Utilities

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Dec 2020 11:16 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

How mad is this , just sold a property contacted the 3 utilities companies with my final readings, and to close my account down , This is the answer from all 3 , they will only close the accounts down when the new owners contract them and say they have bought the property and want to register there name to the property. So let's say they don't register for 3 months, who pays the bill for what they have used in the meantime. ME , and my solicitors says yes that's how it's done . Crazy System 

Like 1      
30 Dec 2020 1:19 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

It should be perfectly possible to fully close your accounts down - referred to as "baja" in Spanish. But, if you have made it clear to the utility companies that new owners are moving in, it's more usual for the new owners to contact them to switch the contracts into their names (you can't do it, because you can't authorise direct debits from someone else's bank account) in order to avoid reconnection charges, and sometimes new meter installations, inspections etc. It really is in the interest of the new owners to do this ASAP to avoid such hassle - and the utility companies probably prefer it this way too as it's less work for them. 

If possible, take final readings with the new owners, and stress that they must contact the relevant companies and make the contract changes ASAP. If you are in any doubt that they will do this, you can give them a deadline - say, one week, after which you can contact the companies and cancel your services. In my experience, for this reason, buyers usually are more than happy to do the necessary within a day or two!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

GREAT NEWS - 0 posts
NEED TO CLOSE SANTANDER ACCOUNT FROM ABROAD - 1 posts
EHIC cards - 21 posts
Feliz navidad - 0 posts
Irish passport - 29 posts
Key holding licence in Spain - 3 posts
Gibraltar/La Linea Border - 1 posts
Residencia, tax returns and not in country 183 days - 6 posts
Organised Mortgage Fraud and Caixabank threatening legal action despite knowing this! - 10 posts
Query re latest Supreme Court ruling on IRPH mortgage clauses and the impact on know of ECJ rulings - 1 posts
Do homemade DVD's work in Spain? - 1 posts
advice needed on builder asking for 50% upfront fee prior to starting work - 13 posts
Alternative to Negative PCR Testing before arriving in Spain by Sea or Air - 0 posts
Registering for healthcare in Spain - 2 posts
Tax redemption form sale of property - 12 posts
Living in Spain after Brexit. What worries you? - 9 posts
End of November Podcast with Maria de Castro - 0 posts
Mojacar Magazine Launch - 0 posts
2 month winter rental in the Canaries? - 2 posts
CostaLuz Lawyers are the best - 19 posts
is flu jab mandatory - 2 posts
Advice for Beginners, retiring in Spain! - 17 posts
NIE following marriage - 8 posts
New Formula to claim in Ocean View Properties developments- Deadline 28th of December - 0 posts
Healthcare in Spain - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x