Urgent protest action required...Monarch Flights, Gatwick-Granada

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar
I have just received notification that Monarch are removing their Gatwick Granada service, effective November 3rd. They say its down to lack of support...The removal of this service means that Malaga is now the only viable alternate...With Malaga about to start a major reconstruction programme, its really not an optionsince the airport is at at saturation point already. The Ryanair service from Stansted to Granada is just about OK if you live north of the Thames but due to its early departure time is not an alternate for people in Kent, Sussex, Surrey Hamphire etc . The rail link from London Liverpool Street doesnt start early enough so an overnight  stay is necessary.
So come on people...
Get in touch with Monarch and see if we cannot reverse their decision. I have emailed them suggesting that if load factors are a problem then maybe they should reduce the servixce rather than cancel it..  But I dont think load factors come into it. My wife uses the service regularly and reports that the service is normally at least 95% full.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
08 Oct 2007 11:36 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi foxbat

This is always a concern with cut price flights & indeed any flights we rely on once we've bought into a certain area. We always fly out of Bristol as it's a 20 minute taxi ride. We can really only use EasyJet. We prefer to fly to Murcia but do fly to Alicante. Our place is mid distance but Murcia timings are preferable. When we went to book for early November we saw EasyJet are only flying into Murcia on alternate days only, now it's winter, can't recall them doing that last winter though. So, it's Alicante this coming trip. Oh well, it'll mean we can take advantage of the airport's much better "duty free" (Yes I know it's not called Duty Free anymore but I can't think of what it is now called. ) & carry bottles in our hand baggage which frees up cases.

I sympathise with you but  think pleas will fall on deaf ears. Good luck though.

Like 0      
08 Oct 2007 11:42 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Sorry about that Foxbat.

We have very limited flights to very limited areas too.

That was why we chose the CB. It's the only place we can fly to fairly easily.

Flying from Exeter is poor because the taxes are horrendously high so we end up with Easyjet from Bristol too.

It's nearly 2 hours drive though, which is a nightmare on a 6am or 7am flight out.

Perhaps you could consider other airports too Foxbat?

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
22 Oct 2007 8:00 PM by Felix Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi all

I'm cheesed off about this too and have just found a petition that's been started - please find the following link and sign it!

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save-our-granada-to-gatwick-flights.html

Thanks, Louise

Like 0      
22 Oct 2007 9:52 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Many thanks for bringing this to my attention. Having put on my Victor Meldrew hat I contacted Monarch and received only a perfunctory customer services response.

This move by Monarch is incredibly short sighted and I strongly believe that their reasons for pulling out of Granada have little or nothing to do with load factors.

Its only a theory, but since they see themselves as a scheduled airline in competition not so much with Easyjet and Ryanair but the majors like BA and Iberia, just maybe  the plan is to reintroduce the service at higher fares either just before the current contract runs out or shortly thereafter.

They have a captive market for the South of England and Granada province so they are exploiting it to the max degree possible. As for being a low cost airline they never really were... their fares since July have been increasing steadily, particularly in the Granada -Gatwick direction.

There is something going on here that customers are not being told.

Maybe someone at Monarch should  just tell the truth.....Fat chance of that though...

Like 0      
24 Oct 2007 7:22 AM by chappie Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi Foxbat,

Have you tried flying to Almeria! not hthat far from Granada. Monarch, Easy Jet, Jet2, Ryan Air all use Almeria. Nice little airport next to motorway.

Chappie.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2007 7:23 AM by chappie Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi Foxbat,

Have you tried flying to Almeria! not hthat far from Granada. Monarch, Easy Jet, Jet2, Ryan Air all use Almeria. Nice little airport next to motorway.

Chappie.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2007 4:59 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Chappie Hi,

Im not going to be very popular with this but...

Monarch have got the South of England by the short and curlies in respect of the Gatwick- Granada service and they know it.

Stansted and Luton are not acceptable as alternates to Gatwick for people in Kent, Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire, and Dorset.

There is little point in driving nearly 200 miles from our UK address (A31, A27,M3, M25, M1or M11) to Luton or Stansted and then a further 200kms from Almeria to our Granada home. As for doing the UK bit by train, trailing across London from Waterloo to Liverpool Street with kids and cases for the so called Stansted Express holds no attraction whatsoever.

Monarch's Almeria service covers Luton &  Manchester.

Jet 2      Leeds-Bradford & Newcastle

Ryanair-   Stansted & Dublin

BTW Had a quick look at the Ryanair service from Stansted to Almeria...do they actually have any flights during the winter?

Monarch are fully aware of the situation and basically dont give a sh*t.

Has anyone actually seen a formal notification of Monarch's Intention to remove the service?

There has been nothing on the website and despite receiving all of their news updates by email, I have not been notified officially.

The only logical alternative is Malaga- Spain's version of the cattle-market that Gatwick has become. (But at least you can park at Gatwick..).Have to admit though, we have only used Malaga once and that was because we couldnt get a flight with Monarch from LGW to GRX because all their flights were full...and the airport is due for even more upheaval when work starts on the new runway...

Malaga-Gatwick, Cattle-class with Easyjet  (Every man for himself , push and shove and last one through the doors a sissy) really cannot compare with the laid back good service offered by Monarch from Granada.

Might just take a look at Clickair Seville-Gatwick...(immensly do-able...take a look...)

For those people who chose to live on the CDS, Malaga is the only option, with services from many airlines 24/7 but with more and more Brits moving inland away from the Costa del Concrete, the Granada service was perfect with good departure times from both LGW and GRX. Well it was til they changed to an early morning LGW departure;  or was this the first move on Monarch's part to drive people away?

