Spain driving laws

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 May 2017 6:46 PM by maximogdm Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi,

I will be staying in Spain for a month this summer and I have a 125cc motorbike there. I hold a full UK car license and I might get a CBT. 

With these 2 licenses, will I be able to drive my 125cc motorbike in Spain? 

I'm 18 y.o and I've held my car license for a few months now.

Thank you for your help

Like 0      
21 May 2017 7:20 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I think not.

I think you need to have A1 on your licence and have held a full UK licence for more than 3yrs

Not 100% sure about this

Best check with DVLA and your insurance company

this was also discussed on a recent thread Riding a motrobike in Spain see link

https://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-22947.aspx

Like 0      
21 May 2017 8:01 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

03 Jun 2017 12:47 PM by robertt8696 Star rating in Midlands, UK. 479 posts Send private message

The actual EU regulation regarding this is that you may only drive a class of vehicle in a member state other than your resident country if you hold a FULL licence category for the vehicle being driven. As Maxim says, " I might get a CBT", he obviously does not have a full UK motorcycle licence entitlement so would not legally be able to drive a motorcycle in Spain.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2017 2:53 PM by Uknowwhatimeanharry Star rating in Ask Harry. 22 posts Send private message

Uknowwhatimeanharry´s avatar

Within the thread title but off the OP question.

Can anyone legally park fully or partially on zebra crossings, or do you need a special badge?.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2017 3:04 PM by robertt8696 Star rating in Midlands, UK. 479 posts Send private message

UK or Spain? Not sure about Spain but i would think its much the same as the UK.  Disabled or "special" (whatever that means) badges make no difference. In the UK you may not park on a pedestrian crossing or the road markings before and after the main crossing. This is for safety, as the lead in and out of the crossing is kept clear so the person crossing, and the approaching driver can get a clear view of the area within the crossing area.

"ZIG ZAG ROAD LINES

There are strict laws that prohibit stopping and waiting on white zig zag lines found along pedestrian crossings other than when forced to do so in traffic. The police can issue a fixed penalty notice where if endorsable will incur three penalty points and a fine. Many pedestrian crossings now come equipped with cameras to catch motorists disregarding rules that should be followed at all pedestrian crossings. See zigzag road markings for further information on parking procedures and penalties on yellow or white zigzag road markings."

The above is taken from this webpage, 

http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/pedestrian-crossing.html

Like 0      
06 Jun 2017 3:18 PM by Uknowwhatimeanharry Star rating in Ask Harry. 22 posts Send private message

Sorry Robertt but the thread title is Spain Driving Laws.

I am aware of UK laws because like most members I am from UK but now reside in Spain. Same question ‘’ Can anyone legally park fully or partially on zebra crossings, or do you need a special badge?.’’

Like 0      
06 Jun 2017 3:29 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

UKNOW  Can anyone legally park fully or partially on zebra  pedestrian crossings

The answer is No,  not in any circumstances, with or without any sort of badge (even a police badge).

(Of course though, some do park on crossings and some get away with it)

This message was last edited by johnzx on 06/06/2017.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2017 4:05 PM by Uknowwhatimeanharry Star rating in Ask Harry. 22 posts Send private message

Thank you John as I thought. I understand you work with the Spanish police. I was in Orihuela City yesterday shopping and many zebra crossings had cars parked on them. Is this a blind eye situation that the police only purge now and then when they need revenue? If a pedestrian gets knocked down that’s just their bad luck.

I’ve been knocked down loads of time, but not on a Spanish zebra crossing yet.

Frank.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2017 5:23 PM by robertt8696 Star rating in Midlands, UK. 479 posts Send private message

Harry i would think the reason a lot of people get away with the offence is because the police in Spain would claim the same as the UK police, and thats that"there is too much of it for the police to deal with". And what else is that very police force dealing with? it seems at this moment in time there are also too many thieves/rapists/muggers/terrorists,ETC, but you never seem to see police visibly chasing these offenders either, though there always seems to be policemen riding around in cars seemingly doing nothing.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2017 5:51 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In Spain it is the Police Local officers and Traffic Wardens who deal with parking. not the 'real police'  !

Whist Policía Local officers can arrest for all crime it is the National police in the major towns and cities and the Guardia Civil elsewhere who deal crime (thieves/ rapists / muggers/ terrorists, ETC.).  When I was at the National Police station  this morning, a couple of pickpocket thieves were brought and a witness (Englishman) to an armed robbery, the robbers were in two cars (so maybe still on thread) was interviewed, made a statement and supplied some photos he took of the robbers and their cars.  So maybe they were  working today !

Like 0      
06 Jun 2017 9:21 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

There seems to be some misinformation on this thread.

You can ride up to a 125cc bike in Spain on a class B licence, as long as you've had the licence for more than 3 years.  Straight from the horse's mouth:

"Con el permiso de conducir de clase B en vigor y con una antigüedad superior a 3 años se está autorizado a conducir las motocicletas que autoriza a conducir el permiso A1."

http://www.dgttest.org/permiso-B/

I drove my 125cc scooter in Spain for 7 years on my UK class B licence and never had any problems.  I used to get regulalry stopped by the Guardia Civil at the Gibraltar border and they're just looking for an excuse to bust you.  Never had an issue with my licence.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2017 10:30 PM by robertt8696 Star rating in Midlands, UK. 479 posts Send private message

Sanchez, you never had an issue with your group B licence as it was a full licence entitlement. Already stated is that it is illegal to drive any vehicle of any class on a provisional licence for the class of vehicle being driven/ridden in a country other than the country that issued the licence. So UK licence thats provisional does not give you the right to drive or ride that class of vehicle in a foreign country to the licence issuer. Hope that clears it up for you.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Moving to Alicante - 43 posts
english or spanish licence - 37 posts
Lost our case against banco popular - 46 posts
ENDESA info in English - 0 posts
Almunecar, Granada Dirty Beaches and Abandonment from City Hall - 6 posts
Removals from surrey to malaga - 4 posts
Installation costs of electricity - 23 posts
A big hello to everyone - 1 posts
Consumers Europe, UK office - 0 posts
Considering a Villa in Javea area - 6 posts
Riding a motorbike in Spain - 2 posts
Help please with Building Licence - 4 posts
canine requirements - 0 posts
Cruises Cartagena - 2 posts
Reconnection to Endesa - 18 posts
Residencia - 17 posts
Can anyone recommend a cleaner in Campoverde? - 2 posts
Canine requirements - 12 posts
Free Math App for Kids - 1 posts
Touch up paint - 5 posts
Problem neighbour - 22 posts
I want to move to spain - 33 posts
Does owning a B and B class as being employed and eligible for healthcare - 1 posts
AGM - 3 posts
6 berth uk spec caravan with AIR CONDITIONING - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x