Help! - we've been told we cannot rent ou our apartment!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by svl Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

It's a long story, but I'll try and keep it short.

We purchased a beautiful 1 bed apt 3 years ago in Mallorca, when we bought, we were told by the owner, agent and solicitor that we could rent it out, there are no restrictions on our deeds and it is freehold, so were told it is fine to do this, which was what we needed to do as we have a 80% mortgage on it, and as it is such a lovely complex the community charge is a lot higher than others.   Before we purchased we met with the Manager of the complex, and he explained their rental system should we wish to join, but there would have been no financial benefit other than you could use your own apartment for a certain amount of weeks and they would let it out for the rest of the season, but there would be no community charge payable.  This particular complex is ran by a Swiss community, and many owners have had their apartments for many years, do not have mortgages, or have had them left in a will from a family member. (so more or less just like buying a timeshare!)

We have let ours out for the past 3 years, mainly to friends and family members, and also take several bookings from an owners rental website, but over the past year or so, there are more English owners purchasers there and all wishing to do this, as we all have mortgages, and have been threatened with legal action if we rent our 'freehold' apartments out privately, and not through their system.

We have tried to sell the apartment, but when prospective buyers visit the complex to talk to the Manager about the community charges etc, they are only being told the community charge payable, as if they are in the rental system and do not let out through them, (i.e. they receive all cleaning, maintenance, electric paid etc) and not given the actual charge if they were not to be a member of their system which is not compulsory, like we are, and they are all told they cannot rent out privately, so, consequently, we cannot get anybody to buy it!

We are now in a position that we cannot sell and cannot afford to keep the apartment if we cannot rent it out..........we would be VERY grateful if anybody out there has any suggestions to what we can do please!! 

Like 0      
09 Oct 2007 12:17 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
svl, sorry to hear your dilemma!

Not sure if this relates to you/your property, but see this link about a brit being fined 20,000 pounds for letting out her property in Majorca.

www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml

I recalled reading about it earlier this year.  Maybe this will help you with further enquiries.

Al the best!

Like 0      
09 Oct 2007 12:41 PM by svl Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks Pitby for the post, actually our complex does hold a tourist license, so luckily we cannot be fined like that poor lady you refer to, we read that same article with interest earlier in the year also.

it is the community that our dictating we rent through them..............we wouldn't mind doing that if they actually gave us a percentage of the income!!!, ..........we have been using a lawyer, but I think they have even given up on this as it seems such a grey area! our last email from them told us it is up to us to decide what we carry on doing, our lawyers thinks we can rent privately and the lawyer of the complex is saying we can't!

Like 0      
09 Oct 2007 5:58 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Test the water - rent and see what they do!

If you rent it from the Uk you could always say they are friends using it - if the pay you in the uk its definately a grey area as to where the contract was made, so providing you pay your taxes, what can they do??

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

TECNOLOGIA URBANISTICA - 151 posts
españaexpo 07 - 3 posts
selling spanish property - 16 posts
Los Alcazares - 5 posts
Fiscal help... Gestor? - 10 posts
bus train travel - 2 posts
Santa Ana Del Monte Jumilla Golf - 0 posts
IKEA Malaga - 45 posts
Selling off-plan apartment - no guarantees? - 5 posts
shirley1 - 1 posts
Anyone been to Jerez recently - 0 posts
For everyone... - 1 posts
Urgent protest action required...Monarch Flights, Gatwick-Granada - 10 posts
one bed apartment for holiday/short term lets IN PLAYA FLAMENCA - 1 posts
Diving Schools - 1 posts
where to buy a computer - 18 posts
Help With Polaris World - 5 posts
Newsletter drop down Banner - 1 posts
All i read is moan,moan Has no one brought and is HAPPY - 30 posts
Purchase fees,advice needed. - 1 posts
GP Needed ? any suggestions - 1 posts
bankers draft rip off - 21 posts
just to say hi, - 5 posts
I dont know where to start, help! - 36 posts
12th october - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x