True immigration control in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Mar 2020 1:32 PM by DaniMenzes Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

Whilst EU and Spanish immigration laws have existed for many years, do you think British non residents who are over stayers, will be deported after the transition period, or will it be another Spanish can’t be bothered attitude?

Like 0      
07 Mar 2020 3:31 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Who can say for sure, however, they deport non EU nationals now and unless something unexpected happens in the negotiations, brits will be in the same category as all other non EU nationals.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2020 3:32 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Who can say for sure, however, they deport non EU nationals now and unless something unexpected happens in the negotiations, brits will be in the same category as all other non EU nationals.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2020 6:51 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you are a British  ducker & diver living in Spain .. with a cash in hand job then your time is most certainly up...I have witnessed first hand the police coming in to a bar .. counting the amount of staff ..and demanding to see the contract's of employment...

This message was last edited by windtalker on 07/03/2020.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2020 10:37 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Passports and border controls imposed by the EU within the Schengen zone will ensure any overstay citizens of whatever nationality face sanction of some kind. Usually fines. I expect the 90-day rule to be strictly enforced post Brexit transition in Jan 2021. Ask yourself can US citizens spend as long as they like in Spain without residency? Answer not.

That said the Coronavirus may yet play some part in a UK transition extension.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2020 11:08 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Just get Spanish residency then you can do as you like.

Like 1      
08 Mar 2020 11:28 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have known a couple of Filipinos, caught as over stayers, who were told to leave the country, which they did.  However, I also know several who succeeded in staying out of official view for three years. After that they (and anyone else in the same situation) are able to apply for resident status, only having to prove they were employed during that time, albeit illegally.

No incentive not to give it a try !

Incidentally. 

When a non EU national enters the Schengen Area, albeit that there maybe no barrier/control, they are obliged to go to the immigration desk to get their passport stamped.  If they have residence in another country they can then travel onward and  do not need to get another stamp when they arrive.

When my wife first came to Spain from Philippines, we landed at Frankfurt.  I did not know she was obliged to get the entry stamp. We were traveling to Spain.  At that time it was a Spanish Visa not a Schengen one.   When she started the process for Residencia in Spain they asked where the entry stamp in her passport was .  We should have returned to Frankfurt to get the stamp. Fortunately I was able to persuade the immigration (manned by National Police)  at Malaga airport to stamp her passport.

I suspect Brits may not be able to slip in and out after 1st January 2021, or whenever it is if an extention is granted.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 08/03/2020.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2020 11:32 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Kavanagh...I don't think it's a easy as just applying for Residence and problems are solved..this approach is fine if you have the money to stay in Spain that is required to become a resident...I was referring to the duckers & diver's that tend to work cash in hand and live below the radar .. living from hand to mouth ...I know lots of British people living like this over in Spain ..most of them are around the 40 year old mark .. with no health care in place ..and still abusing the EHIC after many years living in Spain.

Like 1      
08 Mar 2020 12:41 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

The EU needs to protect its external borders from illegal migration which is actually what over-stayers are, even if they have an income and are not a burden on the state. The problem will come when the UK migrant wants to leave and return home to Blighty. The entry stamp will clearly show an offence. Fines should then follow. Happened to me back in the day when I lived in Turkey for a spell.

Some Brits still believe nothing will change in 2021. They are in for a nasty shock.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2020 1:58 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Windy, at the moment it’s not that difficult for a Brit to get residency and I doubt it will change much in the short term. I need to be careful what I post here. Documents can and are easily manufactured to suit (not forged, just internet quotes on health insurance etc) Not much different to the Brit ex-convict who over Madrid on EasyJet becomes qualified in everything.

Micky, you are quite right. In Thailand overstayers are now or were imprisoned at the Bangkok Hilton until the fine is paid, they are held in chains with no food, and one toilet between 14 in an open cell.  I doubt Spain will ever do the same?

What should be the incentives and disincentives to crime and punishment? What is civilized and what is reasonable?

