Dame noches in pots part shade

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 May 2015 8:39 AM by Birdofparadise Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

i have bought a new dame noches plant to replace one last year that died.

it was kept on my balcony in a pot regularly watered but the temperature can be in the high 40c and no shade for most of the day....  I think That was my problem.

so my new baby is. In the shade for most of the day  and the temperature did get to 30c yesterday, by the afternoon she did not look well in fact she had lost some leaves and a tiny bit droopy. i thought i had murdered another one.  However this morning shes looking pretty good and healthy.

so my question are:-

do i keep it out of the sun entirely?

whats the highest temperature it can reasonably take?

can i keep it in a pot and if so does it like a lit of room or to be kept nice and snug in the potting compost?

or give up and buy something different.

Like 0      
03 May 2015 9:00 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

It appears there may be a toxicity problem with Cestrum nocturnum  (Dama del Noche).   

I would suggest one might investigate that potential before exposing a baby to it.

Like 0      
03 May 2015 4:51 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

We've had no luck with galan de noche here in Extremadura and are trying for the third time at this moment. You put the bad luck down to the sun - we've put it down to the cold. lol. We think we've been planting them too late in the yearso they don't get established before winter.

John, Iwas just reading about the toxicity, especially,the problems of being exposed to the scent. I can't think of a nicer way to die, overcome by galan/dama scent. Of course, if you want to talk toxicity/ecology, oleander is in a class of its own - and found everywhere in Spain. After fighting with my wife I have sometimes been sorely tempted to make her a cup of "herbal tea".  Our finca has umpteen oleanders the size of trees. 

Like 0      
03 May 2015 5:37 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Our dama de noche has been flowering for about a month. It seems to thrive in the heat and the flowers poke skyward when the sun is blazing. It's in a pot at the moment but seems to be doing quite well. When we moved it into partial shade, it didn't seem to like it so it's back in the sun again. Some of the leaves at the bottom lose their colour and go a bit yellowish but a quick trim and it's back up again.

We save the teabags and coffee grounds and then feed the plants with lees once every couple of months. The tomato plant particularly likes this and started coming out with flowers and small fruits very early which died off. It is now a huge, green plant so hopefully will start producing at the correct time. The cherry tomato plant we had last year gave us a dozen or so fruits every couple of days from end of May through to September and we seemed to keep the neighbours stocked with them.

Yes, oleanders are poisonous but they are everywhere. Even the kiddies playground has loads of them along with verges in the middle of the roads. I cut mine back drastically last year as they were getting huge and now have them about 3 to 4 foot high. Starting to flower now. Probably best to keep young kids and pets away from them, though.

Like 0      
03 May 2015 7:10 PM by Birdofparadise Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

my wonderful spanish neighbour recommended this plant to me as she had one and knowing nothing about it i bought my first one last year. 

thank you everyone for your thoughts, toxicity and a ph 6.6 to 7.7   

I have just done some quick research and amazed at the many different variety's which are not clear on the labels i saw in the graden centre.  Some like sun, some dont, some prefer to be in doors, some dont flower, some recommend planting next to another varierty to help them flower and some advise not to plant near a house due to different points of view on the scent and invasive.

the only thing they all agree on is its poisonous.

I am now confused.  

My new one is about 1 mtr high it was in the shade in the garden centre, its still in its own pot with soil and looked well when i bought it.

i kept it in doors for a few days and it was happy.

I put it out side in part shade but it was 30c and some of the leaves bleached from the sun and that was when i started having problems.

I believe some plants are meant to be and also look around to see what is grown.  Dame de noche is not one of them in this area.  So there is my answer.  

She is in my "sick parrot corner" on death row and has 3 weeks left hoping for a last minute reprieve.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ello - 0 posts
Bankruptcy - 2 posts
Art supply shops in Almeria province - 1 posts
Butano/Propano gas installation inspections - 4 posts
Modelo 720 - 8 posts
tolls from murcia airport - 5 posts
Looking for furniture - Costa Del Sol - 1 posts
Is this a good deal - 20 years fixed @ 2.6% - 5 posts
Scottish couple and dog travelling from santander to sax looking for b and b - 0 posts
Whats on in COSTA CALIDA CHRONICAL. CAMPOSOL ?? - 0 posts
Bank account closures - 4 posts
Buying property cash - 14 posts
Rattan Furniture - 6 posts
Power of attorny liability? - 5 posts
Cancelling ono contract - 5 posts
Miss Lizzy - 4 posts
Getting rid of Europa TV at last! - 6 posts
What do I need to open a bank account in Spain? - 5 posts
looking for bed and breakfast around madrid area - 1 posts
electric bike - 3 posts
I welcome My Self :) - 0 posts
F1 trip to barcelona on coach from vivilia travel - 0 posts
Can we trust testimonials on rental sites? - 5 posts
Spanish Bank Account Updates - 1 posts
Another question - sorry! - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x