Fiscal help... Gestor?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Hi.

We are hoping to move out shortly and wonder if people have any kind of financial experts to help to sort out the various taxes and when they should be paid?

Is it wise to have a gestor? If so.... would anybody know of someone near Dolores?

Many thanks.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
09 Oct 2007 6:22 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Looks like the answer is no then.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
09 Oct 2007 6:30 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
What taxes do you mean? If its the local council tax then you can do that yourself. You only really need a gestor if you are going to be working and doing tax returns

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
09 Oct 2007 7:29 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Sorry I was a bit vague.

We are moving out to Spain and as we aren't retirement age, we will be living on equity from the UK house until some endowments mature and the old age pension kicks in a few years later.

We have a mortgage on the spanish house.

From a taxation point of view... especially as it's done on assets, we are not sure of the best way to deal with things and thought we may need someone to help.

For example...  do we pay off the whole mortgage... part of the mortgage ...  leave money in the Uk... etc..

Ta.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
09 Oct 2007 11:56 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Laury

Contact Glyn Moran on http://www.legalandfiscal.com/index.htm   (He posts in EOS)

You can email Glyn on info@legalandfiscal.com 

Like 0      
10 Oct 2007 8:21 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Thanks for the links More.

I just have to work out what to ask now.

Fees would probably be a good starting point I suppose.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
10 Oct 2007 10:38 AM by gb66 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

There are a number of Spanish taxes to concern you:-

(1) Wealth Tax - which is based on your net (of mortgage and loans) assets in Spain. However Residents get certain exemptions in respect of their main residence

(2) Property Owners income tax

Both the above are very easy to calculate - your Spanish bank may even have the computer programme set up by the Spanish tax authorities to help you with your submission. Alternatively get a copy of David Searls book 'You and the Law in Spain' - published by Santana Books of Fuengirola. However before you can pay these you need receipted copies of your most recent IBI invoice (see below)

(3) IBI  and Basura - the garbage collection - (your rates - payable to the local town hall 'Ayaumiento'). If you are having a problem with this go to the Foreigners Department in the town hall for help.

If you have a Gestor or Abogado do this for you they will charge about 150euros for this service. Remember that both husband and wife must complete individual returns.

I hope this will be of some help to you.

Like 0      
10 Oct 2007 10:51 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Many thanks for the info. GB66.

We have a few books on what's what in Spain and that was why we thought we needed a gestor.

I understand that your assets for wealth tax include your property minus the mortgage? That was why I wan't sure if it was better to pay the lot off or not.

Our endowments don't mature for a few years and we will have to leave some money in the UK bank to keep up the payments. Would we be taxed on that, despite having paid our taxes here?

It seems a bit grey to me. Just like all of the Spanish set up is.

We pay our utilities through our Spanish bank already, so we could check on the tax side of things too. No doubt they would probably charge us more than €150 for the privilege though.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
10 Oct 2007 11:09 AM by gb66 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi - as I understand it Spain has a double taxation treaty with the UK - which means that you do not pay tax twice. The only time you will pay extra tax is if the tax rate (where you are due to pay tax) is more than that you have already paid (I hope that makes sense !!). If you come from the UK - you will undoutably be domiciled in the UK for tax purposes and due to pay  (UK)taxes on all your worldwide income.

Spanish residents get exemptions from Wealth Tax (on their main residence). But you must hold a residents card. If you do not have this they take the total value of the assets - property, money in the bank etc - deduct any mortgage you have - and presupposing everything is jointly owned between husband and wife - the value is divided equally between you. The tax is them charged (for each of you) on this net sum.

I hope this helps

Like 0      
10 Oct 2007 12:46 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Does that mean we need residencia to get the tax relief? I understood we were deemed residents if we lived there anyway.

Also. Does the house not enter into the calculations whether we have a mortgage or not?

Confused now.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
10 Oct 2007 1:07 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Don't worry, Laury. You're in good company.  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

bus train travel - 2 posts
Santa Ana Del Monte Jumilla Golf - 0 posts
IKEA Malaga - 45 posts
Selling off-plan apartment - no guarantees? - 5 posts
shirley1 - 1 posts
Anyone been to Jerez recently - 0 posts
For everyone... - 1 posts
Urgent protest action required...Monarch Flights, Gatwick-Granada - 10 posts
one bed apartment for holiday/short term lets IN PLAYA FLAMENCA - 1 posts
Diving Schools - 1 posts
where to buy a computer - 18 posts
Help With Polaris World - 5 posts
Newsletter drop down Banner - 1 posts
All i read is moan,moan Has no one brought and is HAPPY - 30 posts
Purchase fees,advice needed. - 1 posts
GP Needed ? any suggestions - 1 posts
bankers draft rip off - 21 posts
just to say hi, - 5 posts
I dont know where to start, help! - 36 posts
12th october - 4 posts
All seems to have gone pear shaped - 179 posts
Driving to almeria - 7 posts
Cortijos de la Bahia, Casares by developer El Arco de Marbella SL - 0 posts
New Member - 1 posts
already posted in the short term one by mistake. rental within 30 mins of airport required - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x