Estate agent fees..legal issue

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Oct 2015 6:09 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Roy, understand where you are coming from and because friends ( Ill advisedly IMO ) signed a contract with this clause they are compelled to pay for a " technically sold" property the agents are now remarketing at no extra costs to himself. 

If this scenario had happened in UK, where we know REA's are qualified and regulated the agent wouldn't get a dime for his time because until exchange of contract property is classified as " under offer

Guy, will offer up a précis of events to hopefully thwart your confusion.

Couple of months ago buyer gave REA a deposit of €25k. REA gave €22k to vendor and retained €3k towards his commission of c €15k.   Completion date agreed to be middle of November. 4 days ago buyer pulled out. No reason gives ( as yet).

Although sales contract stated buyer could recover deposit due to refusal of mortgage both lawyer and REA  have told vendor buyer VERBALLY stated they were cash buyers. My question is how would either REA or sellers lawyer know this was true.

REA immediately requests vendor settle the bill of c€12k as per signed contract. This was done today.

So okay, vendor at the moment is c €10k in credit less expenses for organising removals  etc. not to mention the stress involved.

What I fail to understand is HOW anyone would willingly lose €25k so what I am concerned might happen is that having paid the REA , without an explanation of why this  has happened,  the lawyer for buyer will insist it was a financial problem ( mortgage problem) and request return of deposit ( something they cannot due because REA now has the major portion) citing possible court action or to sell them the house less this amount. 

Having spent my life involved with people who have been scammed am hoping this time my gut feeling is wrong.

Like 0      
27 Oct 2015 7:29 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

As a non-lawyer with a layman's interest in contract law, I would say it will depend on whether the suspensive clause ("providing we can get a mortgage") was activated. 

Of course, if it was activated, one can always call their bluff by offering to provide the mortgage yourself. This would naturally be at an eye-watering interest rate and a large deposit, but providing the suspensive clause wasn't more specific "whether we can get a mortgage at interest rate of less than x and with a deposit of less than y" then the buyer has no cause for complaint.. (well, he wouldn't in a lot of places - I don't know about Spain.)

If your vendors don't want to go this brinkmanship route they ought to be able to fall back on the suspensive clause themselves, as if it was activated, then the sale did not take place and the estate agent fell at the final hurdle; he has sadly not earned his commission. But then they have already capitulated, you say.

Presumably the vendors/lawyers could ask for proof the mortgage had been refused.

On the other hand the buyers may just have got got cold feet and walked away. And you may be fretting about nothing. Google "panphobia". A lot of people on this website suffer from it.

Like 2      
28 Oct 2015 7:22 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

You would be surprised i Spain how often people do walk away from sales where they have paid a large deposit because legally to recover this it would be a lengthy and expensive process with no guarantee of success and jist getting the case to court taking 2 years

GuyT is also correct in saying that what does happen, especially with new build contracts is that in order to excercise this clause the buyer has to prove that they have been declined a mortgage by 2 different suppliers, this could be for exanple because somebodys personal circumstances have changed, they might have lost their job

But let's again make it clear that on property purchases in Spain it is normal, and legally correct that when a buyer and vendor, have signed a private purchase contract. that legally the sale must go through or compensation is paid

The process is that normally is that the buyer signs a reservation contract and pay normally €3k - €6k reservation deposit which is then subject to the issue of a private purchase contract and often on a resale property the balance on completion. On a new build staged payments till completion which should ALWAYS be supported by a bank guarnantee

Like 0      
28 Oct 2015 8:20 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

So Roy, who is responsible to pay the REA when you state a normal deposit is between € 3 - 6 kwhen commission due is 7 - 10 % of purchase price ( which is the going rate in this area ).   Or a set fee, as in this case,  of €15k.

Thought selling property in UK was fraught with danger but here , if this contract is  norm legal practise, the only guaranteed winners are the agents.

This message was last edited by floella on 28/10/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Los Canovas, Murcia - 7 posts
HEATING OIL - 8 posts
Which Canary Island in February? - 3 posts
Legal Company and Employees - 7 posts
Taking prescription injector pens into Spain - 0 posts
Taking prescription injector pens into Spain - 4 posts
Moving from Cyprus to Spain-Filipina wife. - 5 posts
Fighting for money back from MRI - 3 posts
Empadronamiento - 18 posts
Hi! I am one of the owners of ImmoVario, a Spanish property portal and I live in Pals - 0 posts
Mallorca move - 3 posts
Great driving op!!! - 0 posts
HOUSE SIT THIS WINTER. - 0 posts
Keyholding/cleaning/client meet & greet recommendations please. La Zenia - 1 posts
restaurants open at xmas in duquesa area - 0 posts
Is this why Camposol is such a great place to live ??? - 0 posts
€500 fine for Costa del Sol mobility scooter driver - 0 posts
Fitness classes for Fit pensioners - 0 posts
Retirees returning to UK - 54 posts
Villa Wanted - 0 posts
Buying Corvera Golf Resort - 2 posts
Efforvesence salts on floor tile grout. - 1 posts
Malaga/near by - 0 posts
Transferring Euros from Spanish Bank Account to Uk - 17 posts
Moving to Spain - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x