solicitors charges for purchase of property

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Aug 2007 12:00 AM by deelcee Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

we are being charged 3% of the value of the property plus taxes!

are we being ripped off?

Like 0      
11 Aug 2007 12:07 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

That sounds a bit steep to me.

We paid 1.5% & that was through the solicitor recommended by the agents.

As someone on here has said before - why go with a solicitor who charges a % of purchase price, when the value of the property does not affect the amount of work they have to do. I believe they did say that it was possible to negotiate a fixed fee rather than a %.

If I am wrong, I am sure that someone on here will let us know.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
11 Aug 2007 1:33 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Most lawyers charge 1%  for property conveyancing.

An hourly rate is of course aggreable ( will vary between 75-200 € per hour or more depending of Law Firms). 

The rules of the Bar Associations just stablish  minimums prices that can be rised by the Lawyers. That is the reason of the differences between Law Firms.

That is also the reason why  you need to look into the practices and uses in the area and find the average price being applied.

The most commun practice is being that 1 %.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
13 Aug 2007 5:08 PM by samson Star rating in Solihull/Benalmadena. 125 posts Send private message

Hi Maybe this question would be best answered by Maria.

We reserved a property which we then cancelled due to the developer running sevral months late and obtained a full refund. We had already paid our Lawyer 2.700 euros in advance which equated to 1% of the purchase price. We have now found another property and gone back to our lawyer with the details and i mentioned to her that she has already obtained our NIE numbers and that we have already paid her 2.700 expecting there would just be a small amount extra to pay for the purchase of our new property. So i asked for a statement of our account and she has come back to tell me we have to pay the full 2.700 fees on the first property even though we did not go ahead. Is this correct? i know she obtained our NIE numbers on our behalf but she already charged us extra for this (59 euros for power attorney and 176 euros for the NIE numbers)

Like 0      
13 Aug 2007 7:04 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Our solicitor is charging us 1% less a little discount we haggled . The solicitor is asking for staged payments and if the purchase collapses at any stage, not all of the fee is forfeited, just an amount commensurate with the work carried out. We are very happy with the service provided so far and would wholeheartedly recommend him to anyone.

Mark

Like 0      
13 Aug 2007 10:47 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I do not find it reasonable as the purchase has not been completed,  but it is true that the Bar Association just stablishes minimus and lawyers have freedom in terms of feeing, so it is always recommendable, in my opinion, to have the services listed and the quote of the fee agreed on writing.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Buy in son's names??? - 6 posts
Polaris World - Las Terrazas de La Torre - 6 posts
careworker seeks work - 0 posts
Help !!! Accomodation required - 0 posts
We can't wait to enjoy life in Spain - 10 posts
Big Dog-Big Sun? - 5 posts
urb meeting. re security guards - 0 posts
urb meeting. re security guards - 0 posts
internet Access in rented apartments - 1 posts
Rental Advertising - Free v Paid - 1 posts
towels sheets etc. - 9 posts
towels sheets etc. - 31 posts
Part Loads & Storage - 0 posts
looking to buy in Pego/Monte Pego area. - 1 posts
PET ADVICE? - 9 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL REQUIRED - 3 posts
Festivals in Murcia - 1 posts
Mortman - 11 posts
Camposol sector A - 24 posts
Villamartin, nr Torrevieja/San Miguel new 3 bed 3 bath terraced villa available till end May - 0 posts
Good lawyer in Almeria - 0 posts
Help with Spanish Mortgages... - 23 posts
first timer and not sure what to do !! - 4 posts
Help!...where do I HAVE to visit between Murcia and Seville.... - 4 posts
4+ bed required almunecar - benajarafe - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x