Uk car in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Apr 2016 7:49 PM by dbd Star rating. 63 posts Send private message

we are moving to Spain at either end of June or beginning of July. Will be taking car. As far as I know can only legally keep car in Spain for four weeks. Is this true? Want to drive to Spain but how long can I keep car for without having to register it? Want to make sure it is insured.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2016 7:57 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

My UK insurance lets me drive abroad for 60 days some companies give you 90 days, check your policy, Are you moving to Spain full time from June ?

Like 0      
17 Apr 2016 8:44 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Most UK insurances only insure your car whilst abroad for 3rd Party, check your own, and for a limited number of days.

I have just insured mine fully comp or Green Card they called it for a specific 62 days whilst abroad. Not cheap.

Not sure of the legalities before re registering abroad but I believe you are not supposed to stay longer than 6 months and you will need to ensure either your UK insurance or a local company will insure you while on UK plates

Like 0      
17 Apr 2016 9:09 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Big difference between taking your car to Spain for a visit and moving to Spain permanently.

If you are moving permanently, you are to start the process of transfer within 30 days of arrival. Just like UK, if you are going to be a resident you are permitted to drive from the port of arrival to your home only. Once you are a Spanish resident you cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle. Exactly the same as UK where a UK resident cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle.

The "up to six months" rule is only for visitors, not for residents. 

Like 0      
18 Apr 2016 3:11 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Insurance.

Unless the EU Directive has been changed, all EU companies must provide minimum cover (3rd Party) in all EU countries for the entire period of the policy.

They may not like to admit it though.

However you say you are  moving to Spain, so it is as bob says .

Incidentally,  if an EU citizen moves to Spain, they must immediately register on the EU Citizen’s Register, the 3 months, 183 day rules do not apply in that case.

PS    A way to circumnavigate that is to come to Spain intending to stay for no more than 3 months. If during that time you decide to stay longer, you get a job or move here, it is then that you must register. That way you can drive your UK car as a non resident.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

sparky required - 0 posts
entities - 11 posts
spanish mortgages - 26 posts
IBI Uprating - 8 posts
Transfer of ownership of a motor vechicle not done by Garage(Buyer) - 8 posts
Newbies help - 0 posts
Looking for a second hand 7 seater/jeep - 0 posts
Very Small Dog wanted. - 1 posts
Solicitor - 85 posts
long term rental - 6 posts
IBI number for payment of property tax - 3 posts
new to eye on spain - 19 posts
IHT REFUNDS - 2 posts
Andrew - 9 posts
Spain to Stop Siestas - 54 posts
Budgeting for Living - 5 posts
Panama Papers, tax evaders - 4 posts
private hire drivers in marbella - 5 posts
UK Vehicle and Driving License check on-line, as used by Spanish Police - 9 posts
Mojon Hills, Isla Plana-Looking for tutors for high school English and Math - 0 posts
Spanish legal fees - taken all of our Interest on deposit - 42 posts
flight insurance - 25 posts
Argentinian Butcher - 1 posts
Cleaning - 7 posts
I need good quality legal advice - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x