Monarch Cancelled flight today

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Sep 2007 12:00 AM by Lesleywhiteman Star rating in Cippenham & Costa Bl.... 67 posts Send private message

Does anyone know why the flight this evening was cancelled from Murcia to Gatwick

Thanks

Like 0      
24 Sep 2007 6:03 PM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your specific question, but, on the subject of Monarch - they have now introduced charges for hold baggage just like all the rest. Charge is £3.99 if done online or a tenner at the airport. Charges apply if a flight is booked after the 19th sept and travelling after 1st Nov 07. They even apply the charges to vantage gold passengers which is a bit mean!

Like 0      
24 Sep 2007 11:08 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Sorry, neither do I know the reason for that cancellation, but easyJet cancelled the 22.30 flight from Malaga to Liverpool on Saturday night also. The whole situation was handled very poorly by easyJet. They knew by about 01.00 that it was going to be cancelled rather than delayed, but chose not to tell anyone, because they were having difficulty finding hotel beds for 163 angry Scousers. They thought it would be better just to keep everyone thinking they might be leaving soon. If they had been honest earlier, my partner, who had to be in Manchester by noon on Sunday, for a flight to London (long story!) may have been able to transfer to another flight. By the time they admitted they weren't going anywhere until the next flight, which departed Sunday at 10.30, it was too late. She had to retrieve her luggage and come home. The whole purpose of the trip was lost, so her return ticket was useless also. 

EU regulations introduced in 2005 mean that you can get a refund and possibly compensation for cancelled flights. Low cost airlines don't like this, so they make it very difficult for you to get it. Strangely, these companies that encourage you to make and manage your bookings on-line, insist that you call a premium rate phone number to claim your refund! Useful tip: have a look at: http://www.saynoto0870.com/ it could save you money. And here: http://money.guardian.co.uk/travel/story/0,,1416739,00.html you can read about the refund & compensation regulations.

After two calls totalling about 40 minutes today, I secured a refund for both outbound and return flights (less debit card charges), but the €250 compensation mentioned in the regulations was not forthcoming. Although easyJet staff had told passengers the flight was cancelled due to technical reasons, today I was told that it was cancelled due to "unexpected flight safety shortcomings" which conveniently comes under the "extraordinary circumstances" beyond the airline's control, for which they do not have to pay compensation. So, if the pilot is pissed and they can't fly, that would be "an unexpected safety shortcoming", presumably. We were happy to get the cost of the flights back, but I just wonder if anybody has ever managed to get any compensation for a cancelled flight, because this seems to me like such a huge loophole in the airline's favour, that it seems unlikely.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Sep 2007 12:03 AM by Lesleywhiteman Star rating in Cippenham & Costa Bl.... 67 posts Send private message

thanks for the info, I will take a look.

Like 0      
25 Sep 2007 9:29 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

The 5. 40pm  B.A. flight from Malaga to Gatwick  on Sunday was delayed first for 1 hour,  3hrs, then 4 and finally 5 hours!!! Not great when trying to entertain a 9 month old baby!!! Fortunately, my daughter had taken the precaution of taking extra food and milk for my grand-daughter. The only explanation we were given was "technical difficulties"???????? There was no communication after the point of check in. I also think the airport air con was switched off!!! We are so fed up with the delays at Malaga that we are thinking of driving in future. It nullifies the effect of a short  9 day break!

The final straw was that they did not allow people with babies and children on first.  There was  almost  a stampede when the boarding gates opened(There were some very angry mothers!!) Also when we reached the boarding steps, there was no one to take the buggies on board. One poor Spanish lady, who was pregnant had two small children with her. The facilities and service at Malaga are abysmal.

Like 0      
25 Sep 2007 6:56 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Tish, I agree, Malaga airport is a mess. I think I'll start a new thread to see what others experiences are like. My partner also complained about the lack of air con. Doesn't surprise me though, because the Spanish do tend to believe that air con is only for July & August, irrespective of the temperature at any other time! Come October, the heating will be on, even though it'll still be 20 degrees.

Driving is, in my opinion, a far pleasanter way to travel, but obviously distance can be prohibitive. There was an interesting item in the Mail on Sunday this week (http://www.travelmail.co.uk/travel/France%20United%20Kingdom/Paris%20London/Welcome-to-the-new-age-of-rail.html?article_id=29603)  about high speed train travel in Europe becoming more & more popular, as more people are getting so fed up with the misery of modern air travel. If you can get from St.Pancras to Paris in 2 and a half hours in the comfort of a (mostly) on time train, why fly? 12 hours more overnight will get you comfortably to Barcelona. How long before Stelios starts buying up the trains?!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Sep 2007 8:35 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

How long before Stelios starts buying up the trains?!
Don't  let's go there !!!!!!!!!

