am entirely lost!

I also got into the habit of watching Spanish TV and listening to Spanish music to try to "immerse" myself in the language ... at first i hadnt a clue what they were talking about, but now im begining to pick up words and phrases and can make sense out of some of it.  Not a lot though!

Last week i went so far as to buy myself a spanish novel to read.  It may take me some considerable time to get anywhere with it, but its a start.

I like the idea of a Spanish boyfriend ... but i dont think my husband would agree!  So i will have to make do with a Spanish tutor (when he comes back from his sabbatical in Spain!)

This message was last edited by AuntieEm on 10/11/2007.

Like 0      
11 Oct 2007 2:02 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Aunti Em - he could have one as well, then youre both happy!! Oh and learning!!!!!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
11 Oct 2007 2:11 PM by Troythecat Star rating in Stirlingshire, soon .... 72 posts Send private message

Troythecat´s avatar
Em we were thinking about a private tutor that would come to the home, but haven't a clue how to go about that yet.  I don't fancy night classes, would prefer something a bit more "intense". Spanish Novel? You are brave I can't even find the time to read an English one    Margaretx

Like 0      
11 Oct 2007 3:27 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
My wife and I started Spanish lessons with a home tutor...and boy is it tough...but its well worth the pain...

My son is doign Spanish in school (he's 8) and my eldest daughter sits in with us..but is find it very hard..

My view is...if you want your kids to go to a spanish state school you have to learn..but it is a struggle

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Watching Chelsea in Spain - 1 posts
Salvador Artesano - 24 posts
Advise please on renting in a community - 6 posts
Help! - we've been told we cannot rent ou our apartment! - 3 posts
TECNOLOGIA URBANISTICA - 151 posts
españaexpo 07 - 3 posts
selling spanish property - 16 posts
Los Alcazares - 5 posts
Fiscal help... Gestor? - 10 posts
bus train travel - 2 posts
Santa Ana Del Monte Jumilla Golf - 0 posts
IKEA Malaga - 45 posts
Selling off-plan apartment - no guarantees? - 5 posts
shirley1 - 1 posts
Anyone been to Jerez recently - 0 posts
For everyone... - 1 posts
Urgent protest action required...Monarch Flights, Gatwick-Granada - 10 posts
one bed apartment for holiday/short term lets IN PLAYA FLAMENCA - 1 posts
Diving Schools - 1 posts
where to buy a computer - 18 posts
Help With Polaris World - 5 posts
Newsletter drop down Banner - 1 posts
All i read is moan,moan Has no one brought and is HAPPY - 30 posts
Purchase fees,advice needed. - 1 posts
GP Needed ? any suggestions - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x