new to eye on spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Apr 2016 11:45 AM by peterbaz Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi folks , im new to this site so excuse me , im looking to retire to spain next year and would appreciate any help that i can get .   im aged 65 and on medication which in Britain is free .any views or advice would be very helpful ,,, thanks   

Like 0      
07 Apr 2016 1:19 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

If you're in receipt of your state pension (what we used to call Old Age Pension but some of us oldies got a bit miffed at that) then you will get free medication in Spain as well once you have registered as a foreign EU citizen residing in Spain.

It may take a while to get onto the system so make sure you plan in advance. Contact the overseas health team at the International Pensions Centre in Newcastle before moving over so you can get you healthcare transferred by means of the S1 form. Their phone number is 0191 218 7777 and they will send the completed forms to your address in Spain.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2016 1:54 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

My words of wisdom are to accumulate a stash of your medication, skip the odd dose and save it.....renew your prescriptions a few days early each month or whatever....so that you aren't dependent everything falling into place as soon as you arrive. 

bobaol's advice "once you have registered as a foreign EU citizen residing in Spain" is likely to have been overtaken by events by the time you arrive, as Brits probably won't be EU citizens by then. 

Like 0      
07 Apr 2016 3:23 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Bobaol

are you not paying a percentage of your  prescriptions any more, then?

Like 0      
07 Apr 2016 3:36 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

No, camposol, they stopped the co-payment in January this year. Prescriptions for us oldies are free again.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2016 4:26 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Like  many things in Spain I guess prescription charges vary from Region to Regions.   

I am 76 .  lived here (Andalucía)  for almost 30 years and have been registered on the Spanish Medical system all that time.   The DWP are paying around £4,000 p.a. each for me and my wife, she is under retirement age, so that we get the ‘free medical cover.’

I have just picked up my repeat prescriptions.    I was charged the 10%  (as determined by my income).

Like 0      
07 Apr 2016 4:31 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

What you have said might apply to Valencia/Alicante region but here in Murcia region we still have a co-payment which is up to 10% of the medication. Medication is much cheaper here in Spain than the U.K. so to only pay up to 10% is not a lot. As an example a box of Securon in the U.K. cost me around £80 whereas the gross cost here is €10.26 and I only pay €1.03, so no big deal.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2016 4:40 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

camposol was asking me if I paid a contribution and I was replying that, no, I don't.

Yes, I realise each region is different.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2016 5:16 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Steone- some people are on very expensive medication for chronic conditions

my husband was on three medications which were over 50 euros a month, and others at least 20 euros , so it can be a big deal

i was paying over 20 euros a month as a percentage , but I got some refunded via medilink

Like 0      
07 Apr 2016 11:08 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

So even that is different between the regions. In the Valencia region the maximum you paid per month was capped at 8 euro so bills of 20 or 50 euro a month were not possible.

(Depending on your taxed income in Spain. Even earning the higher level it was capped at €18).

Like 0      
08 Apr 2016 8:03 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

In theory prescription charges are capped at €8.00 per month (subject to income). However to get the additional money back from the Regional Government is not easy. One has to keep the till receipts (to show that you have actually bought the medicines) and also the other half of the prescription and every 6 months send them to Murcia.They will then check to see if you have the appropiate income and have paid any taxes that are due and then eventually send you back the 'overs'. I find that life is too short to bother with all this paperwork so just pay my €25 - €30 per month and go and drown my sorrows at the local hostelry which is maybe why I need to pay nearly €30 per month in co-payments on my medication, lol.

Camposol:  I also have 'expensive' medications. Some of my many meds. cost over €200 but I only pay about €9.00 on that one. However I was showing an example of 1 medication and the relevant prices in the U.K. compared to Spain. When you weigh up the difference in buying power of your money here in Spain against the U.K. a cost of €20 per month is trivial, in my opinion. However some on here will beg to differ.

Like 0      
08 Apr 2016 12:03 PM by theline Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

If you're looking to retire in Spain next year, I'd suggest you vote to remain in the EU. Otherwise it will become be a lot more difficult, and you might find yourself having to pay out a lot from your own pocket for medical care.

