Does anyone know?...and opinions please!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Aug 2007 12:00 AM by jenna161205 Star rating in Cardiff, UK - moving.... 38 posts Send private message

Hello all, I posted a thread a week or so back about moving to Spain next year, and I'm planning to gig around restaurants, hotels etc as a jazz singer.

In the UK, singers generally have to have an agent or be registered with an entertainments agency to get gigs - does anyone know if it is the same in Spain (We're moving to Costa Blanca) or if I can market myself and find my own work? I'm hoping I can do it myself so I don't have an agency taking % of what I earn. 

Also, I'm keen to know what people generally like as entertainment when they eat out/go out for a drink.  I wouldn't really class myself as a caberet artist, I mainly sing musical theatre, jazz, easy listening (Eva Cassidy, Sarah Maclachen etc) So let me know if this kind of music would put you off your food in case I need to rethink my songs!! Or if theres any other genres of music I should add.

Thanks in advance Jenna xxx

Like 0      
01 Sep 2007 12:28 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

You can promote yourself. Get registered as autonomo and pay VAT and Income Tax ( IVA and IRPF).

Best wishes!

M

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
01 Sep 2007 8:50 AM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

Hi Jenna

Currently in spain there are many people doing what you are planning. Its rare to go out for a meal without a constant string of singer/musicians coming in and doing one or two songs before holding their hands out. The majority of them are second rate or worse, but occasionaly you get a good one. I prefer to go to a restaurant with a resident singer or just one who there for the evening, who provides background music while you are eating and does not interupt you holding out a collection plate.

Much as I like Jazz myself not everyone does, so being versatile is the name of the game. There are entertainment agencies here also, you need to check the local free english papers when you come out.

I'm sure you will know from past experience that building a reputation is paramount, restaurant owners who see an increase in takings linked to your performances will only be to keen to bring you back for more.

I'm sure you will get lots of "advice" on this site.

Go and "Knock em dead"

Best wishes

John

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.

Like 0      
01 Sep 2007 12:00 PM by jenna161205 Star rating in Cardiff, UK - moving.... 38 posts Send private message

Thanks for the advice!

My plan is to offer background music, I think I'd be far too embarressed to stick a collection plate under peoples noses for cash while they're eating! I just want to blend into the background so people hardly notice I'm there...which is why I thought the jazz/easy listening thing would be best.  I know that competition will be vast in this area of work so I'm hoping that I can deliver exactlly what suits each venue in order to get rebooked over and over and get regular slots at the same place each week.  To be honest, I want to target the more sophisticated establishments - hope I'm not sounding snobby - but I really hope I can avoid the all-inclusive hotels having to sing hits from the 70's or something! 

Any more idea's on what people like to hear are very, very welcome! 

Jenna

Like 0      
01 Sep 2007 12:58 PM by LAM1963 Star rating in Lincolnshire, Fortun.... 152 posts Send private message

LAM1963´s avatar
Hi

I have found being an entertainer in Spain is much the same has England, various clubs and bars cater for different audiences and on the Costa Blanca being such a large area you will find it similiar to working somewhere like Birmingham or London, the only difference is you will play for longer and be paid a lot less than in England, i also find the starting and finishing times considerably change compared to England

Any venue who wants you to busk is best avoided it ruins your long term reputation and lets face it they will advertise you and make money out of you

Good new acts are always in big demand never work cheap, set your rate, give no discounts and you will find plenty of work. If you start working cheap it will stay that way.

if you require information on sound equipment , stage lighting , contracts etc please contact me by private message

Like 0      
09 Oct 2007 4:01 PM by thisisspain Star rating in Torrevieja. 6 posts Send private message

Hi Jenna,

Good Luck - my ex-wife worked the Yorkshire clubs and over here I've put on dozens of gigs. There are literally hundreds of "Musicians" trying to earn a crust - often trying to support themselves entirely by doing a few acts per week. Most are second-rate and would be paid off in the UK but there are also some class acts,

If you are good there is work but you will be your own "agent" (advertise in the Coastrider is a good start) and be prepared for irregular work and lousy money. I'd guess that more than 50% of the English bars over here on the Southern Costa Blanca now put on some type of live music so just by being better than the rest should guarantee you bookings but you'll probably have to work a different bar every night - some even do afternoon spots especially at weekends. You may have to compere the karaoke too in some bars. It's a tough life but, that said, there are worse places in the world to live.   

"The more sophisticated establishments" ..... I'd like to FIND them never mind work them. This is not Marbella or Altea. You'll have football on on one screen or more (hopefully with the volume off!), people playing pool or darts and others eating their "Yorkshire Pud just like granny made it." Welcome to the Vega Baja!

Look forward to hearing you "live"

Steve

Like 0      
09 Oct 2007 5:38 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Love your posting Steve - reminds me of when I first came to Spain and before I got into property!

The TV is ALWAYS on and people talk over you as well! Taught me to speak loudly!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
02 Apr 2008 4:21 PM by AmbientJobs Star rating in Monda. 4 posts Send private message

For your information we offer a job board where you can place "wanted jobs"

Might be worthwhile adding a post - it used to be free but I am not sure now!

We had a band play at our house recently for my husband's birthday - there were 5 of them, we paid them €800 and they played for 5 hours - I think that is good money when you think that labourer day rate is €100 - if you get yourself a good reputation who knows what could happen but you have to be prepared to put in some hard work

Like 0      
02 Apr 2008 9:43 PM by headless Star rating in Gandia. 40 posts Send private message

headless´s avatar

Hi,

Mariadecastos' quote is the real deal. One constant about Spain is that the number of Government inspectors never gets smaller. But when times get tougher, they get busy. Make sure you are legal FIRST, as you'll always run the risk of either an inspection occurring during your shift, or being booked via one of your ads. It does make the costs of starting higher, but hell, it's your business! 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

does anyone know....? And your opinions please! - 3 posts
Hello everyone - 1 posts
QUESTION OF THE DAY??? - 31 posts
HACIENDA MARINA JANUARY 2007 - 1 posts
Are You Investing in UK property? Sponsored Link - 0 posts
Wills, probate, IHT - 13 posts
Hi i'm new to all this - 17 posts
Forum posts order - 18 posts
Speaking Spanish - 4 posts
advice on snagging an apartment - 3 posts
Torrox pueblo - 3 posts
Toll fees - 6 posts
maur/ger : currency exchange?????????????? - 2 posts
19,000 MEMBERS - WELL DONE EOS - 24 posts
Jet 2 Contact email anyone? - 9 posts
Reliable Rental Agencies - Mijas Costa - 0 posts
UNITED GOLF RESORT LE TERECIA, MURCIA - 4 posts
BEST BANKING IN SPAIN - 1 posts
don juan carvajal - fuengirola - 1 posts
THANK U SMILEY!! - 7 posts
Fantastic learning site .. you GOTTA look, can't explain it briefly. - 0 posts
Mosquito repellants suitable for infants - 5 posts
Looking for furniture - 0 posts
Reserving an apartment off plan in Monte Aledo - 0 posts
Music? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x