towels sheets etc.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Aug 2007 12:00 AM by young Star rating in Stockport/Las Siete .... 70 posts Send private message

I have read about a shop in Torrevieja (and of course I can't find the thread now I want it) that has really good quality towels etc. We are moving to spain shortly and bringing furniture from the UK and could bring towels etc. but would it be worth it. Are they as good as the ones we'd buy in UK any advice appreciated. By the could anyonre e-mail a map highlighting where the shop is or directions.

Thanks

Like 0      
11 Sep 2007 2:47 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

There is a good, tho not cheap, shop in Torrevieja, but cannot remember it's name. It is on Ramon Gallud which is the main shopping road and I think it is near Bargin books..........you can look at a torrevieja map and sort out where the road is.

I have bought towels from lots of places, mainly Carrefour and they are fine.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
11 Sep 2007 4:47 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I think the shop you are looking for is Yorkshire Linen Company, have a search under that name as I have never been there but can remember reading the thread.  I think they are near to where the buses stop for the Friday Market in Torrevieja and they also have a branch in Quesada.

My personal experience is that towels don't last that long because of the sunlight so unless you are planning to buy a tumble dryer I wouldn't spend an awful lot on them as you will changing them often.  I have Egyptian cotton towels which I brought over from America.  Good quality but you wouldn't think it now after a couple of years of washing them and I'm only out in Spain for a total of 3 months in a year.

My dear old Nan never owned a washing machine and her towels were as good as the day she bought them.  I can still feel the softness of them against the skin, she would wash them by soaking them in a bucket for a day then transfer them into another bucket with a blue bag in, rinse and then use the mangle.  Should have been like cardboard but they weren't, don't know where I'm going wrong.  Still in today's throw away society I don't suppose it really matters. 

Like 0      
11 Sep 2007 4:51 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
There is also a Yorkshire Linen at the back of Habanaros.................out the back entrance, across the road near KFC and the big pet shop.

This message was last edited by Karensun on 9/11/2007.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
11 Sep 2007 7:08 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I think the pet shop is next to Lidl's, if so it might be worthwhile parking in there.  I always used to use the Aldi supermarket which is at the end of the next turning down (the one you would have to use if I am thinking of the correct place).  Since the Haberenas has opened you can't get parked anywhere in that area as it's always full of people who refuse the pay the parking fee for the underground car park.  I would have thought that Aldi's is loosing a lot of custom through that. 

Like 0      
22 Sep 2007 9:06 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

There is also a Yorkshire linen in San Javier. The world is your lobster.  .

Really good quality bedding and towels and the only place we could find the single duvets we needed. Also reasonably priced too. I would put them on par with Dunelm and Argos.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2007 9:39 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar
Can't beat good old Marks & Sparks for towels imho. Had mine over there a couple of years now & they are still going strong & despite being dried in the sunshine haven't changed colour. I,m over in Spain every 6 weeks so they get used a lot.

Like 0      
23 Sep 2007 9:09 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

My towels are a dark blue and the colour hasn't faded but the softness has gone.  I bought a few sets and the one's I have still to use are a lot softer.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't use fabric conditioner on towels as they loose there absorbtion factor.  When we rent a villa in Florida we don't use conditioner in the machines there mainly because we can't work out where it goes in.  The towels there are fine as they are tumble dried.

My MIL told me that if it's a windy day then towels will dry softer and not need tumble drying.  Washed my towels yesterday and once again she's right.

Wish she was still here to pass on her pearls of wisdom

Like 0      
23 Sep 2007 1:32 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
We bought an emerald green towel for hubby & a matching bath mat from Dunelm for Spain (stunning colour these were) & both have faded in the sun. They weren't cheap either really.  

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 1:25 PM by saznaz Star rating in los altos and kent. 134 posts Send private message

Can anyone give an idea of how much u ppay for towels and linen in spain - is it cheaper than uk Rgds

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 1:41 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Personally I'd buy in the UK & in Dunelms for towels & bedlinen. They have the most amazing offers currently & are excellent generally with so much choice. We were in there on Sunday. They have a website now. http://www.dunelm-mill.com/  We buy their non-iron own range bedding. (For example I bought a base valance for a KS bed £12.99 with a 5 yr guarantee) In Spain, if you want decent linen you likely need to go somewhere like Yorkshire Linens. They have branches everywhere, including Quesada. Some say they think it's expensive in there.

What you must remember though is ... are you buying SPANISH beds as I suspect you will be doing ?? If you are, then the bedding you'll buy in the UK is quite oversized. We needed to stitch a pleat down the centre of our base valance (headboard end to bottom) as it was all over the floor each side ! Fitted sheets are not exactly "fitted" on Spanish beds.

