Tax implications of owning two properties, one in UK, the other in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Nov 2016 3:48 PM by alanp26 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi Guys! Aiming to buy a small bolt hole flat in the UK, as well as purchase a property in the Almeria area. In due course I will become tax resident in Spain, and the Spanish property will be my main home.

Having the possibility of owning two properties - are there any tax implications that I should be aware of?

Like 0      
01 Nov 2016 4:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

You will almost certainly be liable for some imputed income tax on your UK property, (even if you don't rent it out) as it will be deemed a second property. I suggest you seek professional advice from a gestor in Spain.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Nov 2016 6:11 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As Roberto says  you will have a tax liability for the property which in not your main home.

Tax residents in Spain are obliged to pay tax on all properties, worldwide,  which are in addition to their main home in Spain.

My wife has a property in Philippines which is used rent free by her family. We are obliged to declare that in our annual income tax returns and pay the imputed tax..  

I also have a lock up garage in Spain. That too must be declared, resulting in additional tax.

A garage space, even a trastero (storeroom) etc.  which is not included in the Escritura for one's main home, incurs imputed tax.

Until you move to Spain you will of course have the imputed tax to pay on any and all properties you own in Spain.  I believe if they are rented out then you pay income tax on the income derived and imputed tax only for any period when the property is not creating an income.

Alan, you said you will be moving to Spain.

Immediately from the time you move to Spain you will become tax resident. The 3 mths / 183 days rules do not apply to those who move here.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 03/11/2016.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Property Sales Warning - 0 posts
Hello - 2 posts
Form 210 in English, and with instrutions - 54 posts
Taking the plunge - Moving to Spain - 13 posts
New members - 13 posts
Spanish official electronic certificate - 1 posts
The dangers of the new smart meters - 8 posts
AGM VOTING PROBLEM - 9 posts
Looking for a long term rental in valencia area - 1 posts
CONSTRUCTION FINANCE IN SPAIN – WHAT DOES THE TERM LOAN TO VALUE MEAN - 2 posts
Spanish radio - 0 posts
gypsy flower sellers - 3 posts
weekly newsletter - 1 posts
bankia - 0 posts
Self move using a hire van - 4 posts
no win no fee lawyers - 3 posts
Landlord responsibilities - 15 posts
Lawyers liability due to lack of guarantee - 7 posts
Velez Malaga Torrox and Nerja helpful info... - 0 posts
any info re costs involved with moving to spain - 14 posts
Solicitor recommendation - 14 posts
HOW CAN I PAY ENDESA - 8 posts
Do you need business or trade finance? - 0 posts
Torrox Costa/Nerja and surrounding areas - 0 posts
Dual Nationality by Origin - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x