Hi

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Oct 2018 5:09 PM by ShyMum Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi

I live and work in the UK and intend to do so for a few more years.

However, I have recently found a property in Almeria and made an offer since returning to the UK, which has been accepted. I have arranged a Lawyer and gather it is wise to arrange Power of Attorney, although I have read that I could give verbal representation. Can anyone clarify what is the best course of action. I have sent the reservation fee to my lawyer, but will I need to sign the reservation contract, can I do this from the UK and send back or will this have to wait until my lawyer has Power of Attorney. The Lawyers speak English, but I am not sure they always understand my questions and would like a separate opinion to the estate agent.

Any assistance/guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you

Like 0      
15 Oct 2018 1:58 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Hi,

Firstly I hope the lawyer are independent and not recommended by the agent.  If not you may wish to appoint someone else, it sounds like you need one who speaks good English, there are plenty.

I would be very wary of giving a POA to anyone, particularly if the solicitor is not completely independent.

But you can arrange a POA through a UK solicitor or Notary Public who is empowered as a Commissioner of Oaths.

If I were you I would download the Law Society Conveyancing Protocol - it gives you a checklist of the items you should be looking to verify - don't rely on your solicitor, particularly if they were not recommended from a totally reliable source. 

Without being intentionally unkind if they don't speak English and cannot advise regarding a POA why did you appoint them?  You may regret not sacking them immediately, but good luck.

Like 0      
15 Oct 2018 2:10 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I would have an independent lawyer of your trust checking every detail from deposit contract. Of course, grant a precise POA to him.

https://blog.costaluzlawyers.es/blog/2017/03/20/deposit-contract-can-ruin-your-purchase/

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 15/10/2018.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
15 Oct 2018 7:17 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

It's vitally important that you get this right - hopefully without sounding too patronising I reckon Maria's firm would a good choice.   They are independent, so their role is to protect your interests and of course they are very well experienced in conveyancing in Spain.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

HOLDAY RENTA;L - 0 posts
buying out our friends share of our holiday home - 10 posts
Renting out holiday let’s on a community and fees - 12 posts
A Combi Boiler To Serve Multiple Heating Purposes | BoilerSpot - 0 posts
Boat moorings Aguilas Garucha area - 0 posts
Buying bigger property - 7 posts
Goldcar and eyeonspain query - 3 posts
Extraordinary fees - 1 posts
Community President - 20 posts
mr - 0 posts
Bob & Vicky - 1 posts
Data Protection - 3 posts
Empty Van Murcia to France ..UK also possible - 1 posts
Thelma - 24 posts
Is it possible to get Salud Responde in English - 0 posts
tax form 210 non resident tax - 1 posts
Los Jardines de palomares - 0 posts
Illegal bank fees when taking out a mortgage - 20 posts
Can you withdraw from your community - 7 posts
FIBRE OPTIC INTERNET - 1 posts
tax on pension - 1 posts
Hello - 3 posts
Non payment of rent and utilities - 1 posts
Mobile Help Please!!!! - 5 posts
Hello - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x