Like 0      
08 Mar 2020 2:17 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Kavanagh...if you are a British OAP I will agree it is not that difficult to gain Spainish Residence as the UK tax payers pay for your healthcare in Spain...but if you are under UK retirement age you will need a regular income of some sort to support yourself I think the minimum is around €6,000 per adult per year ...or a contract of employment ( no chance ) if you don't have a contract of employment you will need to take out private healthcare to cover you for the first year ..after this you can pay into the Spanish system which is a little bit cheaper...I am sure you already know this ...but something I just can't understand is why the UK was not permitted by the EU to inforce this type of legislation to stop the crap from the EU from sponging of the UK DSS and so forth ... unfortunately for the EU the British tax payers had enough and decided to leave the unfairness of the EU...the EU brought about the Brexit ...unless you know different.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 08/03/2020.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2020 3:03 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Windtalker 

Kavanagh...if you are a British OAP I will agree it is not that difficult to gain Spanish Residence as the UK tax payers pay for your healthcare in Spain...but if you are under UK retirement age you will need a regular income of some sort to support yourself I think the minimum is around €6,000 per adult per year ...or a contract of employment ( no chance ) if you don't have a contract of employment you will need to take out private healthcare to cover you for the first year ..after this you can pay into the Spanish system which is a little bit cheaper...I am sure you already know this ...but something I just can't understand is why the UK was not permitted by the EU to enforce this type of legislation to stop the crap from the EU from sponging of the UK DSS and so forth ... unfortunately for the EU the British tax payers had enough and decided to leave the unfairness of the EU

Couple of points.

The amount required for a single EU national, who is not employed,  to obtain residence status was 5,173.60€ p.a.  or assets to that value, a couple of years ago, so a little more now.   A non EU national needs around 27,000.  Both need 100% medical cover with no limits, excesses, co-payments  

The UK medical system is different from Spain.  The cover provided is not, and never has been, controlled or restricted in any way, by the EU.  .

Like 0      
08 Mar 2020 3:57 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Kavanagh - What should be the incentives and disincentives to crime and punishment? What is civilized and what is reasonable?

In a democratic society, laws are and should always be sufficient.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2020 4:38 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

But who decides what is civilised’.  Every Friday there will be beheadings in the market squares in Saudi Arabia where I worked and lived. Who cares?

Like 0      
08 Mar 2020 6:47 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Does anyone have any recommendations for private health care for would-be Spanish residents?

Like 0      
08 Mar 2020 8:35 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

''legislation to stop the crap from the EU from sponging of the UK DSS and so forth''

Not very nice.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2020 11:21 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Kavanagh ...my statement wasn't meant to be nice ...I was quoting a fact the EU and it's unfair policymakers ..are to blame for the Brexit.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2020 11:52 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Post as you wish. Was it or is it EU legislation that has allowed the whole world to sponge of the UK DHSS National Assistance or are we just blaming anyone for our own inadequate controls.  In Spain it’s EHIC and passport for tourist’s then fully billed to the UK, under 65 residents private health insurance, and over 65 SI to get a SIP card costing the UK taxpayer over €4,000 a year.

I would imagine most EU countries operate the same as Spain. The EU does operate a policy of free movement of workers, but not a free movement of diseased people that must be all treated free of charge in the UK. It is the UK’s own choice to allow the world to sponge off the DHSS National Assistance which is funded by the UK taxpayer.

Please stop trying to blame others for our own stupid behaviour.

This message was last edited by Kavanagh on 09/03/2020.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Home Insurance - 11 posts
Euroclear - 2 posts
Deposit to estate agent. - 63 posts
Roof repairs - 12 posts
Moving UK -> Spain. Costs / paperwork - 2 posts
Changing from Apart Hotel Permission to Residential - 3 posts
Gas bottle regulations - 4 posts
Winter rental - 7 posts
Plusvalia tax help by selling agent???? Help please - 10 posts
Car insurance for Spanish registered cars - 6 posts
IRPH outcome - 0 posts
Hi - 1 posts
Location advise please - 23 posts
Rats - 3 posts
Flood Sandbags - 14 posts
applying for residency, - 9 posts
Solar and air source heat pumps/and insulation/ - 5 posts
which vpn - 16 posts
Reoccurring Floods - 13 posts
2020 Situation re UK plated car in Spain and selling RH drive car in Spain - 14 posts
Squatters Rights with Property in Spain - 18 posts
720 and Income Tax - 1 posts
shower refurb - 1 posts
Gas Hob - 2 posts
Brexit: tax on lets - 31 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x