Electricity Costs in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Feb 2015 4:36 PM by ldtjohn Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi   I am new to this forum and We have a holiday home near Benidorm and vist Spain several times a year. Our electricity charges are high and we want to change to a Company which will charge you for what you use (rather than standing charges per month plus reduced charge for units used) We can do this in the UK but we cannot tell if this can be done in Spain.  Does anyone know and if so can you give any advice on how to do it please,

This message was last edited by ldtjohn on 21/02/2015.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2015 4:57 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

No, it can't. All companies charge per whatever power you are contracted for. Most modern (less than 10 year) domestic properties have 25 Amps or 5.75Kw. This could be 5.5Kw if you took out the contract before electricity voltage was raised to 230V from 220. The companies then charge you a daily rate for each Kw your ICP allows.

Currently (no pun intended) around 20 to 25 euro a month which, with taxes and charges plus meter rental, willrbe more like 30 euro a month before you even plug anything in.

The cost and inconvenience of having the electricity disconnected when you aren't there outweighs these costs. I have not heard of any company that does not apply these charges.

Sorry, that's the way it works here. 

Like 0      
22 Feb 2015 10:45 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

There are holiday contract options available which offer 10% reduction as well as further 5% reduction for paperless accounts. There are lots of contract options available none of which are clearly defined. I would strongly recommend everyone to ensure that their contract is rated at 3.45kw potential and also set up a paperless account with whatever utility you use. For anyone not here often then consider a holiday account which offers a further 10% reduction. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Exchange rate - 3 posts
If i've paid for information - should my lawyer allow me to see it? - 10 posts
Sell in Spain - 22 posts
car hire Malaga airport with Europcar - 4 posts
Ex Pats are on a roll...... - 19 posts
Elderly care? - 5 posts
Pool Fence questions? - 0 posts
Stair lifts - 0 posts
Hello Almerimar, Almeria - 1 posts
Spanish Judge Violates Global Rule, Makes Bank President & Former IMF Chief Pay for Financial Crimes - 1 posts
How does that work then? - 4 posts
Viva Estates - 6 posts
Is 'now' the time to buy in Spain… is the wait finally over? - 88 posts
nissian micra for sale - 2 posts
Property Management Recommendations - Santiago De La Ribera/Lo Pagan Area - 4 posts
Going to Court - 4 posts
Introducing myself, Cristian de la Torre - 0 posts
Mountain Bikes for sale - 0 posts
Domyos VE680 cross trainer - 0 posts
English Speaking Lawyer in Fuengirola - 3 posts
Obtaining NIE in the UK from Spanish Consulate - 2 posts
Liability for past tenents water bill - 11 posts
Just landed - 0 posts
Sun,sea, sangria and STRESS....that's Spain..... - 18 posts
White Van Man - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x