Residents, Income tax on property in and outside Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 May 2014 10:40 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I would be interested to hear from others in my situation,  (that is, tax residents who own property outside Spain)  and in particular I would like to hear Maria de Castro's comments.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am Tax resident in Spain.  I own the property we live in which has a parking space and trastero (store room) on the same escritura.   No income tax to pay on them.  

I also own a lock-up garage in Spain  and my wife owns a property and a plot of land in the Philippines  (or it could be anywhere outside Spain, the same would apply, so say in UK).

My gestor assures me that we must pay (imputed) income tax on the lock up garage in Spain, and on the properties in Philippines.

On the lock up she has taken the catastral value, multiplied by 1.1% .

So 18,000€  X  1.1%  =  198 € tax.

For the property in Philippines,  50% of the purchase price times 1.1%

So,    50,000 € x 50%  = 25,000 X 1.1%  275€  tax.

A non-resident in Spain, on a property with a cadastral value of 25,000 €  (holiday home) would pay 24.75% of the 275€  so just 68 €

NB    This is not Patrimonio Tax but Income Tax.

If we did not own the lock up garage,  or property outside Spain, but had kept the funds in a safe, even know to Hacienda, or in a bank (where we would have to pay tax only on the interest) we would not have any income tax to pay.

I wonder how many other tax resident in Spain are in a similar position and maybe had not realised it !

This message was last edited by johnzx on 26/05/2014.

Like 0      
26 May 2014 1:24 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

This imputed tax seems to have come to the forefront only in the last couple of years, probably with the advent of 720. Apparently it has always been the case that a resident pays it.Was it a surprise to you Johnzx? You are knowledgeable on tax matters, so I thought you would know. this anyway!
I bet the majority of ex pats are unaware, and even if they are, probably don't do anything about it. It does seem a cheek to have to pay tax on something not generating income. Must be a nice little earner with the Hacienda, who are trying to find yet more ways of raising money.
Chasing up ex pats not paying income tax here would be a start!

Like 0      
26 May 2014 1:24 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Deleted as duplicate
This message was last edited by camposol on 26/05/2014.

Like 0      
26 May 2014 3:05 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campo:  Must be a nice little earner with the Hacienda, who are trying to find yet more ways of raising money.

If they took action against the estimated 95% of those who should have, but did not, make the 720 Declaration, they could pay off the national debt. with that alone.  (i.e. standard fines of 5,000 € per item not reported, with a minimum fine of 10,000, plus up to 150'% of each asset not declared)

Like 0      
26 May 2014 3:10 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

27 May 2014 12:23 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The obligation in regards to property/ies abroad of spanish tax residents is just  about informing but not about paying any tax for owning them!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 May 2014 12:23 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The obligation in regards to property/ies abroad of spanish tax residents is just  about informing but not about paying any tax for owning them!

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 May 2014 12:46 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Maria De Castro.  Thank you for your post.

I apologise for asking for clarification, but I have just spoken to Hacienda (helpline 901 335533) they confirmed that a person tax resident in Spain is obliged to pay (formula as I set out) tax on properties owned which are outside Spain.

Confused of CDS

Like 0      
27 May 2014 1:26 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

John: Please show regulation included below to tax advisor in order to see if we are talking about same tax

Legal tip 907. Obligation of Information of Goods and Rights Located Abroad 
06 March 2013 @ 13:53 

Royal Decree 1558/2012, of the 15 November, Obligation of Information about Goods and Rights Located Abroad.

This will introduce an obligation to report certain assets located abroad and whose value exceeds € 50,000 on December 31st each year, to all natural and legal individuals resident in Spanish territory, to permanent establishments, heritages and civil communities or partnerships.

While in the future this statement shall be filed between January 1st to March 31st, the 2012 statement must be submitted between the 1st February to the 30th April 2013, in accordance with the Sole Additional Provision of Royal Decree 1715 / 2012, of the 28th December.

You are subject to this obligation if:

- You are a Spanish resident (this includes any citizen or foreign national residing in Spain, Business entities, Inheritances , Partnerships, etc.), or have a permanent establishment in Spain.

