Non-EU family members do not need visa to enter UK, says European court

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jan 2017 5:45 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Potblack  I don't think I posted about what happened re my wife going to UK without a visa.  

(After posting this I found that I had reported back but repeating it might be useful to others).

In November 2016 we flew to UK.  However, as I had suspected we had yo have a 20 minute 'conversation' with EasyJet staff at the boarding gate.   I produced the relevant legal references and my wife's Philippines Passport and Residencia (note not EU Citizens Registration).  Eventually, after a couple of phones calls,  the lady accepted that my understanding of the legal significance of the EU Directive was right, and we were allowed to board. 

At Gatwick, my wife was welcomed to UK by a very friendly immigration officer, who clearly understood the EU  Directive, so no further explanations were required and her passport was stamped allowing a 6 moment visit. That took a couple of minutes.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 14/01/2017.

Like 0      
05 Jan 2021 5:27 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello John

Now BREXIT has completed what visa if any does your wife need to accompany you on visits to the UK for (Funerals, Weddings, etc)?

Like 0      
05 Jan 2021 6:01 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry Kav I don't know so would only be guessing.

We travelled last in December 2019, and I had to 'argue' with Easyjet before they let my wife board without a visa.

PS.  I just looked at the U.K. gov web page which showed whether a visa is required.  https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
Previously when I did that it said no Visa needed.  

This time I completed the questionnaire and it appears one might be required.

This is the result  https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/philippines/tourism/yes

This message was last edited by johnzx on 06/01/2021.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2021 6:39 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

From January the First 2021 the only people that will get into the UK will be UK passport holders.. any other none UK nationals married to a Brit or not will need a visa for the length of stay ...l know of a young local fellow that married a girl from the Philippines he brought her back to the UK and she was sent back to Philippines on the next flight ...he told me to bring her in he needs to earn £35,000 per year...and the appropriate visa.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 09/01/2021.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2021 7:25 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The income requirement for non EU nationals settling in uk have for a long time been around £30,000 p.a.  Ot had been discussed on Filipino/ UK forums for years.  I am surprised the person you know was not aware of that before he flew his wife to uk.

When we applied for resident status for my Fillipino wife in spain it was pretty easy because spain was a signatory to the EU decree which ensures families must not be divided.  UK never signed up to that.

I don't think i had to prove my income.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 09/01/2021.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2021 10:16 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

It would be interesting to know how Filipino non resident EU wife managed to board flight to UK.

Non visa situation for EU resident wife (non EU national) was forced on UK by EU law re freedom of movement.  Now after BREXIT not allowed, but can still come to UK if you can jump through the hoops. Expect timeframe 3 months plus. Proof of earnings, guaranteed housing, 2 years together with photo proof, background check, health check etc.

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

REFERENDUM ON UK MEMBERSHIP OF THE EU - 8 posts
Speed camera at Lorca - 0 posts
Supplying info about crimes, tax evasion etc. - 9 posts
Importing LHD car - 14 posts
No gas mains - 2 posts
Benalmadena - 11 posts
Possible purchase at Hacienda del Alamo (HDA) - Dilemna - 6 posts
banking problems - 1 posts
Changes to State pension age for women - 24 posts
Hi - Newbie from Wales. - 5 posts
Christmas Day Lunch near Mijas Golf/MIjas Costa - 3 posts
Compatability of bereavement pensions from Uk and Spain - 0 posts
December driving from Santander to Murcia - 2 posts
Solicitors in Murcia/alicante - 14 posts
Call for greater regulation and reform - 0 posts
Do you have a car for sale? - 0 posts
Changing to interest only mortgage - 6 posts
EPC Company Recommendation Please - 2 posts
Estate Agent and Lawyer Recommendation Please - 0 posts
Form 720 Declarations, Action by Hacienda - 8 posts
Viva Airport Transfers - 1 posts
Don't forget to check French and Portuguese airports if you live near them. - 0 posts
New Supreme Court Decission if developer went bust - 0 posts
Car For Sale - 1 posts
You couldnt make it up - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x