Selling property of deceased person

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Jun 2015 11:16 AM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

Long story, but just a question. If a property is jointly owned by a married couple, and the husband dies, can the widow sell the property before the will is executed? They were already planning to sell the property before he died and possibly the pre-contract was already set up (I don't know). I would have thought his death would have delayed the process but it didn't. I'm confused.

The couple have several adult children. Surely they should be co-owners following the death of their father, but they did not sign the nota simple. Why was this not necessary? 

Like 0      
16 Jun 2015 11:40 AM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Inheritance tax must be paid before the house can be sold.

if the husband dies, the wife has to accept the inheritance and pay the tax, then she will have to have the house put in her name before selling it.

if they were in the process of selling it, but had not completed, then the selling process is  surely aborted?

This message was last edited by camposol on 16/06/2015.

Like 0      
16 Jun 2015 11:45 AM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

Sorry, I forgot one important peice of information.

They are not selling the outright ownership but selling the usofructo.

The buyer of the usofructo is the person already owning the property.

I don't know if this makes a difference.

Like 0      
16 Jun 2015 12:13 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Maria de Castro will know .....

Like 0      
22 Jun 2015 12:59 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Amogles:

Answers to your post below in bold green:

Long story, but just a question. If a property is jointly owned by a married couple, and the husband dies, can the widow sell the property before the will is executed? She can sell it by private contract but cannot make the deal a public one with full effects before third parties at the Land Registry. They were already planning to sell the property before he died and possibly the pre-contract was already set up (I don't know). I would have thought his death would have delayed the process but it didn't. I'm confused.

The couple have several adult children. Surely they should be co-owners following the death of their father, but they did not sign the nota simple. Why was this not necessary?

Nota simple is a Land Registry information note. I thiknk you meant escritura ( Notary deeds). In answer to your question: if Spanish Law applies to this deceased person, these children are forced heirs and they can claim their inheritance portion.

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/6791/legal-tip-723-free-guide-on-inheritance-law-and-wills-for-dummies.aspx

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Deposits on car rental - 4 posts
Cleaning Service in Salou - 0 posts
Making a crime report in Spain to National Police - 10 posts
Cheap car rental option St Javier area - 4 posts
Ban cyclists ! - 32 posts
washing cars on the street - 1 posts
So we have decided to take the plunge - 10 posts
No win no fee - 1 posts
san juan de los terreros - 2 posts
COCKROACHES IN VALENCIA - 7 posts
Serena Golf apartments - 3 posts
Inter Rent Car Hire Murcia., Stay Away Warning - 13 posts
Buying a Car - 2 posts
No Community Statutes !!?? - 6 posts
Police station Cartagena - 5 posts
Mijas Costa Boardwalk - 8 posts
confused - 6 posts
Driving from uk to alicante - 2 posts
Run UK business while living in Spain - 2 posts
Advice wanted Inflatable Hot Tub Costa del Sol Nerja/Malaga region - 6 posts
taboos in presenting wedding gifts - 1 posts
Using a gestor for sale of car in Spain - 4 posts
importing english car without recidencia! - 20 posts
Buying a 15 year old property with no escritura - 12 posts
Buying a 15 year old property with no escritura - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x