English Channels in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jun 2015 5:05 PM by clg1972 Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Hi,

When in Spain I watch the english channels (via Filmon) via my laptop/HDMI cable into the tv. However, due to the wifi speed (the asdl links are not strong enough)...we're near CampoMijas, Fuengirola it can be a bit hit and miss. Would an IPTV (set top type android box) enhance the view experience?

Thanks

Like 0      
05 Jun 2015 5:35 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Try a ethert cable from the laptop to the router instead of using WiFi .if that does not work for get a new laptop with a quad core processor or if you don't want to go to that expense get a xgody cs918+ 16gig hard drive quad core Android TV box from eBay it is plug and play it will cost you approx £40.00 .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 05/06/2015.

Like 1      
11 Jun 2015 1:04 AM by On a mission ! Star rating in Caleta de Fuste,Fuer.... 52 posts Send private message

On a mission !´s avatar

I'm in Fuerteventura, so not sure if what works for me will work for you !

Having lost virtually all Sky Channels here, I started using my wifi router and an old lap-top left permanently connected by hdmi cable to the hdmi socket in the back of my tv, this worked extremely well for Film on tv.

I've just made the leap from using old laptop and hdmi cable to using an Android box with an ethernet cable which works extremely well and has the choices of Film on, Kodi, Modbro, Showbox, Youtube and lots of others all of which work really well, much to my surprise lol lol !!

This message was last edited by On a mission ! on 11/06/2015.

Like 1      
11 Jun 2015 4:33 PM by clg1972 Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Thanks OAM!.

Yes, am using the hdmi between laptop and tv now. Would you say the Android box is a better option? I'm guessing this will negate the need to lug a laptop out with me everytime as well?

Are you connecting through an asdl or wifi?

Thanks,

Like 0      
11 Jun 2015 4:33 PM by clg1972 Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Thanks OAM!.

Yes, am using the hdmi between laptop and tv now. Would you say the Android box is a better option? I'm guessing this will negate the need to lug a laptop out with me everytime as well?

Are you connecting through an asdl or wifi?

Thanks,

Like 0      
11 Jun 2015 10:13 PM by On a mission ! Star rating in Caleta de Fuste,Fuer.... 52 posts Send private message

On a mission !´s avatar

I definitely would say the Android box is a far better option yes

Firstly, as you rightly say, it makes the laptop part of the operation redundant.

Secondly, there is a much wider choice in what's available to view

Thirdly, you buy your box and that's it, no monthly fees !!

My internet supply is wifi

Good luck with your change-over, I'm sure you won't regret it !! laugh

Like 0      
13 Jun 2015 8:09 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

Upgrading to an android box may not be the solution if your internet speeds are slow.

If the speeds are slow, then no matter what you use, you will incur buffering and poor image quality.

If filmon on the laptop is hit and miss due to internet sppeds, then it will problably be the same using an andoird box, as most android boxes use......filmon for their feeds!

"Secondly, there is a much wider choice in what's available to view" - well xbmc / kodi is also available for PCs and laptops, and as tihs is what android boxes use, the choice of  streams available is exactly the same.

SO perhaps rather than buy a box, load kodi / xbmc onto the laptop and see what it is like before opting for an andoird box.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
13 Jun 2015 1:34 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I bought a Chromebook for this purpose, it is smaller than a full size laptop and similar to what netbooks used to be like. I bought one from Tesco outlet on eBay for just over £100. It has the benefit of also being able to use the internet (and the EOS forum) while away, not just TV.

As has been said though, is it your own internet or community wifi? You may find, if community wifi, the download speeds are limited to prevent over use. If it is your own internet though, as has been said, a ethernet cable from the router to the Chromebook (or whatever you use) will give much more reliable speeds than wifi, which can vary due to environmental conditions.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

minimum savings to stay in Spain - 9 posts
Endesa - subsequent bills? - 4 posts
Property Tax - 2 posts
Are you moving to Spain? - 0 posts
UK TV Progrmmes - 8 posts
Olvera properties or alficasa? - 1 posts
Debt question relating to the management company - 5 posts
Surplus Books - 1 posts
AGM or lack of it. - 5 posts
Exact Change Kiosk at Malaga Airport: Avoid - 5 posts
Notice required for an EGM - 1 posts
Help - 2 posts
Clean up Fifa - 26 posts
end october- mid december rental sought - 2 posts
Pet insurance - 2 posts
Foriegn Holiday Complaints - Many From Spain - 0 posts
Norton's Phone & Broadband (aka Eurona & Broadband CB) - 1 posts
Anybody heading back to UK in a Van around June 13th - 0 posts
Hits Mobile new service for Expats or yearly Temporary Residents in Spain - 1 posts
Moving to Camposol - 31 posts
La Serena Golf Resort Murcia - 18 posts
Help - 2 posts
Diabetes prescriptions - 3 posts
Goodbye Android TV - Hello PC TV! - 20 posts
Mortgages Spain - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x