where can I buy car tools, battery charger

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Aug 2016 6:14 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

is there a Spanish equivalent of Halfords in Murcia region ? I want to be able to change my battery since my car is unused for weeks, sometimes months at a time.

Thank you

Like 0      
30 Aug 2016 6:34 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Norauto is as close you will get to Halfords

Like 0      
30 Aug 2016 8:34 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

ta team gb....the one in St Javier's quite close

Like 0      
30 Aug 2016 9:39 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I have Solar Panel Battery Charges on all my cars, they work in daylight, a small charge from them is kept trickling away to the battery, not enough to ruin the battery though,  the lead is long enough to go from under the bonnet to inside the car if thats what you would want, or position in any source of daylight. 

The smaller one's came to £9.99 each, the large one's I have £14.99, cheaper then a new battery.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 30/08/2016.

Like 0      
31 Aug 2016 7:33 AM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

thanks baz...where do you buy them ?

Like 0      
31 Aug 2016 9:17 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Don't know if your in Spain or UK, if UK I went into 'MAPLIN' , if you haven't heard of them they are a retail  electrical store that sells all manner of things,  they were on the shelf, worth a shot so bought one, worked a treat went back and bought more, my mate has one of mine on his motor bike and that even works.

The small one's have a blue light on them to let you know they are working/charging, which goes of when it gets dark, large one no blue light, I put a tester on a large one and it works, one of them even works when the panel is turned up side down??

Hope this helps you.

Like 0      
01 Sep 2016 9:21 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

John,    not wishing to tell what you may well know, but one should disconnect the battery if the vehicle is not to be used for a reasonable period. If the battery is in good condition then when you reconnect it should have sufficient power to start your vehicle. Once started,  the battery will recharge quickly when the engine is running. 

I have a friend here who is away for over 6 months at a time and never has any problems.   Incidentially, his car is garaged so a solar powered unit would not be of any use.

PS    Just an after thought.  You may well find that if you have breakdown cover with your vehicle insurance you can call them out to your garage/home.   Mine includes that.  This might apply to all such cover but I can only speak from personal experience.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 01/09/2016.

Like 0      
01 Sep 2016 10:13 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Of course it's a good idea to disconnect the battery if the car is not in use for 'many' months, if you want to really do the job properly you should also jack the car up on all four corners to stop the tyres going out of shape on the bottoms, very impractical as it happens in most cases, plenty of sensible things to do when storing a car.

Be aware if you did disconnect the battery that more and more of the newer cars can do strange things when reconnecting batteries, yes many will say 'Well I do, and nothing ever happened'  try it on some Mercedes and see the results, watch the radio blow on some newer Fords, Watch some strange things happen on some Hondas, see if your central locking works after,  your one press electric windows haven't forgotten the code to work correctly.

Lock the car with the bonnet up while you disconnect the battery and hope you don't send the wrong message's to the ECU and alarm system because the alarm is sending messages to the ECU, and then gets interrupted, make sure you know the radio code if the radio has one, and is factory fitted, some no codes, some have.

My own personal car is garaged at my house in Spain, I use the small solar panel trickle charger all the time, I closed the up and over door, closed the rear door, watched where some light came in around the up and over door, and hung the panel about a foot away from this small light source, it worked and my car starts every time it's needed.

I expect a lot of people know how to help a friend out by jump starting their car when its battery goes down, the next door neighbour of one of my customers knew how, damaged four main electrical items, and cost her just under £800 to get put right...I just wish more people would do this, great for business.

Like 1      
01 Sep 2016 11:55 AM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the advice folks. The car is stored by a parking company who deliver it to the airport and pick it up from there when i leave. Pretty sure it's parked in a field. They cover it with a tarpaulin to avoid sun damage. Pretty sure they won't disconnect the battery although they charge it up to get it going if needs be. The battery lasted a couple of years but last time the charge was enough to get me to my house but was dead next day. That's why I think a spare battery and charger might be the answer

Like 0      
01 Sep 2016 12:13 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

If the car company cover the car just try to make sure the solar panel is being shown some light...If you buy one that is...Don't start the car with the panel connected to the battery, remove at least one lead before starting.

All modern cars are for the want of better words, are alive, when turned of and standing, they drain the battery slowly, when the company jump started your car, was the red battery warning light on while running?  or was their no red light showing at all when running?  you can jump start a car on a flat battery and drive it for a good few miles, but if so low the alternator needs charge to work so it wont charge the battery to any use, then it dies.

To add without 'Boring you to death' if you do get a spare battery don't store it on a cold surface, place it on papers or something thats not cold.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 01/09/2016.

Like 0      
01 Sep 2016 5:10 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

John,   take a look here. Apart from online they have many shops.  I used to use on of their shops and it seemed more like a Halfords than any other shop I have been to:-    https://www.aurgi.com/index.php/component/prueba/

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Green Health Card farce - 7 posts
Transport UK/Ireland to Spain - 0 posts
EPC Company Recommendation Please - 3 posts
Access to Spanish medical records with SIP card - 1 posts
VIsit via flight to Malaga - 1 posts
New to the Torrox/Nerja Area - Advice Please - 4 posts
Dog Friendly Hotels UK to Malaga - 3 posts
Interesting article on exchange rates - 5 posts
Help regarding car crash - 12 posts
Life insurance - 11 posts
Moving to Spain - 4 posts
Does anyone have any idea if there is buses from Alicante airport to la zenia (orihuela costa) - 1 posts
Thermocoupler - 0 posts
Long term rental property la manga club - 10 posts
Directions - 3 posts
New to Spain..Any suggestions? - 18 posts
Patio Pressure Washers - 3 posts
Moving to Spain as a maintenance caretaker - 3 posts
Identify the plot from the Nota Simple information - 3 posts
Hi all - 5 posts
safest way of sending a bankers draft from Spain to the UK - 20 posts
Lapsed planning permission - 1 posts
buying a car - 5 posts
What happens to Negative Equity in divorce? - 0 posts
Rural houses in Andalucia- Business questions - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x