Apartment shutdown

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Apr 2020 12:48 PM by steve67 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi all

I have an apartment in Orihuela Costa and live in the UK. With the current situation it's looking unlikely that I'll be able to visit until the autumn at the very earliest. 
So I'm considering shutting it down until next year - ie cancel all services - water, electric, TV etc 

This may also give me an opportunity to look for better deals once I'm ready to re-connect 

Can anyone advise as to potential problems doing this e.g  difficulty and cost of re-connection  ?

Also, having the apartment empty with no services, for the best part of a year ?

(I do have a friend in the area who performs periodic checks for me)

Thanks in advance 

Steve. 

Like 0      
27 Apr 2020 2:19 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

With regards to the electric, I have always believed that the standing charge is for having a meter so you would still have to pay as far as I am aware. I know in the past that people who were cut off had to pay around 150 euros to re-connect and knowing Spain you would probably return next year to find they hadn't re-connected you even if you organised it properly. Re the water, surely if it is cut off someone would need to be there when it is turned on to ensure no flooding issues?

Like 1      
27 Apr 2020 2:39 PM by steve67 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thanks Jarvi - good info re the standing charge. 
Yes, I can make sure someone's there when the water is reconnected. 
Many Thanks 

Like 0      
29 Apr 2020 9:59 AM by scollins Star rating in London. 53 posts Send private message

Good morning, 

I suspect that if you terminate all of your utility suppliers you may have to pay charges to connect up new ( or the same) suppliers when you decide to return next year. Those charges can be hefty and  delays at banks  in changing direct debits between suppliers is not unknown. As an alternative you might want to look into reducing the costs of those utilities by reducing where you can the 'potencia' which makes up most of the monthly bill when not occupied. This is particularly relevant to electricity supply and it should be itemised in your bill. My supplier is Iberdrola and it can be done over the phone. 

Like 0      
29 Apr 2020 10:51 AM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

For water re-connection, you generally need a "boletin", which is a certficate from a plumber that your property has been inspected. Cost typically 100 Euros. Personally would not attempt to disconnect.

Juan

Like 1      
29 Apr 2020 12:01 PM by steve67 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thank you everyone for the info.

Very useful and much appreciated

Like 0      
29 Apr 2020 2:19 PM by arroyoarry Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Having had some experience of this whilst having long term caring duties our apartment in Malaga province was empty for many months. Our only utility was electricity and we were happy to pay the relatively small monthly standing charge. Obviously, insurance whilch is valid in a long term unoccupied property is essential. Plus, taxes local and national wait for no man and are payable. One piece of advice I have and had not considered was the ability of water in the various plumbing traps eventually to evaporate in the summer heat leaving the property open to infestation and odours from the drains. To avoid this I left water containers in bathrooms/kitchens and asked friends to visit regularly and top up. Hope this little tip helps. 

Like 1      
29 Apr 2020 2:51 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Exactly right vis a vis insurance, Arroyoarry, with your comment..."Obviously, insurance whilch is valid in a long term unoccupied property is essential".

Steve67, you must tell the insurers that the place is empty.  You should do so in writing and obtain their acknowledgement, best in writing too.  They'll probably restrict cover and impose security requirements.  The risk of damage caused by sqatters won't be covered.

Doesn't sound that attractive sad, but at least you know what to expect.

Like 0      
29 Apr 2020 5:46 PM by steve67 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thank you again everyone. 
From everyone's advice it seems the only thing worth shutting down is the TV/broadband service , which I'll look into. 
All the advice is much appreciated. 
Steve. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Holiday rental refund - 8 posts
Corona virus - 30 posts
Access to a doctor - 4 posts
All won cases by Costaluz Lawyers-- off plan refunds--so far in 2020 - 2 posts
Summer 2020 - 7 posts
Police in Spain are impounding Gibraltar registered cars - 4 posts
Your Spanish Bank May now owe you money - 3 posts
Mortgages Under 50000 euros - 8 posts
Community Fees deferral? - 9 posts
Gib. Airport - 11 posts
post from uk - 2 posts
Ground floor damp - 17 posts
211 Form - 5 posts
Panic Buying - 10 posts
Any legal questions related to Coronavirus situation in Spain? - 84 posts
What must you put in a furnished apartment? - 15 posts
New Landlord - 1 posts
Blue Badge - 5 posts
Escritura. Copia simple - 6 posts
Pension Advice - 11 posts
True immigration control in Spain - 17 posts
Home Insurance - 11 posts
Euroclear - 2 posts
Deposit to estate agent. - 63 posts
Roof repairs - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x