- Value of your assets abroad exceed a value of 50,000 € (individually)

-  3 different groups of assets  subject to this obligation:

1. Accounts and deposits with financial institutions located abroad 

Information to be provided:

- Bank name and address

- Swift code, Iban code and account number

- Name of account holders and third parties with access to the account

- Date account was opened or closed

- Date in which any third parties were given access or had their access cancelled

- Balance of the account dated 31st December of the previous year

- Average account balance of the last quarter of the previous year

2. Values, rights, insurances and annuities deposited, managed or obtained abroad.

This group has to be subdivided again into another 5 subgroups:

a. Values located abroad: Information to be provided:

- Company name or full name of the legal entity

- Confirmation of registry details of the company or entity

- Value of the shares dated 31st December of the previous year

- Vale of the share capital or equity capital dated 31st December of the previous year

- Number and class of shares you hold

b. Rights located abroad: Information to be provided:

- Confirmation of registry details of the company or entity

- Value at 31 December of the securities transferred to third parties for capital or securities contributed to the legal instrum ent

- Value, number and class of securities or the securities provided by such shareholder.

c. Shares in the share capital or endowment of collective investment institutions located abroad:

- Confirmation of registry details of the company or entity - Value at December 31 shares held, number and type

d. Life and disability insurance when the insurer is located abroad: Inform action to be provided:

- Confirmation of registry details of the company or entity - .Surrender value at 31 December.

- The policyholders personal details

e. On temporary or lifetime income obtained as a result of the delivery of a capital in money, or economic rights of real or personal property:

- Company name or full name and address of the insurance company - Value of income capitalization at 31 December

- Identification of the beneficiary

3. Immoovable property or rights in immovable property situated abroad: Information to be provided:

- Country or territory in which you are located. - Address

- Acquisition date

- Acquisition value

* Note: The obligation extends to any taxpayer who had been the holder or beneficial owner of securities or rights during 2012 but no longer is on December 31st, and must provide the information on the date on which such term ination occurred.

Last day for filing the information (Form 720) for 2012 will be on the 30th April 2012.

Penalties? 

The penalty consists of a 5,000 Euros fine per item or set of data on the same account, asset or Real Estate property, which should have been included in the statement or had been provided incomplete, inaccurate or false, with a minimum of 10,000 Euros.

The penalty shall be 100 EUR per item or set of data on the same account, asset or liability or property with a minimum of 1,500 Euros, when the declaration was filed after the deadline without prior notification from the Tax Office. Likewise, if the filing of the annual statement is not done electronically via the internet or via written communication it would also be sanctionable.

The Observer

"The Observer", Sacromonte, Granada, South-east of Spain, by Landahlauts, at flickr.com

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 May 2014 2:10 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Is Maria confusing imputed income tax with the 720 assets declaration?

Like 0      
27 May 2014 2:15 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Maria de Castro,   estoy hablando de impuesto sobre la renta. No la declaración de activos (formulario 720)

I am talking about income tax. Not the asset declaration (form 720)

Like 0      
27 May 2014 2:23 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I regards to ownership of foreign assets, there is no payment obligation by Spain Income Tax payers.

There is just a declaration duty and just only if the declared value of each asset is above 50k euros

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 May 2014 2:34 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Income tax in relation of ownership of estate assets is produced when selling it.

Non residents are imputed a value for owning property in Spain. If these non resident have property out of Spain, these have no interest for the Spain TaxOffice.

Are we understanding each other?sad

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 27/05/2014.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 May 2014 2:35 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Maria de Castro  May I ask you to call Hacienda and ask why they are giving incorrect  info on this.. Thanks

With reference to :   I apologise for asking for clarification, but I have just spoken to Hacienda (helpline 901 335533) they confirmed that a person tax resident in Spain is obliged to pay (formula as I set out) tax on properties owned which are outside Spain.

Like 0      
27 May 2014 2:38 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

John:

There might have been a misunderstanding?

Cheers!

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 May 2014 2:46 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

There might have been a misunderstanding?

That is why I requested that you call them.  I know you will not misunderstand what they say.

What they told me was very precise:   i.e. that “a tax resident in Spain is obliged to pay income tax on any property/ies and/or land,  they own which is/are located outside Spain.”

They even told me that the sume to paid was calcuated as 50% of the declared value,  multiplied by 1.1%,   exactly as I showed in my opening post.

Like 0      
27 May 2014 2:51 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

it seems that even experts aren't aware of this imputed income!

