out of curiosity...

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 May 2017 3:16 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Do you feel comfortable with lawyers chasing you to hire them for a claim? 

I feel much reluctant to do it despite it is not strictly forbidden by our Ethical Code but.... does not fit in my conception of the legal profession.

Do you see it as invasive or you do not mind receiving those calls?

I put  myself in your shoes and think I would not like being chased for a matter like a legal/judicial claim.

I do not know...

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
29 May 2017 6:04 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

In the UK Maria, solicitors were once not allowed to advertise their services (believe it or not!), and that is not really that long ago.

i am comfortable with receiving information which may help me with a claim or even persuade me to make a claim where I am not able to make a decision myself through lack of knowledge.  

I hate being pestered by telephone calls or e mails about a motor vehicle accident I had (for example) where I was completely unhurt, but for some reason I'm told I have a right to take action and claim money. 

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
29 May 2017 7:00 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

I suspect many would not feel comfortable with lawyers "chasing" or cold calling to hire them for a claim, Maria. Especially those who  previously acted in a non independent capacity, leading to conflict of interests with developers and/or Banks, and who failed to act with all due diligence and who now proport to be experts in this field.

There sadly appears to be a failure to use trusted and regulated accreditation in Spain, such that those legal firms who bring the profession into disrepute or act in an unethical way are adequately regulated and deterred from continuing with such abusive practice(s).

My conception is similar to yours Maria, in that cold calling or using invasive methods of this kind would be perceived as unethical, not to mention alienate and deter in that process.

In this day and age, the psychology of increased "cold call" marketing using these techniques tends to alienate and work against an intent to gain business, hence in the UK the need to sign up to the Telephone Preference service or in the case of unwanted emails to retain an ability to "unsubscribe".

It is sad that the Ethical Code is not more strictly controlled in this regard and I personally would wish that the Bar Associations in Spain would recognise that good regulatory practice with effective deterrents and more transparent complaint procedures has the potential to enhance Spain's real estate industry, and subsequently act as reassurance that legal malpractice and/or invasive methods were being proactively tackled.

But putting all that aside Maria, your reputation as an effective and ethical legal firm who have not only developed the expertise and courageously tackled the Banks during these recent years,(acting as an innovator), plus your intent to educate through this forum, should stand in good stead! laugh

Like 1      
29 May 2017 7:35 PM by Betty1926 Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Ambulance chasing lawyers has now become a way of life and only demonstrates the desperation of the profession. However which is the clients best option, a pay as you go lawyer who can milk you with unrealistic expectations or a ‘’no win no fee’’ lawyer, who wants to do the minimum work for the maximum income.

Like many things in life the regulators turn a blind and are as corrupt as the people they are suppose to regulate.

Like 0      
29 May 2017 7:35 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Thanks for answers. Very educative!

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mr - 2 posts
La Fustera pro's and Con's - 8 posts
Some problems with Long term rental - 5 posts
Long Term Rent San Javier Aera - 10 posts
Invalid email address - 2 posts
When do I become liable for IBI & non residence tax - 16 posts
christmas weather - 3 posts
Say a prayer for Manchester - 15 posts
register my car in spain - 8 posts
Spain driving laws - 12 posts
Moving to Alicante - 43 posts
english or spanish licence - 37 posts
Lost our case against banco popular - 46 posts
ENDESA info in English - 0 posts
Almunecar, Granada Dirty Beaches and Abandonment from City Hall - 6 posts
Removals from surrey to malaga - 4 posts
Installation costs of electricity - 23 posts
A big hello to everyone - 1 posts
Consumers Europe, UK office - 0 posts
Considering a Villa in Javea area - 6 posts
Riding a motorbike in Spain - 2 posts
Help please with Building Licence - 4 posts
canine requirements - 0 posts
Cruises Cartagena - 2 posts
Reconnection to Endesa - 18 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x