On a slightly different tack now, in a previous post I pointed out the differences between Monarch's outbound and Inbound flights toward the end of their service. If they can afford to charge only £3.99 form LGW to GRX on the 3rd Nov, just how come the fare from GRX to LGW is Eu 156 in the opposite direction. And howabout Eu 478.00 on 27Sept. GRX -LGW?

Someone at Monarch is setting things up (ie prices) to justify their removal of the service.
Having spent nearly forty years in the operations side of the aviation business I know something of what goes on behind the scenes.

As I have said right from the start I am convinced that this has nothing whatsoever to do with load factors. With Christmas and the ski season not so far away ,the removal of the service is an extremely short sighted move on Monarch's part that will do their otherwise good reputation nothing but harm.

The Petition...

.I'm sorry but there are far too many "pretty please, dont take our service away" comments.

Big business takes absolutely no notice of these; what is needed is more of a lynching party response for the accountant that  dreamed this up in the first place, but as with most things when any services are being cut to meet the short term demands of some damned company accountant to meet the half yearly finance figures, the Brits just sit back and let themselves be walked all over.

OK rant over...for the moment anyway!

Like 0      
24 Oct 2007 5:44 PM by Felix Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Blimey, Foxbat, you almost frightened me off replying - but not quite.

I concur completely with your sentiments, but actually there's no harm in signing a petition - I didn't start it, I don't know what effect, if any, it will have, but what's to lose?  With regard to Chappie's suggestions, the same applies for us - we live in Eastbourne and are buying a property in Cordoba province, just over the Malaga province border, so Almeria is of no use at all and Seville would be a couple of hours' journey. 

With regard to formal notification of the cessation of LGW-GRX flights, I emailed Monarch twice to question why all summer 08 routes had been displayed with the exception of Granada and eventually received an email on 21 September as follows:

Hi Louise

Again, apologies for the delay regarding Granada.  I have just checked and have been told we will not be flying the Gatwick/Granada route summer 2008.

If Malaga is your second choice please email me with your requirements and I will be pleased to work out a quote for you.

You can find the flight schedules on our website: www.flymonarch.com

Regards
Monarch Groups

Surely another carrier will take on this route?

Louise

This message was last edited by Felix on 10/24/2007.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2007 8:37 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar
Louise' Felix, Hi,
Thanks for the reply!

Just trying to visualise the response if Southern suddenly decided to remove the Eastbourne- Victoria or SWT took away the Southampton- Waterloo  train service because of 'falling' passenger figures and then suggested that its OK because there are alternate routes from Brighton or Portsmouth!. (At least Southern or SWT would publicise the cancellation of services...)

Accountants and Statisticians are very adept at manipulating  figures to suit the needs of the moment. and that I'm sure is exactly whats going on here.

I was a little suprised at the Customer Services reply to your emails ' I have just checked...etc; seems to suggest that not even they had been told about the service removal! So much for communications.

Nice to know the mushroom syndrome (keep 'em in the dark and feed them sh*t) is still active.

Seem to recall reading somewhere that Cordoba Airport is now looking for European services...this year, next year, sometime,  well Manana anyway...!

Like 0      
24 Oct 2007 9:32 PM by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar
Hi, Felix (Louise) and Chappie.
I'm foxbat's wife and I can tell you that he's not really Victor Meldrew, although sometimes he can sound awfully like him .

Chappie, thanks for your suggestion on Almeria as an  alternative.  It's not an option for us, but it was certainly worth checking out. - Thanks!

Felix, thanks for posting the petition link, despite foxbat's views on the way some companies disregard petitions (which I agree with), I still think we need to make our thoughts known on this matter anyway, and what better way to show Monarch that they are upsetting a great many people than via a petition?  And we did both sign it by the way and make our feelings known....

My personal view on Monarch's cancellation of this service is that there is something going on 'in the background' which Monarch have kept very much to themselves (thus the customer service people wouldn't have had a clue).  It wouldn't surprise me if Monarch didn't reinstate their Granada-Gatwick flights at a future date, saying that they were doing it 'to satisfy public demand', but at a highly inflated price, which they could 'justify' by saying that they had to cancel the service in the first place because costs outweighed profits.

Just my own thoughts on the subject......

It's a damn nuisance though.  I am a very regular traveller on this route (and a non-driver), so the cancellation will make things extremely difficult for me.

Nice to meet you

This message was last edited by summer70 on 10/24/2007.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

one bed apartment for holiday/short term lets IN PLAYA FLAMENCA - 1 posts
Diving Schools - 1 posts
where to buy a computer - 18 posts
Help With Polaris World - 5 posts
Newsletter drop down Banner - 1 posts
All i read is moan,moan Has no one brought and is HAPPY - 30 posts
Purchase fees,advice needed. - 1 posts
GP Needed ? any suggestions - 1 posts
bankers draft rip off - 21 posts
just to say hi, - 5 posts
I dont know where to start, help! - 36 posts
12th october - 4 posts
All seems to have gone pear shaped - 179 posts
Driving to almeria - 7 posts
Cortijos de la Bahia, Casares by developer El Arco de Marbella SL - 0 posts
New Member - 1 posts
already posted in the short term one by mistake. rental within 30 mins of airport required - 4 posts
long term rental required within 30 minutes of alicante/murcia airport - 8 posts
Completion 'check list' - 2 posts
Steps to get your children into State Schools in Spain - 9 posts
ICE-RINKS - 2 posts
The rental business in Spain needs to be regulated - 9 posts
Private Messages problem - 2 posts
Importing car from outside Europe - 5 posts
hello im new to this forum - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x