EU Geo digital content restrictions abolished.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Mar 2018 8:27 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

The European Parliament, the European Commission and member states have reached an agreement on implementing new rules to enable content portability, allowing EU citizens to view services they subscribe to no matter where they are in the Union.

The new rules come into force from 1st April 2018.

The deal is the first covering the modernisation of EU copyright rules proposed in the EU’s Digital Single Market strategy.

Under the new rules, online content service providers will verify their subscribers’ country of residence by using means such as payment details, the existence of an internet contract or by checking the IP address.

All providers that offer paid online content services such as Sky and netflix will have to follow the new rules. However, providers of free services, including the online services of public TV or radio broadcasters, will have discretion in deciding whether to enable portability or not.

Happy days but there is a catch. When Britain exits the EU this agreement falls down unless the UK signs up for it in the trade talks.

Like 1      
30 Mar 2018 8:52 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Which (current) member states and which language is the most popular and best quality amongst broadcasters?

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
01 Apr 2018 7:18 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Good luck with them getting Sky to increase their footprint again!

Like 0      
01 Apr 2018 11:28 PM by pumpkin Star rating in Essex & San Cayetano. 110 posts Send private message

pumpkin´s avatar

Does this mean that as a Sky subscriber in the UK I can watch Sky and terrestial TV on my smart TV in Spain? 

Like 0      
02 Apr 2018 7:52 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Yes it does.

Like 0      
02 Apr 2018 8:24 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Mark

i believe this relates to online content so satellite foot prints are not involved 

Like 1      
02 Apr 2018 12:00 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

I thought this was an April 1st wind-up, very good if it was...or wasn't it?

Like 0      
02 Apr 2018 1:06 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Just ignore it. A certain person cannot accept that the UK is leaving the EU, and keeps trying to get the debate going again. If it were true all you have to do is download a VPN. I have one which makes anyone else think I am in the Netherlands, whilst I am in the UK.

Like 0      
02 Apr 2018 3:11 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Jarvi, thanks for yours, but in fairness a lot of people put a bit of spin on their posts.

But having googled I see that there is solid substance in the OPs comment and I'm amazed that there's been so little in the media. 

It's not mega news, but quite significant and seems to have been kept very quiet - is it perhaps that Sky et al don't like the change?  (that's my spin - I hate Sky and their devious, grasping culture).

Like 0      
02 Apr 2018 4:03 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2016/11/28/geo-blocking/

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/policies/geoblocking

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5569731/Brit-holidaymakers-Europe-watch-favourite-shows-home-time.html

From today, Brits in mainland Europe will be able to watch their favourite UK shows on pay TV-subscriptions.

The change, which is thanks to the freeing up of regulations, involves broadcasters including Sky, ITV and Amazon.

However, the BBC has chosen not to provide access to its service abroad, sparking criticism from some in the industry. 

The EU has also abolished roaming charges for mobile phones. 

This message was last edited by Mickyfinn on 03/04/2018.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2018 8:56 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/apr/02/from-sofa-to-sunbed-holidaymakers-can-see-british-pay-tv-abroad

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Caixabank economic activity requests - 7 posts
Spanish Architect - 4 posts
Thursday Legionnaire's Procession Malaga - 1 posts
Small 8 property comunidad. - 5 posts
Property purchase without registration for extension - 5 posts
Banking - 7 posts
Selling by instalments - 14 posts
Advice on Buying a property - 19 posts
Dog Friendly Accommodation - 5 posts
Just received an embargo on a house – looking for advice please - 14 posts
EU Succession Regulation 650/2012 - 3 posts
Planning to move to Ibiza to dj - 1 posts
Boat Trips - 4 posts
Moving my business to Ibiza, whats your thoughts? - 4 posts
Importing Car - 0 posts
Weather gripe - 32 posts
Incorrect Direct Debits - 3 posts
Easter Parades Torrevieja - 0 posts
I won my first instance case against banks - 3 posts
9 cases won so far in 2018 by CostaluzLawyers - 13 posts
Decaration of assets abroad- end of term 31st March - 43 posts
Car Insurance - 3 posts
Wills - 3 posts
Great new classical choir in Vera (Almeria) - 0 posts
Public schools - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x