Like 0      
25 Sep 2007 9:07 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

The bright orange train now standing at platform 3 is the delayed 14:50 EasyTrain to Malaga.  Customers who have not previously purchased tickets on-line at 1p plus 150 quid taxes and charges, may pay the 400 quid one way by joining the queue now snaking outside the station, up the high street, round Woolworths and inside Boots.  Please do not buy anything in Boots as liquids and scissors will not be allowed on the train.

Customers with luggage may pay the 12 quid per bag (plus 3.50 VAT) at the ticket office when it opens.  The ticket office will open 10 minutes after the train has left. 

Customers requiring a seat on the train may purchase a seat ticket at 25 quid extra.  This will get you to Dover when a further charge of 35 euros will be payable.  Please note, due to the quick turn round of this train, seat covers have been removed and will not be replaced until you get to Paris (provided the laundry in Paris has managed to get them dry by then).

This train carries a full complement of refreshments, chicken and tomato sauce microwaved pancetta at 10 quid, crisps and nuts at £2.50 a 25 gram bag and water at £3.50 for 100ml.  Customers will not be allowed to take their own food and drink on board.  We apologise for the restricted view from the windows as they have all been painted orange with the EasyTrain logo and weblink on it.

Customers who have paid the 20 quid up front for priority boarding may now push themselves to the front of the queue.

On behalf of Stelios and EasyTrain, we hope you enjoy your journey.

For those who wish to board, ready , steady WAIT FOR IT............GO.

This message was last edited by bobaol on 9/25/2007.

Like 0      
26 Sep 2007 8:22 AM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar
 - brilliant bobaol!!! So easy to envisage too

Like 0      
26 Sep 2007 6:27 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

That's exactly how it would be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  BRILLIANT!!!!

Like 0      
26 Sep 2007 6:40 PM by Ricardo y Renee Star rating in Bedford/ Daya Nueva. 28 posts Send private message

Ricardo y Renee´s avatar
I agree
What a brilliant post
We had enough of that, always use Monarch, pay a bit more but as long as we have more than 16 flights a year ( which we do) we get the gold card.
VIP lounge both ends, free flights, bigger legroom seats and we know where we are going to sit after they call gold and silver members to front of queue.............not of course at Alicante...............what do you expect !
Ricardo

Like 0      
28 Sep 2007 12:33 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
16 flights a year? Ever thought of getting your own private jet?!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Sep 2007 6:05 PM by Ricardo y Renee Star rating in Bedford/ Daya Nueva. 28 posts Send private message

Ricardo y Renee´s avatar
LOL
That is return flights!!
I love Daya Nueva but still have to work so that's the reason :-)
Ricardo

Like 0      
04 Oct 2007 11:02 AM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar
Roberto...agree totally about Malaga and with all the development it just seems worse than ever...and that is why we alswys try and fly Manchester to Jerez. Small airport with only 2 baggage carousels, no queues and easy parking. A bit firther to drive to duquesa but well worth it...

Regards

John

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Interesting article - 2 posts
Swimming pool regulations in spain to require a lifeguard or not - 2 posts
Help in Time of Need - 6 posts
Badminton - 2 posts
HELP ! ONE DOUBLE BED REQUIRED AND DELIVERED ON SET DAY!! - 10 posts
Holiday rental needed 14th oct - playa flamenca - la florida - 1 posts
Getting your 16-18 year Old Thru. to Becoming a Professional Here in Spain. - 3 posts
Goodfellas Playa Flamenca - 3 posts
INSPECTION TRIP FEEDBACK SOUGHT FOR ARTICLE PLEASE - 8 posts
Advisable to appoint a lawyer when selling ? - 3 posts
SUMA payments - 7 posts
Lo Crispin - 5 posts
What is CDS ? - 2 posts
Restaurants in Totana, Murcia - 2 posts
PRE-FABRICATED POOLS - 0 posts
Great restaurant for a special birthday - 14 posts
Lawyers! - 8 posts
I'VE GIVEN UP SMOKING! - 88 posts
Indian in Almoradi - 0 posts
Santa Ana Jumilia - 4 posts
Land opposite Lidl's at Playa Flamenca - 12 posts
Coordinated Lifestyles / CU InSpain - 16 posts
Registering a car in Spain - 13 posts
Indoor swimming pools - 13 posts
Our tow bar is legal! - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x