Rental help please - Landlady harassment

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Jul 2016 5:04 PM by Finisterre Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

Dear all

I am asking for advice on Spanish rental law on behalf of someone close to me living in Ibiza. She has been there over ten years and her children were born and are settled there, as is her work. Unfortunately, she has never been able to afford to buy there and prices have been rising steeply in the last few years, so she has very few options in terms of alternative places to live. I would be grateful if people could avoid judgment on her situation; it's not ideal, hence the need to ask for advice.

She is currently subletting a room in a two-bedroom place from her housemate. Unfortunately, since they agreed to live together, the housemate has been bringing other people in - a family of six living in a caravan in the garden, successive single men in the tool shed(!). My friend raised the issue and was met with shouting, requests to leave and the housemate's ex-boyfriend coming round and shouting at her as well.

Now the situation has worsened, so that every time she comes home from work the housemate starts to harass her, telling her to pack her bags right then and leave, talking over her and shouting at her, and refusing to leave her alone. Moving is not an option until the winter at the earliest, when the summer letting prices decrease. My friend works long hours and she and her children are finding this terribly stressful. I have advised her to openly make a video of the harassment for evidence, but I am not clear on Spanish law with regard to harassment and what in England would be called the 'covenant of quiet enjoyment' - that is, the tenant's right to peaceful and unimpeded use of the property.

Assuming the harassment continues and is recorded, can my friend issue a 'denuncia', and if so, on what grounds? What is the law regarding a tenant's right to peacefully use the property? Is the situation affected by the fact that the housemate is also renting and the house is her main residence?

Any advice would be welcome, especially from people with relevant legal knowledge. Please be aware that she is not currently in a position to simply leave, especially as her work is seasonal and involves crazy hours during the summer.

Thanks in advance.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2016 7:38 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Your friend should seriously consider going back to her country of orig ,what i am trying to say is bringing your children up in a hoval is hardly living the dream.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

property management company near torre guill / costa calida area - 0 posts
Insurance company slow to pay up - 29 posts
Removal from Dublin to Balsicas - 0 posts
Long Term Rental in Murcia - 2 posts
Looking for a local Concert Band in the SanJavier/Mar Menor region - 0 posts
Private insurance and pre-existing conditions - 23 posts
Mercers - 2 posts
Eye on Spain - account approval - 1 posts
BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY IN LANZAROTE (CANARY ISLANDS)! - 0 posts
Information requirement before I buy an apartment in the Duquesa Village - 1 posts
Recommended shipping company/route for leftovers - 0 posts
DoYouSpain Premium insurance - 8 posts
terrestrial tv - 2 posts
New Regulations for Rental Properties - installation of air conditioning - 50 posts
The legal position of the Brexit Vote - 12 posts
Help! Spanish-German lawsuit on alimony - 9 posts
car parking at malaga airport - 2 posts
Murcia Property Services - 2 posts
Income tax. - 25 posts
Rental Query - 0 posts
Condado internal door for sale - 0 posts
Completion in Spain - 6 posts
Miles & Kilometres Volvo V40 - 8 posts
Planning permission for a small pool - 4 posts
Pets in rented property - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x