Driving in Spain UK licence

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Jan 2022 9:33 AM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

"Driving licences issued by the British authorities will be valid for driving in Spain for a period of six months, from the holder's date of entry or from the date of obtaining their legal residence in the country.

The United Kingdom ceased to belong to the European Union effective as of the 31st of December 2020, so all traffic agreements within the EU are no longer applicable to holders of licences issued by the UK:

- As of the 1st of January 2021, licences issued by the British authorities will enable you to drive in Spain until the 28th of February 2022 and will not be valid for driving in our country from that point onwards, the established in article 21 of the general driver’s regulation being of application from said date."

DGT website. Not sure if this means driving in Spain after the date in question will require an international driving licence for UK licence holders. Anyone clear it up ?

Like 0      
12 Jan 2022 10:06 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Johnmcmahon...as you said if you intend being a resident in Spain you need to exchange your UK license for a Spanish one... immediately after being accepted as a resident. .but it doesn't end there as you need to take a Spanish driving test...if you are a holiday home owner like myself all you need is a up to date UK license  .

Like 0      
12 Jan 2022 12:03 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Now extended to 28th February 2022, can pre-BREXIT residents exchange their license, or is it a full driving test?

Like 0      
12 Jan 2022 12:31 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

Is everyone sure this only applies to residents or those seeking residency. I don't see anywhere in the notice that says this only applies to residents. I was thinking it's back to the 1970's and the international driving licence from the post office.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2022 7:19 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Johnmcmahon are you a resident of Spain or a holiday home owner...as I said before residents need to take a Spanish driving test to obtain a Spanish driving license otherwise you can't drive a car in Spain ..if you are none resident holiday home owner you only need a up to date driving license..you don't need a IDP to drive or hire a car in Spain.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2022 9:32 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

thank you for the replies. I'm a non resident home owner and obviously would not be driving any more than 90 out of 180 days. It was the stark line "UK driving licences would not be recognised in Spain" that threw me.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Revolut account - 0 posts
Eurona - how to end your contract? Help - 4 posts
Proposal for Community to supply phone, TV and internet. - 11 posts
House Purchase - 17 posts
Non res tax- ouch!! - 56 posts
HEARING AID - 3 posts
Do you need a PCR test - 5 posts
Water leakage - 10 posts
Rent in Spain - 6 posts
Change Administrator for a Spanish sl company - 0 posts
Why you should sign the spanish property owners visa petition - 2 posts
Car problem - 12 posts
Structural Modification - What is required? - 5 posts
Any major complications for brits in Spain purchasing gold? - 4 posts
In Madrid, need the best dentist for the money, advice needed. - 0 posts
Beware, Scammer on EOS. - 3 posts
Making an insurance claim - 17 posts
leaving spain - 1 posts
travelling between UK, Gib and Spain with Irish passport - 16 posts
Border between Faro and Ayamonte - 1 posts
Capital gains question - 10 posts
New Rules on Plus Valia - 5 posts
Is anyone of you among these? - 0 posts
Very few British property buyers. - 9 posts
OVERSTAYING 90 DAYS DUE TO ILLNESS - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x