Banking

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Mar 2018 11:49 PM by blackpool1 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Which Spanish bank would be recommended please? I understand I can open an account on line and then register when I arrive but not sure which would be the best for everyday living, deposits, withdrawals etc.

Thankyou

This message was last edited by blackpool1 on 26/03/2018.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2018 11:24 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello blackpool

You can choose any Spanish bank you like, they are the backbone of society. They are heavily regulated by the government politicians and Spanish justice system. Customer care is their number one priority.

Like 1      
27 Mar 2018 3:34 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Personally would choose a branch of a bank that is in your area, not all of them are, then, not only can you can build up a rapport with the staff, but when problems do occur...and they do....travelling miles to sort it seems illogical to me.

PS...take what Kavanagh has written..as tongue in cheek....

Like 2      
27 Mar 2018 4:12 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

HI

Here is a Website which is very informative. Look a the Banks Listed and see if one is suitable for you.

https://www.angloinfo.com/costa-del-sol/directory/costa-del-sol-banks-banking-359

Good Luck

Nigel

Like 0      
27 Mar 2018 5:23 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Resident or non-resident? Some non-resident can charge quite a lot in maintenance if you don't have a regular amount paid in and each bank seems to have a different idea of what that amount is. Some accounts will charge a monthly maintenance fee and a transaction fee as well. For example, pick the wrong account with Sabadell and you'll pay 30 euro a quarter maintenance and 65 cents per transaction (buying things, ATM, direct debit etc). Other banks just a quarterly maintenance fee.

If you are going to be a resident, most banks give free banking (including one debit card) if you have more than 700 euro a month paid in as pension or wages (Bankia is only 200 if you are retired).

Bankinter also seems to charge a lot for non-residents accounts. Other banks have been taken over by bigger banks (Sabadell took over CAM, Bankia took over Bancaja and has now taken over BMN for example).

Some bank managers are very helpful and some are the most miserable lot you would wish to meet. I have an English speaking personal manager who is very helpful when you're there but doesn't seem to know what she's doing later. 

Pick a branch close to you and pop in first to ensure they get to know you. It does help. Also ensure there are ATMs around. Lots have closed and been removed (OK in big towns but outside not so good). For example, there used to be a Bancaja ATM in each of the villages around me. Now it's Bankia there is only one to cover 5 or 6 villages and 2 large towns.

Like 1      
27 Mar 2018 7:22 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The advice here to pick a bank close to where you'll be living is very sensible, for the reasons given. It may seem very old fashioned to you coming from the modern fast-paced world, but Spain is way behind in the online world, and I fear that you're hoping to make this move without actually putting your feet on the ground, so to speak. Fair enough, the internet didn't even exist when this old ape moved to Spain, but some things never change. I can't help wondering if you've even decided on a location, yet? 

By the way, when starting a new thread, try using a meaningful title instead of "hello" or "Lynda" - you may just get a few more replies. No offence meant, just trying to help wink

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Mar 2018 11:54 PM by blackpool1 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.

Roberto, you are quite right about the thread title,stupid mistake.

This message was last edited by blackpool1 on 27/03/2018.

Like 0      
28 Mar 2018 6:41 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

We picked Barclays originally as they were close (and the wife worked for them in the UK, so no charges) and they closed. We opened a account with Sabadell locally (how do you get a non res account without the 30€ fee?), the branch shut!! I think someone is trying to tell us something smiley

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Selling by instalments - 14 posts
Advice on Buying a property - 19 posts
Dog Friendly Accommodation - 5 posts
Just received an embargo on a house – looking for advice please - 14 posts
EU Succession Regulation 650/2012 - 3 posts
Planning to move to Ibiza to dj - 1 posts
Boat Trips - 4 posts
Moving my business to Ibiza, whats your thoughts? - 4 posts
Importing Car - 0 posts
Weather gripe - 32 posts
Incorrect Direct Debits - 3 posts
Easter Parades Torrevieja - 0 posts
I won my first instance case against banks - 3 posts
9 cases won so far in 2018 by CostaluzLawyers - 13 posts
Decaration of assets abroad- end of term 31st March - 43 posts
Car Insurance - 3 posts
Wills - 3 posts
Great new classical choir in Vera (Almeria) - 0 posts
Public schools - 3 posts
SELLING PROPERTY - 8 posts
registration for rentals - 1 posts
good rental agents aguilas area -costa calida - 0 posts
Capital gains tax - 2 posts
La Caixa refusing to pay out on life insurance. - 44 posts
Anything happening at Nueva Ribera? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x