Spanish taxes and British taxes

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Apr 2022 12:19 PM by pjck Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

As far as I know there is avoiding double taxation agreement between UK and Spain. I have always heard that a holiday home rental tax should be paid in the country where the property is located.

However recently I have read that holiday rental income from abroad has to be declared in British self-assesment. The problem is I cannot see on self-assesment form where you can declare the tax you have already paid abroad. There is no such thing at all.
So does it mean one will be taxed twice?

Like 0      
03 Apr 2022 11:18 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

There always used to be an area on the self assessment form to add tax paid abroad, as I used to do mine several years ago. I haven't rented out for a while so got taken off the SA requirments, so the form may have changed.

Mark

Like 1      
03 Apr 2022 3:16 PM by pjck Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

Unfortunately they have a tendency to change forms and other items in your Personal Tax section on HMRC website every year now...
I've been doing self-assesment for about 12 years now and recently there are still things that surprise me. 

Like 0      
09 Apr 2022 9:40 AM by Davidd Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Unfortunately you are correct in as much as rental income is taxable in both countries. Following UK leaving EU you can no longer deduct expenses from the revenue figures in Spain. However although you must declare your income to HMRC you are able to deduct tax paid in Spain as well as expenses. You will attract tax on the net figure.

hope that helps.

Like 0      
09 Apr 2022 2:46 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

As far as the UK tax man is concerned, and of course if you bother, he likes you to tell him of any change in curcumstances to your income, then up to him if you should pay tax or not, but if you do tell him they then know your income.

Like 0      
09 Apr 2022 3:51 PM by pjck Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

I know that I am not able to deduct tax paid in Spain as well as expenses. But it wasn't a question.

"You will attract tax on the net figure." So you guess - or you really know (and your knowledge is based on certain legal documents?)  - that what has been already taxed (in Spain) will be taxed again (in UK)?
What about double taxation convention between Spain and UK which is still valid?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Receiving proceeds of a sale - 1 posts
Selling in Spain - 1 posts
Recent airport experiences - 4 posts
International AVAAZ petition - 35 posts
Wanted Estepona Centro Apartment for 6 months from October 2022 - 0 posts
Carlos Marin - 0 posts
Finally back to Spain - 4 posts
Help needed…. - 2 posts
CostaLuz lawyers got my money back! - 1 posts
Non lucrative visa - 34 posts
baldy - 23 posts
Builder required - 5 posts
Buying in Moraira - any advice please? - 9 posts
Returning to UK with Spanish sale proceeds - 0 posts
Weather in Jan & Feb - 5 posts
UPVC Doors - Fuengirola - 0 posts
Best places to eat in Moraira & Javea area in Feb & Mar? - 1 posts
Extortion tactics from builder - 21 posts
Eye on Spain see my email address as invalid - 1 posts
Was it hard for you to get used to live in Spain? - 5 posts
Corvera, Huma, Inversiones Manymar, Socribo, Sol Mijas--CostaLuz Lawyes new won cases - 4 posts
High Water Bills in Javea Spain - 1 posts
The BREXIT has it affected you living in Spain - 0 posts
Tests4You - Bad experience - 11 posts
Driving in Spain UK licence - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x