Registering a car owned by a relative - compulsory?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 May 2018 5:36 PM by jakubisko Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi all, I would like to move to Spain next year and want to use a car registered in Slovakia in my brother's name. Do I still have to register it in Spain after 6 months even if I have his authorization to drive it and the car has valid papers and plates from Slovakia? What is the control mechanism Spanish police use - is it cameras or random checks? Would I be fined if I didn't comply?  Thanks

Like 0      
03 May 2018 5:18 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If you live in Spain and thus are registered as resident you are not permitted to drive a non Spanish registered vehicle except in exceptional circumstances maybe like a mechanic test driving it

Like 0      
03 May 2018 6:16 PM by jakubisko Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

You can drive any EU-registered vehicle as long as you are authorized to use it until you have been a registered resident for 6 months. You must register it after those 6 months, at least that is what the law says (my interpretation). My question is whether you can use it for longer than 6 months you are not the owner.

Like 0      
03 May 2018 11:03 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I think your interpretation is incorrect. As John has pointed out, once registered as a resident, you are not permitted to drive a car not registered in Spain - unless the owner (your brother in this case) is with you in the car. See second paragraph here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/taxes/index_en.htm 

This also shows that you should register the car in Spain within 6 months, rather than after 6 months. As for whatever "control mechanism" may be in place to police the law & what may happen if you do not comply - that's one for Tony down the pub - but judging by the number of vehicles he's had confiscated over the years, I wouldn't take his advice too seriously. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
04 May 2018 2:51 AM by jakubisko Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks, this is all very valuable advice. I still assume that if I move to Spain, get my residence in October, I can still drive a Slovak-registered car there until Christmas. Or would it be more kosher to have it registered in my name? It does not cost more than 40 euros. Can you easily get pulled over by police there?

Like 0      
04 May 2018 9:05 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

‘’Can you easily get pulled over by police there?’’. I suppose you could if you had an accident and someone was killed. How kosher would your situation be then?. On a positive note you might have lots of time in prison to study the laws of Spain.

Like 1      
04 May 2018 10:01 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Can you easily get pulled over by police there?’’

And be aware  there are those ‘among us’ too who will grass up their nieghbours for taxi runs, handyman work, key holding, cleaning, not paying due tax, etc 

This message was last edited by johnzx on 04/05/2018.

Like 1      
04 May 2018 10:38 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Why would you assume you can still drive it until Christmas? The advice/info here is very clear.

And €40 to re-register it? Hmmm......think this is a wind up folks. I'm out. Best speak to Tony.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 May 2018 7:40 PM by jakubisko Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi all,

some of the info was useful, some other comments were extremely vague and not cool (Forum Rules anyone?). Of course I have no intention of ending up in jail nor do I know who Tomy down the pub is.

Thank you Roberto for your exhaustive reply.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Changing Spanish Lawyer - 0 posts
Bankia codes - 6 posts
Bankia codes - 0 posts
Campsite - 2 posts
Modify Community Statutes restricting Debtors Rights - 1 posts
Cuidad Quesada - 9 posts
CAM bank mortgage now Sabadell help please. - 14 posts
Greetings from a Newbie - 6 posts
Disabled acess - 3 posts
Deleting binned private messages - 2 posts
Wills - 3 posts
Calais to Calahonda - 2 posts
NIE application - 2 posts
To rent an apartment without a job - 16 posts
illegal Business/Workers - 8 posts
Otagaz and GE Capital mortgages - 0 posts
Camper van on my land! - 17 posts
Car Rental Almeria Airport - 7 posts
Square media Los Alcazares - 3 posts
Bank Owned Poroperties - 5 posts
Looking for pool renovation recommendations Lorca area - 6 posts
La Manga Ferry - 2 posts
How to inform Agencia Tributaria - 16 posts
renting villa long term but renting out for holiday lets - 4 posts
Additional carge on Commundad - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x