Los Canovas, Murcia

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Oct 2015 9:27 AM by Franca5 Star rating in England. 2 posts Send private message

Hello, can anyone tell me what the town of Canovas is like and if it has any basic amenities like a doctors, shops etc.  We have seen a lovely property there but wanted to ask if anyone knew its proximity to other towns in Murcia and the coast.  We've looked on a map but need someone who can give us "real" information.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2015 11:33 AM by MFraser Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Apologies for butting in here, Franca5. Having recently spent time in the Murcia area, we are interested to know if anyone could let us know which towns/villages we should look at as somewhere to spend our winters...six months, maybe longer.  We prefer a mix of Spanish and other nationalities...wanting to make friends with folks that will speak English with us as-well- as being able to improve our Spanish. We were very taken with the Murcia region but found, whilst staying at Condado, everywhere we wanted to visit was quite a drive away. Perhaps Canovas is on that list?

Like 0      
24 Oct 2015 12:05 PM by jagudelo Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Torre de la Horadada would be my area of choice. It is not in Murcia as such, but just on the border between Costa Blanca and Costa Calida, five minutes from San Pedro del Pinatar. Torre is very popular with Northern Eurpeans seeking better winter temperatures and sunshine. There you'll get a good mix, as it is around 50% Spanish.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2015 1:32 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 804 posts Send private message

Suggest MFraser and Fraca5 you take a look at the Lorca, Puerto Lumbreras, San Juan and Aguilas area with a brilliant train service to Murcia City and beyond.

Lots  of English  mingling happily in this large Spanish area especially near the small town of La Estacion which is 30 mins from the coast via an excellently  maintained network of dual-carriageway and other roads .

Apart from a small golf complex in Purias properties are individual with plenty of outside space.

pm me if you would like website of English speaking Spaniard who might ? have or know of rental properties

Like 0      
24 Oct 2015 4:26 PM by MFraser Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Thank you, both, for taking the time to reply with suggestions.  We'll check those areas out...and I'll pm you, floella.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2015 10:05 AM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Los Canovas is more of a village than a town and is about 30 mins from the coast at Puerto de Mazarron. There is a medical centre and a few bars there and I expect there will be a small shop or supermarket . The town of Fuente Alamo is not far away and has all the supermarkets and other facilities you need. There is an english speaking doctor in the medical centre in Fuente Alamo and you can register there if necessary.

There used to be  a few UK expats living in the village and there are other expats living in the campo.

Is seems to be a  nice little place and if you get really desperate for English stuff the famous Camposol is only about 10 minutes away.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2015 10:37 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

One of the big problem's you will come up against is the language barrier in the small villages unlike the costal or the so called costas were just about everybody speaks English in some shape or form ,and it's easy said but not done that you will learn Spanish as you will find it very difficult to lern Spanish as you get older which is why large urbanizations like Camposol are very popular good luck anyway RENT BEFORE YOU BUY AND THINK TWICE AND PART WITH YOUR MONEY ONCE.

Like 1      
26 Oct 2015 1:31 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

We have lived in the campo near La Pinilla for over 10 years and have managed to negotiate the system. Fuente Alamo provides free Spanish classes for foreigners and that is really useful. I also studied Spanish at nightschool before retiring over here.

Living in that type of environment is not for everyone, but neither is living in an urbanisation.  We have lived in both, and are now moving back to an urbanisation near Torrevieja where we started out 20 years ago with a holiday home.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

HEATING OIL - 8 posts
Which Canary Island in February? - 3 posts
Legal Company and Employees - 7 posts
Taking prescription injector pens into Spain - 0 posts
Taking prescription injector pens into Spain - 4 posts
Moving from Cyprus to Spain-Filipina wife. - 5 posts
Fighting for money back from MRI - 3 posts
Empadronamiento - 18 posts
Hi! I am one of the owners of ImmoVario, a Spanish property portal and I live in Pals - 0 posts
Mallorca move - 3 posts
Great driving op!!! - 0 posts
HOUSE SIT THIS WINTER. - 0 posts
Keyholding/cleaning/client meet & greet recommendations please. La Zenia - 1 posts
restaurants open at xmas in duquesa area - 0 posts
Is this why Camposol is such a great place to live ??? - 0 posts
€500 fine for Costa del Sol mobility scooter driver - 0 posts
Fitness classes for Fit pensioners - 0 posts
Retirees returning to UK - 54 posts
Villa Wanted - 0 posts
Buying Corvera Golf Resort - 2 posts
Efforvesence salts on floor tile grout. - 1 posts
Malaga/near by - 0 posts
Transferring Euros from Spanish Bank Account to Uk - 17 posts
Moving to Spain - 1 posts
Upturn in Spanish property sales? - 269 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x