Like 0      
08 Apr 2016 12:42 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Bobaol- for a very long time  our pharmacy did not apply the cap of 8 or 18 euros , we just paid 10 %

I only got money back through Medilink. Many wouldn't want the hassle.

As it is based on income, if your income is not known to the authority, or you are not registered on the Spanish tax system( and there are plenty who are not)  then the cap will not be applied.I  realise 20 plus euros is not a fortune, but for those who have to budget it has to be taken into consideration, particularly if both are on expensive medication

Like 0      
08 Apr 2016 1:43 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campo.   If one lives in Spain, if they do not work, then if they have any income at all they are required to make an income tax return each year.

If they do work  there can be an exemption if all their income comes from that one source and is below a certain amount. I cannot immediately quote the amounts but they are available on the internet. 

In Andalusia, the computers of Hacienda and the chemists are linked thus one has to pay only what is required in their particular case when they get pick up a prescription drug. In my case 10% uo to 8 euros per month.

I know it is not so easy in some other Regions.

If one is using an EHIC as a visitor I do no know what happens

This message was last edited by johnzx on 08/04/2016.

Like 0      
08 Apr 2016 2:25 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Johnzx-I know that.

I am merely saying that a lot of expats do not register on the Spanish tax system( as they should) and therefore their income is not known and the cap won't be applied. Unfortunately the Hacienda is very lethargic in checking up on these expat non payers who insist they pay tax in UK only, and will not pay in Spain.

I met many of these and many were even indignant at the idea of them paying income tax in Spain.

if the computers of Hacienda and chemists were linked in Murcia as in other regions obviously it would have been better and less hassle.

if anyone is living in Spain permanently but still by sic their EHIC  fraudulently, well, shame on them,and they will pay the full price on medication

Like 0      
08 Apr 2016 9:04 PM by Beenthere Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by Beenthere on 08/04/2016.

Like 0      
08 Apr 2016 9:20 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

@beenthere

Where did anyone mention leaving the EU or staying in because of prescription costs? Are you reading the same thread as us?

Like 1      
09 Apr 2016 6:46 PM by Beenthere Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

"If you're looking to retire in Spain next year, I'd suggest you vote to remain in the EU. Otherwise it will become be a lot more difficult, and you might find yourself having to pay out a lot from your own pocket for medical care."

Ok, prescription charges not referred to specifically above but were in previous posts. - splitting hairs? Ex pats increased medical costs are not a good reason on which to base your decision to stay/leave the EU in my opinion.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2016 9:00 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

Don't expect any UK resident with no overseas interests to vote 'IN' because UK expats may suffer financially if the 'OUT's' win the referendum. I don't read much on this forum from UK expats about border controls and benefits migrants in the UK.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
10 Apr 2016 9:44 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

The "Brixit" thread is over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Please don't derail threads and stick to the topic. 

Like 2      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

IHT REFUNDS - 2 posts
Andrew - 9 posts
Spain to Stop Siestas - 54 posts
Budgeting for Living - 5 posts
Panama Papers, tax evaders - 4 posts
private hire drivers in marbella - 5 posts
UK Vehicle and Driving License check on-line, as used by Spanish Police - 9 posts
Mojon Hills, Isla Plana-Looking for tutors for high school English and Math - 0 posts
Spanish legal fees - taken all of our Interest on deposit - 42 posts
flight insurance - 25 posts
Argentinian Butcher - 1 posts
Cleaning - 7 posts
I need good quality legal advice - 4 posts
Route Stop-over - 0 posts
CREMATION COSTS - 15 posts
Mobile roadside speed detection. - 7 posts
WANTED TO RENT UNFURNISHED VILLA/CORTIJO - 0 posts
Pool builder wanted in Murcia - 2 posts
Free healthcare in Spain? - 7 posts
Pregnant- worried about food hygiene in Seville- advice plz - 9 posts
Leak in apartment - 26 posts
Olvera - 1 posts
Employment Advice - 5 posts
RECORD GO car hire, Alicante Airport - 30 posts
Where to buy electrical goods ..... - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 20

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x