Somewhere not too hot!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jun 2019 2:39 PM by Lulabell Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi all

We recently went to Almeria to look at a property and the place is lovely, the house was lovely but i'm concerned about the 40 degree heat in summer, I don't think I'll cope with that.

Can anyone give me some pointers about where to look?  In an idea world I'd like it to be like 30 top whack and then just not below 5-10 degrees during the day in the winter.  I have thyroid issues among other things so my temperature regulation is totally off.  I'm the opposite of most poor thyroid sufferers too and can't keep the weight on so I do feel both weather extremes quite hard as there's not much of me.  All I know is that the UK is too cold for me and well 40 degrees is too hot - out of the frying pan into the literal fire!

However I crave the spanish way of life and my family and I are really keen to get out there so my ultimate wish list (if we could have everything we wanted) would be somewhere with weather no higher than 30 ish and not freezing in winter, somewhere close to a hospital and a town maybe, somewhere my hubby could get work as a mechanic so maybe a bit expat like to start with.

I know that's a lot of wishes but that's an ideal world scenario, mostly the weather thing really as we want to be comfortable over there.

Thanks x

Like 0      
07 Jun 2019 3:09 PM by perrypower1 Star rating in Derbyshire/Fuerteven.... 647 posts Send private message

perrypower1´s avatar

Temperature wise you should look at the Canary Islands

Like 0      
07 Jun 2019 3:46 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

You'll very, very rarely get 40C temperatures in Almeria. Average temperatures in August (the hottest month) are around 30C but you will get the odd hot days where it will shoot up to pushing 40C but that will be a rarity and is why the siesta period continues. 

Likewise very rarely goes below 11C in January (the coldest month) but can drop to 5 or below in the middle of the night. Usually around 13 to 16C during the day in that month (but an average means some days will be colder and some will be hotter).

Like 0      
07 Jun 2019 4:29 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I would second perrypower's suggestion of the Canaries for the most temperate climate and lack of extremes; but you'll be more limited in choice for properties and probably get less value for money there. But more importantly, I would think  genuine employment opportunities (any type, anywhere) should be more of a priority than the perfect climate. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
08 Jun 2019 8:17 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Cadiz is temperate in the summer months with fresh Atlantic breezes. Recommended.

Like 0      
08 Jun 2019 2:21 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

The Canaries are a good choice it terms of a pleasant all year round temperature, but you do pay a lot extra to live there - 150% or more of mainland prices. 

It's also a far longer and more costly flight from the UK, a bit lacking culture-wise and full of blooming tourists.

I would go for the coastal areas of northern Spain - the Valencia region.  Valencia itself is a fantastic city - it can be chilly in the winter, so you need a well insulated, modern property, but has fewer heatwaves in the summer.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Can they really do this? - 4 posts
good service in Barcelona! - 0 posts
Gardenwaste - 2 posts
First Time Purchase in Spain - 28 posts
Help with Adsense, Please - 1 posts
Yogurts with Live Cultures - 6 posts
Problems with Bankia in 2019 - 12 posts
TV reception Sucina, Murcia - 5 posts
Parking fees Costa del Sol hospital - 0 posts
Sky Remote Control - 8 posts
Who should be next UK PM? - 372 posts
How much notice does a landlord need to give - 13 posts
Costaluz won cases in 2019 - 2 posts
OAPs dependants allowance - 7 posts
how things have changed over the years.. - 2 posts
CASARES del SOL - Court Case Won - 0 posts
Tax refund Mistake - 25 posts
Are your agents giving your property the best? - 6 posts
Hi everyone - 1 posts
Relationship split but joint owned property - 12 posts
Administrator - 3 posts
Car transport to Spain - 6 posts
Legal house on "suelo no urbanizable" - 10 posts
Driving to spain - 31 posts
What buisness would be good idea. (Legally ) - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x