UK Registered Car

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Mar 2019 9:38 PM by mib150 Star rating in Corvera / Yorkshire. 125 posts Send private message

I'm looking to buy a car to use in Spain, I've seen a RHD which is on English plates, the owner has used for a few years in Spain, but returns it to UK to be MOT'd.

It's currently in Spain and I will be looking to get it swapped to Spanish plates after my purchase. What is the best way to do this and what sort of cost can I expect? Cheers

Like 0      
27 Mar 2019 7:24 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

if you google "change to Spanish plates" you will find companies who will give you a free quote with all the processes involved

Like 0      
27 Mar 2019 8:29 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I think you will find ..it will cost around the €1500 ....your friend that is using the car in Spain on UK plates s doing so illegal as you need to register the car on Spanish plates if you intended to keep the car in Spain for more than 3 months ..I take he has also informed his UK insurance company what he is doing with the car.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2019 8:49 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hi Windtalker

If the owner is non resident the car may be legal in Spain. Seems the car goes back and forth from Spain to UK and if MOTd, taxed and insured (provided insurance is valid) I don’t see how it’s illegal.

It may depend on if there is any Spanish law that dictates how long a foreign car and not the owner can be in Spain.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2019 9:05 AM by mib150 Star rating in Corvera / Yorkshire. 125 posts Send private message

It certainly does seem to be a grey area, with plenty of views from 'Tony down t' pub'

Main thing is - I want to know that I'm legal and covered in case of accident etc - would I have to insure in the UK or can you insure a UK plate car with Spanish insurance? And I'm not in for a massive bill, which would offset the cheap purchase price??

Like 0      
27 Mar 2019 9:20 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Mib if you are non resident you may have options, but if you are resident you will need to get the vehicle Spanish registered. Spanish insurance will probably be best. As the vehicle is RHD get plenty of Voltaren for your neck.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2019 10:01 AM by mib150 Star rating in Corvera / Yorkshire. 125 posts Send private message

Currently non-resident

Like 0      
27 Mar 2019 10:13 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

In that case you MAY be able to carry on the same as the current owner, unless someone knows a law (not opinion) that says different.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2019 10:43 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Laws relating to motor vehicles in Spain are slightly different to that of the UK. Usually, the laws apply only when driving not if a vehicle is parked as in the UK or kept on private land. Even if it's parked on a public road. So if a non-resident uses (drives) a UK vehicle on Spanish roads for no more than 3 months in any 12, it's legally compliant provided it has the required documents. 

Like 0      
28 Mar 2019 7:13 PM by mib150 Star rating in Corvera / Yorkshire. 125 posts Send private message

Just had a quote for the trander to Spanish plates - an eye-watering €1450 for a car I was looking to purchase for €500!

Like 0      
28 Mar 2019 8:06 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Mib if you are non resident why do you want all the expense and hassle of owning any car in Spain. You can hire a car for £1 a day from Claire, Head of Customer Happiness at Do You Spain.

Even if you have plans to become full time in Spain you will need to think carefully if you can afford or prepared to pay your way and live a normal life. There is no DHSS benefits in Spain for expats.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2019 8:52 AM by mib150 Star rating in Corvera / Yorkshire. 125 posts Send private message

Main reason is with us being so close to the new airport my wife can nip out as and when she likes and there is a car for her to get around. She'll be able to get a lift and not have to deal with the hire car hard sell extra insurance etc.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2019 9:44 AM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Yes mib I do understand and sympathise. It’s not very pleasant for a woman late at night with kids to be threatened with buy our insurance or walk. Maybe you need to shop around for a cheap Spanish run-around. I found a cheap ex hire car on ebay.  

Like 0      
29 Mar 2019 10:33 AM by mib150 Star rating in Corvera / Yorkshire. 125 posts Send private message

Cheap runaround's seem to be all beaten up from what I've seen so far sad did you look on eBay.es?

Like 0      
29 Mar 2019 9:42 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

It was ebay UK but he Brit dealer in Benidorm. He buy 30 cars a time from hire company. But if you only have €500 maybe you can only afford banger.crying

Like 0      
29 Mar 2019 10:09 PM by mib150 Star rating in Corvera / Yorkshire. 125 posts Send private message

It's just a case of weighing up options, total cost of €2000 for a 2006 Grand Scenic with 65000 miles may be better than (probably) spending more on a Spanish left hooker?

More research required methinks!

Like 0      
29 Mar 2019 10:43 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

OK, I may be a conspiracy theorist and totally way off the mark but is living in Camposol detrimental to grammar and spelling? It's just that, and again I may be way off, but posting style and errors between angeleyes1 and windtalker seem very, very similar. 

The jumping in and telling people they need to think a bit more about moving over to Spain and the mis-spelling of similar words seems to point to the fact that living in Camposol could be affecting those living there.

Not that I'm suggesting, not at all, that people are using more than one log in ID.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2019 10:59 PM by mib150 Star rating in Corvera / Yorkshire. 125 posts Send private message

Mariedav, you may have an agenda, I'm not sure, but it's not really relevant to this thread?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Contingency Decree for Hard Brexit - 4 posts
New Mortgage Act in Spain - 0 posts
New Royal Decree on Housing Rental - 0 posts
Anyone in Illora, Granada - 1 posts
Resin sun loungers - 2 posts
Buying apartment - Fees - 48 posts
Manchester House Buyers - 1 posts
Ammex Administrators - Sabinillas - 3 posts
Northerners - 7 posts
WH Smith Corvera Airport Rip Off Water - 10 posts
Introduction - 1 posts
Tax and Residency - Staying in Spain between 3 months and 6 months a year - 6 posts
mobility scooter - 14 posts
Brexit effect - 102 posts
Exchange Spanish LHD car for UK rhd car - 7 posts
Firefly/Do You Spain extra charge for 75+ drivers - 10 posts
Suitability of Location for Air Con Units - 3 posts
Spain post Brexit for British residents. - 68 posts
Buying a rural property in the Malaga region - 22 posts
Campo delivery of water - 5 posts
Funds seized by La Caixa for alleged tax avoidance...next steps? - 3 posts
Are the days of Freeloaders limited in Spain? - 44 posts
Reassurance needed - 21 posts
Comfort in numbers. - 19 posts
Car Hire & Excess Insurance - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x