Foreign Asset Declaration Model 720:

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Jun 2016 6:14 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Also, I asked a counsellor, and he told me this declaration only applied to those who had been living in Spain for at least 12 months, which is still not my case.

If that was what you told by a professional then take their advice.

Only those who are tax resident need to make 720 declaration.

On Campo’s comment:-    If one moves to Spain  (makes it their main home)  they are tax resident immediately.

If they spend 3 months permanently in Spain they must register on the EU Citizen’s Register.  Hacienda may say you are then tax resident, so you may need to dispute it if you believe you are not.

However, if neither of the above apply, if you are in Spain for  a total of 183 days in 12 months then you are automatically tax resident.

If you are in doubt contact the tax office where you believe you were tax resident last year, and Hacienda and ask them  to decide where you must pay your tax.

NB You must pay your tax somewhere

This message was last edited by johnzx on 02/06/2016.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2016 6:48 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

However, if neither of the above apply, if you are in Spain for  a total of 183 days in 12 months then you are automatically tax resident.

This is not necessarily true in all cases and is NOT the hard and fast rule as many seem to think. You can have dual residency see hmrc website for details.

It will depend upon many things and test such as centre of interest, dependants, company ownership, employment, property ownership etc etc ect and all covered under the bi lateral tax agreement between UK & Spain.

Confirm with the UK hmrc, inland revenue simply by calling them and if you have one your uk accountant and your spanish tax accountant 

as with most things tax wise (and legal) do not believe everything you read on forums and speak to the professionals

Like 0      
02 Jun 2016 7:22 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Tadd, Claud is a French Citizen and came to Spain from France so no good getting in touch with HMRC.,

Claud said

Well I arrived in Spain just two days before my work started, at the very beginning of July

So on in that case you are on the cusp - you probably spent 183 days in France. The only factual thing we can go on is that you started work so this would be the point that you were definitely a Spanish Tax resident.

Did you get a National Insurance number in Spain ? date? the tax authorities will have this as a reference point. Are you going to be paying tax in France for 2015? these are the type of questions that you need to ask yourself when deciding weather or not to put in a late 720 return. You are two months late now, I cant see you getting off without a fine if you put in a late return.

You are so on the cusp and that coupled with the fact you are two months late I would probably suggest you leave it this year - but that may be a bad idea - your choice Claud

Like 0      
02 Jun 2016 7:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Being aware that all things are always straightforward,  was whey I said, "If you are in doubt contact the tax office where you believe you were tax resident last year, and Hacienda and ask them  to decide where you must pay your tax."

Like 0      
02 Jun 2016 9:00 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Team

Oops I missed that

Still I would think dual residency may still apply depending on what any agreements exist between spain and France 

My main point is that the 183 rule is not hard and fast as many think or quote and may not apply to all

Like 0      
02 Jun 2016 9:56 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Tadd

Yes of course

Johnzx

Claud will assess the usefulness of the replies received - If you need to replace a clutch on a Ford Cortina you don't necessarily have to contact Ford for instructions - in fact they probably wouldn't answer

Like 0      
03 Jun 2016 5:00 PM by Claudius Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks for your contributions. In fact, the counsellor said I should wait next year to declare, between January and March. FYI, I will be paying taxes in France for the first half of the year, following thoroughly the French procedure. Then for the rest, of course I have paid taxes in Spain for my income here (end of the year). Apparently French procedures would not allow me to declare my French income before I left in Spain, and pay taxes for them in Spain. So it's all a bit tricky.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2017 2:53 PM by harrybo Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi,

Anybody on here had to fill out a modulo 720 form with UK bank details ?  

Do we have to put the Tax Identification Number for the bank?  (Seems uk doesn't do TIN's and we can use 10 digit Unique Tax Number) and Santander cust support isn't being very helpful.

Thanks

Like 0      
17 Feb 2017 5:03 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I filed a 720 in 2013. As far as I remember, the TIN is the bank's VAT number, which any UK bank should be able to provide. I also have accounts in Gibraltar banks, which do not have VAT numbers, so my gestor simply left the field blank in this case. It was never questioned, so presumably that was OK. Probably nobody ever even looked at the forms anyway!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
19 Feb 2017 2:18 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Roberto

Sent you a pm

Like 2      
19 Feb 2017 3:09 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

laughlaugh

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 2      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Help!! Employer has not paid me or my tax, or his!! - 4 posts
Spanish Lawyer - 6 posts
Holmes car registration service Marbella - 2 posts
Andrew - 5 posts
Buying white goods in Malaga. - 5 posts
Selling property of deceased person - 4 posts
Deposits on car rental - 4 posts
Cleaning Service in Salou - 0 posts
Making a crime report in Spain to National Police - 10 posts
Cheap car rental option St Javier area - 4 posts
Ban cyclists ! - 32 posts
washing cars on the street - 1 posts
So we have decided to take the plunge - 10 posts
No win no fee - 1 posts
san juan de los terreros - 2 posts
COCKROACHES IN VALENCIA - 7 posts
Serena Golf apartments - 3 posts
Inter Rent Car Hire Murcia., Stay Away Warning - 13 posts
Buying a Car - 2 posts
No Community Statutes !!?? - 6 posts
Police station Cartagena - 5 posts
confused - 6 posts
Driving from uk to alicante - 2 posts
Run UK business while living in Spain - 2 posts
Advice wanted Inflatable Hot Tub Costa del Sol Nerja/Malaga region - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 51

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x