We have Northern Nights bedding (QVC's own brand) 320 thread count 100% cotton with special finish to make them more "easycare" in Spain. Their bottom fitted sheet is fine as it's elasticated all the way round, not just the corners.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 7:15 PM by saznaz Star rating in los altos and kent. 134 posts Send private message

thanks for this, there is clearly a problem with my email as i have not had this sent directly to my email, i have come on here tonight for a browse and see that u have kindly replied

unfortunately we dont have dunelm near us but i will have butchers on their site, did wonder about the size thing, cos wanted to get a fitted sheet cos itseasier to put on, but may reconsider the size now - hhmmm

i was gonna get easy iron but never seen a guarantee before, v good

thanks for this

regards

saznaz

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 7:31 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Only £3.95 for delivery off website.  http://www.dunelm-mill.com/  

Free returns via courier too. http://www.dunelm-mill.com/cm/returnspolicy.htm

Better to go look & choose though, eh ?

Stores in Kent...

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/pages/storelocator/displaystore.asp?sParentCounty=kent&serial=08012970219263327

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 7:43 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Where abouts in Kent are you. 

The website lists stores in Canterbury and Maidstone.

I get my sheets and towels in Florida as we have a 6' bed here in UK and I decided to go for 2 90cm beds in Spain.  No help to your querry but I have bought some small handtowels in a Todo shop and the quality was really good, for 60c they're a bargain.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 11:37 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

We bought whatever we wanted here in the UK for a few good reasons.

We could take our time.

Buy in sales.

Spend over a long period of time whilst waiting for completion.

Not waste precious holiday time in Spain looking for "essentials" when we didn't know where to go.

It just made life so much easier.

Doesn't mean bedlinen, towels etc aren't great in Spain, you can get good quality, but you can spend forever looking for things & the siesta hours mean you can't shop at Spanish shops from around 2 - 5. English shops are usually open all day.

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 9:49 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

To help your sheets fit the mattress you can buy straps (similar to suspenders) to go under the four corners of the mattress.

From Poundland I think, next time I'm there I'll check.

I have to admit to being a gadget addict and if I see things I have to get one and of course one for our house in Spain

Both houses are over flowing with them but I'm sure I'll use them one day.

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 12:03 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

They'll do the trick, yes. (Semi, you & I should have shares in Poundland)

Ideal also to stop your ironing board cover moving about too much too.

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 4:22 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Funnily enough they do have smaller ones especially for ironing boards.  They look more like mens braces.

Perhaps I should change my name to Gadget Queen.

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 5:18 PM by flyingcat Star rating in London/Mojacar. 85 posts Send private message

flyingcat´s avatar

I just bought our beds for our new apartment in Spain. Double bed is 200 cm x 150 cm and single beds are 190 cm x 90 cm. Can anyone tell me if I buy fitted sheet in UK i.e. double and single, would they fit Spanish beds? Many thanks. 

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 5:35 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

We've been discussing this for a while, since I posted here.

29 Jan 2008 1:41 PM

morerosado
Star rating
** EOS Superstar **

morerosado´s avatar

I'm in Somerset, UK / Guardamar Del Segura on the Costa Blanca (Completed April 2005)

I've made 2544 posts

Edit this post

Personally I'd buy in the UK & in Dunelms for towels & bedlinen. They have the most amazing offers currently & are excellent generally with so much choice. We were in there on Sunday. They have a website now. http://www.dunelm-mill.com/  We buy their non-iron own range bedding. (For example I bought a base valance for a KS bed £12.99 with a 5 yr guarantee) In Spain, if you want decent linen you likely need to go somewhere like Yorkshire Linens. They have branches everywhere, including Quesada. Some say they think it's expensive in there.

What you must remember though is ... are you buying SPANISH beds as I suspect you will be doing ?? If you are, then the bedding you'll buy in the UK is quite oversized. We needed to stitch a pleat down the centre of our base valance (headboard end to bottom) as it was all over the floor each side ! Fitted sheets are not exactly "fitted" on Spanish beds.

We have Northern Nights bedding (QVC's own brand) 320 thread count 100% cotton with special finish to make them more "easycare" in Spain. Their bottom fitted sheet is fine as it's elasticated all the way round, not just the corners.

Great opportunities to help others seldom come but small ones surround us every day.

supports    www.spanishpropertyscandalpetition.co.uk

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/30/2008.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Part Loads & Storage - 0 posts
looking to buy in Pego/Monte Pego area. - 1 posts
PET ADVICE? - 9 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL REQUIRED - 3 posts
Festivals in Murcia - 1 posts
Mortman - 11 posts
Camposol sector A - 24 posts
Villamartin, nr Torrevieja/San Miguel new 3 bed 3 bath terraced villa available till end May - 0 posts
Good lawyer in Almeria - 0 posts
Help with Spanish Mortgages... - 23 posts
first timer and not sure what to do !! - 4 posts
Help!...where do I HAVE to visit between Murcia and Seville.... - 4 posts
4+ bed required almunecar - benajarafe - 0 posts
Royal Executive Marbella - 10 posts
Rioja-Properties - 0 posts
hi - 2 posts
buying partner out - 0 posts
Hello - 2 posts
Jim - 4 posts
rapp - 1 posts
Storage Space - 4 posts
Lets Eat in Benijofer - 13 posts
Torremendo - 33 posts
ADMINISTRATION - 4 posts
Send private message to - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 32

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x