Buying a Car

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Jun 2015 10:28 by buzamm Star rating. 5 posts Send private message


im moving to playa flamenca in augustcan some-one tell me the best and honest place to buy car (without being ripped off) and also is my english driving licence ok to drive with or do i have to change it to spainsh?

Like 0      
11 Jun 2015 14:05 by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1755 posts Send private message

A diffcult question as there are many car sales in the area. They all have varying reviews I would trust your instinct and shop around. Depending upon your budget and what age of car you are looking for. In my experience cars of 1 to 3 yrs old are pricey and it mght be better to buy new and you wil get better warranty etc.

On your driving licence if you are moving to Spain permanently it would be advisable to change to a Spanish licence, it is a very simple process.

Will you still have an address in UK? If not you could fall foul if the address on your UK licence is not a valid address for you (check DVLA website for details).


Good luck

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge”

Like 0      
11 Jun 2015 14:49 by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5247 posts Send private message

RE the DL part of your post

When you drive in Spain you must have your valid DL in your possession when driving. 

If you have a UK D/L and loose it then you cannot drive until you get a replacement.

If you are not resident, living in UK,  you cannot renew a UK DL in UK.  An address in UK is not sufficient as the form asks for the address where you habitually live,   previously it was just a UK address.  Any false statement regarding where you habitually reside would amount to a criminal offence.



Although, I believe if you move to Spain you are not required to notify the change of address with DVLC and of course you cannot use a non UK address for that, I understand that as far as DVLC are concerned, you can still use that DL, albeit that DVLC cannot change the address on the licence.

To exchange your UK DL for a Spanish one the regulations say you must have a valid UK DL to exchange.  If you have lost it and then because of non-residence in UK cannot renew it,  I am not sure how you can overcome that problem.    Worst case would be having to take a the Driving test in Spain !


As Tadd said, all in all, if you live in Spain it makes sense to change your UK D/L to a Spanish one.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

No Community Statutes !!?? - 6 posts
Police station Cartagena - 5 posts
Mijas Costa Boardwalk - 8 posts
confused - 6 posts
Driving from uk to alicante - 2 posts
Run UK business while living in Spain - 2 posts
Advice wanted Inflatable Hot Tub Costa del Sol Nerja/Malaga region - 6 posts
taboos in presenting wedding gifts - 1 posts
Using a gestor for sale of car in Spain - 4 posts
importing english car without recidencia! - 20 posts
Buying a 15 year old property with no escritura - 12 posts
Buying a 15 year old property with no escritura - 5 posts
chould someone tell me why spanish Minimum age for marriage is 16 years old? - 9 posts
Garrucha files for banruptcy - 0 posts
Residents getting quotes for works in the community. - 2 posts
Failure by bank to pay gas bill direct debit - 1 posts
Toni Muldoon - 0 posts
Contiflo - 1 posts
Loan for a new property - 21 posts
Double bed with storage underneath - 0 posts
long term rental advice - 0 posts
The Greek crisis - 114 posts
delivery problems - 1 posts
English Channels in Spain - 7 posts
minimum savings to stay in Spain - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x