buying a car

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Aug 2016 4:18 PM by hairdo Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi my name is Lynda and my husband and i are buying a  holiday house in Spain. We would like to buy a car to keep there but are unsure wether to buy here in england and drive over there Is it possible to keep an english car in spain or would we be better to buy a car in spain again as english residents would that be ok.We would be very grateful for any advise

in england 

Like 0      
16 Aug 2016 5:04 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

This has been covered many times on here

My advise is to buy a Spanish car when you get here this avoids issues with mot  import taxes in transferring to Spanish plates etc and Spanish cars have the steering wheel on the correct side for Spanish roads 

Good luck 

Like 1      
16 Aug 2016 7:19 PM by hairdo Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question

Like 0      
16 Aug 2016 10:11 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

As Tadd said its good advice to buy Spanish.

To add further to his post if you take a UK registered car to your holiday home, and it's in your name, it has to be fully road legal as if it was still being driven in the UK but on Spanish roads,  bit of a hassle when MOT time comes around as well....Forget any advice you will get that when your UK MOT is due you can book it in the UK , while in Spain, and drive home to have it done.

On here are plenty of horror stories of ex-pats driving UK cars around, get stopped by the cops, have a missing document or two, been noted that the car is always in Spain,  UK plates, etc etc, only to have the car taken away.

I am sure you have noticed that used cars in Spain are a lot more expensive in Spain as like for like then the UK, while new cars do seem to be a better deal then the UK one's.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2016 10:15 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

http://www.autocasion.com/

Like 0      
16 Aug 2016 11:24 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

We got fed up with being done by the Car Hire companies.

So we bought a car in Spain 4 years ago.

Went for an old car but with low milage (kilometerage?). The Garage we bought from had a tie up with an airport storage company so we got half price parking.

When we arrive the car is clean and waiting for us to drive away at the airport. When we leave we just give our keys to the man waiting.

Super.

Parking firm also gets IVA (MOT) & servicing done at reasonable rates.

Car has now paid for itself so I look at it as nearly free car hire.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What happens to Negative Equity in divorce? - 0 posts
Rural houses in Andalucia- Business questions - 0 posts
Habitability license - 2 posts
Realistic time frame to sell property in Murcia to upgrade? - 5 posts
Double cream in spain - 4 posts
Planning move to murcia - 3 posts
finding a reasonable priced static caravan site - 1 posts
Repsol gas bottles - 9 posts
Research on the Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Spanish Lessons - 29 posts
Repairs to properties within a community - 25 posts
Agents fees on a rental - 1 posts
Gardener needed in the Santiago De La Ribera area - 2 posts
Utility bills - 5 posts
UK Bankruptcy effects in Spain - 4 posts
Bus timetables from Formentera del segura to Alicante - 2 posts
wanted animal shelter managers - 0 posts
Corvera claims - 1 posts
Closing bank account - 18 posts
to say hello - 2 posts
HOUSE SITTIG - 0 posts
confused - 10 posts
Jean Here.. - 0 posts
Sip Card Problem - 12 posts
Mobile phone provider in Murcia region - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x