Spain statute of limitation criminal cases

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Dec 2015 1:30 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I did a search to see if I could discover if or what are the time limitations for taking criminal action in Spain. I was specifically trying to find what it would be in the case of a driver failing a blood / alcohol test. I had asked this morning at the National Police but although I asked several officers from cabo (basic officer)  to Ch Inspector, no one knew.

I have just searched on Google for “Spain statute of limitation criminal cases”.  That produced a document which was too long for me to view it all.   I think the part I wanted, DUI,  was beyond the part I could view. However, it would seem that even for the very least serious the limitation maybe 12 months.

Therefore, if you are under threat of being prosecuted in Spain it would seem you might have to wait several years to be sure nothing will happen. 

Of course if it can be proved that a notification was sent to the address the authorities had for you, even if you did not actually receive it, that may mean, as with  demands for payment of IBI, tax, etc., that the process has begun, thus like the payment demands which would normally not be enforceable after 4 clear years,   I believe there would be no time limit.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 25/12/2015.

Like 0      
26 Dec 2015 7:42 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

John, I think you'll find there is a time limit otherwise this would conflict with EU Law. 

In the UK it is 6 months for a DUI and I would expect it to be the same.

Perhaps Maria might clarify please?

Like 0      
27 Dec 2015 8:40 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Acer,  I said,  “It would seem that even for the very least serious the limitation maybe 12 months.”

In UK,   Crown courts do not I believe have any time limitations on when prosecution may be brought,   that is unless the EU has sneaked something in. 

In cases that can be tried only at Magistrates courts, the papers must be laid before the court within 6 months of the crime coming to attention.

But maybe what happens in UK  is something for another forum, or at least another thread.

Like 0      
27 Dec 2015 3:52 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

John, you're probably right, we should keep the UK out of it - there they tend to be slightly more knowledgable about time limitations on prosecutionwink

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Feliz Navidad para EOS members, staff and affiliated companies! - 0 posts
dentures - 0 posts
PET/HOUSE SITTING + - 0 posts
How can you tell.......... - 1 posts
Hello Guys - 0 posts
If you commit a driving offence abroad, whether civil or criminal, will the penalty follow you home? - 0 posts
Book "Hamster" - 0 posts
Gas Change Over From Ex REPSOL BUTANO - 10 posts
Drink Driving in Spain - 6 posts
thinking of buying at Sierra Golf Balsicas ??? - 16 posts
Caught drink driving? - 66 posts
Legal to Drive or not? - 10 posts
Loan offer at 2% Interest rate - 0 posts
dog travelling security - 4 posts
Community with a tourist license - 4 posts
MOVISTAR TREATMENT OF CUSTOMERS - 3 posts
where is best to advertise when looking for a used car - 3 posts
Angela - 7 posts
"False Lawyers" under investigation in Spain - 5 posts
SPANISH TRAFFIC POLICE - 20 posts
CostaLuz Lawyers are the slowest Property Conveyancers in the country - 0 posts
TVaway IPTV - 6 posts
Xmas day lunch? Any recommendations in Malaga Centre or Benalmadena or surrounding area? - 2 posts
Spanish banks not issuing bank guarantees - Fortuna Golf development - 6 posts
Legal protection for communities - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x