SELLING PROPERTY

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Mar 2018 6:54 PM by MaggieB Star rating in Dunfermline,La Marin.... 56 posts Send private message

MaggieB´s avatar

We sold a property in La Marina in Nov'15 for nearly 50% less than we paid, €3000 was retained and was told it would be in our bank account within 9 months, have contacted agents every 3-6 months to ask what was happening and just get told we will let you know when it will be paid...meanwhile I have had to keep a bank account open in Spain, pay charges for the account, and last year the people who bought my house have sold it on, assuming they have now paid that retention too? how can town halls get away with this? To me that is a lot of money as I lost my husband 6 months ago...and after losing lots €K's on a previous new build in Murcia in Villas del Palmeral, which I never heard back from solicitors if they recovered anything? beggars belief how these things are allowed to happen :(

Like 0      
09 Mar 2018 8:13 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Firstly, the 3% retention you are referring to has nothing to do with the town hall - it should have been paid to the tax office (known as Hacienda) by the buyer, on your behalf. The agent involved may have arranged this for the buyer - but I think it's more likely it was handled by the buyer's lawyer or gestor. The retention would / should have been paid by filing a form 211. To reclaim the money you, or your representative, would have had to file a form 210, showing that no capital gain had been realised by you on the sale. Do you know who filed this on your behalf? Do you have a copy as proof that it was indeed filed - or can you ask for a copy? Does the claim have your bank account details - or your representative's, or the agent's? (You could have nominated a UK bank for payment, by the way).These repayments take a notoriously long time, and if there is any error detected on the claim, it will be delayed (indefinitely) until the error is corrected - but they are supposed to pay within 6 months of a correct claim being filed. It's pretty well impossible to find out from the tax office what the status of any claim is, but I think you need to find out who filed the claim for you - and if the tax office rejected it or requested further information for any reason. And check who the payment was going to.

Hope this helps a bit, and hope you can sort it out and eventually get your money back. Good luck.

P.S. Just realised you posted about this back in November on a thread where others had the same issue, and I and several others responded there, so it may be worth reviewing what was discussed then. 

This message was last edited by Roberto on 09/03/2018.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 4      
09 Mar 2018 9:46 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

I sold a property a couple of years ago in Murcia had the same probably something like 2 years to get the money back in  the end a paid a new solicitor to get it back, I got it within a couple a of months, i paid 300EU I think, the first solicitor had submitted the forms late, and filled the forms I wrong, so the forms where just left to rot at the tax office untill I got the new solicitor involved

Like 1      
10 Mar 2018 1:41 AM by MaggieB Star rating in Dunfermline,La Marin.... 56 posts Send private message

MaggieB´s avatar

Think I'm just getting so despondant on getting anything back, I trusted Barclays to do their job, but obviously now they forget the commission they got for the sale! Pretty sad that companies in Spain throw you under the bus basically (when it comes to selling) and then forget their part and not conclude it! where do you go from there? 

Like 0      
10 Mar 2018 9:24 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

You are correct Roberto this matter has been entirely covered in November https://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-19092.aspx

Some people take advice and act accordingly whereas others ignore advice and just continue with angry outbursts.

Like 2      
10 Mar 2018 10:03 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

"Think I'm just getting so despondant on getting anything back, I trusted Barclays to do their job,"

Don't forget, there is no Barclays in Spain any more. They sold off all their business ot La Caixa 2 or 3 years ago.

Mark

Like 0      
11 Mar 2018 4:46 PM by MaggieB Star rating in Dunfermline,La Marin.... 56 posts Send private message

MaggieB´s avatar

My apologies, but I could not find the original message I wrote back in October, which is why I posted...also it was Watsons, La Marina which were our agents.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2018 8:54 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

So, when you said you "trusted Barclays to do their job", did you mean Watsons? Who was supposed to submit your claim for a refund - Barclays, or Watsons? I'm a bit confused! Maybe they both thought the other would do it - maybe nobody ever did???

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Mar 2018 9:14 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Yes a bit confusing, like the town hall having your money and also needing a Spanish bank account.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

registration for rentals - 1 posts
good rental agents aguilas area -costa calida - 0 posts
Capital gains tax - 2 posts
La Caixa refusing to pay out on life insurance. - 44 posts
Anything happening at Nueva Ribera? - 1 posts
vera playa almeria - 13 posts
Wills - 1 posts
Bank want to trick me into saying I'm investor - 2 posts
EU Referendum - 17 posts
problems with filmon - 1 posts
12 months contract - 5 posts
Long term rental Benidorm - 2 posts
legal Interest rates - 27 posts
HEALTHCARE IN SPAIN - 21 posts
Newbie to here and hopefully to Spain! - 26 posts
Wanted: Long term rental villa Moraira area /Se busca alquiler de villa a largo plazo en el área de Moraira - 0 posts
Landlord refuses to fix hot water - says I can pay for it myself - 7 posts
Hello from a future apprentice in Spain - 1 posts
Saving account - 1 posts
Help! I need a landscape gardener - 0 posts
Landscape gardener required - 1 posts
Pontevedra - 1 posts
Community powers - 10 posts
Autism provision in Spain - 2 posts
The dreaded Selling my Car in Spain - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x