Like 0      
27 May 2014 2:58 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

John,

I know now where the confusion comes from:

If you  are a Spain tax resident with goods abroad that you have not declared to the Treasure, this, the Treasure will treat those assets as a non justified income which is taxed at the marginal rate of our Income Tax ( over 50%) and applied to the last non expired tax year UNLESS you prove that the now non declared Spain assets were duly declared in its time or were acquired when you were not a Spain  tax resident.

Does it make more sense now?

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 May 2014 3:08 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

The general rule is that a resident tax payer is taxed on imputed income on property located outside Spain provided the property meets the requirements which are listed in the income tax law and which, in very general terms, means that the property is used by the taxpayer for his own use and is not rented out or used in connection with a business activity, among others.

However,  the tax treaty between Spain and the country where the property is located needs to be reviewed as there could be a rule that the property is taxed only in that other country.  There used to be such a rule in the Treaty with the UK but I know that the treaty has been modified since I last reviewed it so if someone knows what the current Treaty says, it would be good if they can post it.

The information given out by Hacienda to Johnxz is correct in general but the application of the rule to each individual situation needs to be reviewed in particular.

There are also rules as to how to calculate the tax, the 1,1% on 50% rule applies to those properties where the catastral valuation has not been fixed, updated or communmicated to the taxpayer and is based on the purchase price.  As I say, each individual situation needs to be reviewed.

Since many of you are fluent in Spanish, here is a transcript of the Income Tax rules:

"Tienen la consideración de rentas inmobiliarias imputadas aquellas que el contribuyente debe incluir en su base imponible por ser propietario o titular de un derecho real de disfrute sobre determinados bienes inmuebles urbanos, incluyendo las que se deriven de un derecho real de aprovechamiento por turno sobre bienes inmuebles.

Requisitos de la imputación de rentas inmobiliarias

La imputación de rentas inmobiliarias está condicionada a que los inmuebles cumplan los siguientes requisitos:

1. Que se trate de bienes inmuebles urbanos y no se encuentren afectos a actividades económicas.
  2. Que se trate de inmuebles rústicos con construcciones que no resulten indispensables para el desarrollo de explotaciones agrícolas, forestales o ganaderas.
  3. Que no generen rendimientos de capital como consecuencia del arrendamiento de bienes inmuebles, negocios o minas o de la constitución o cesión de derechos o facultades de uso o disfrute sobre bienes inmuebles.
  4. Que no constituyan la vivienda habitual del contribuyente. A estos efectos, se entiende que forman parte de la vivienda habitual del contribuyente las plazas de garaje adquiridas conjuntamente con el inmueble hasta un máximo de dos.
  5. Que no se trate de suelo no edificado, inmuebles en construcción ni de inmuebles que, por razones urbanísticas, no sean susceptibles de uso.

Determinación de la renta imputada

La renta imputable por cada inmueble urbano se realiza mediante la aplicación de los siguientes porcentajes:

1. Con carácter general se aplicará el 2 por 100 sobre el valor catastral del inmueble que figure en el recibo del Impuesto sobre Bienes Inmuebles.
  2. El 1,1 por 100 para aquellos inmuebles cuyo valor catastral haya sido revisado, modificado o determinado mediante un procedimiento de valoración colectiva posterior a 1 de enero de 1994.
  3. Para aquellos inmuebles que carezcan de valor catastral o no hayan sido notificados al contribuyente a la fecha de devengo del impuesto el porcentaje del 1,1 por 100 se aplicará sobre el 50 por 100 del valor de los mismos que deban computarse a efectos del Impuesto sobre el Patrimonio. Dicho valor será el mayor de los dos siguientes: el precio, contraprestación o valor de adquisición del inmueble; o el valor del inmueble comprobado por la Administración a efectos de otros tributos.

Cuando un inmueble se adquiera o transmita en el transcurso de un ejercicio o haya estado arrendado o afecto a una actividad económica durante parte de un año, así como en los demás supuestos en que el inmueble haya estado a disposición de sus propietarios o usufructuarios únicamente durante parte de un ejercicio, la renta imputable será la que proporcionalmente corresponda al número de días comprendidos en dicho período.

En los supuestos de derechos reales de aprovechamiento por turno sobre bienes inmuebles, la imputación deberá efectuarla el titular del derecho real, aplicando el porcentaje del 2 por 100 o 1,1 por 100, según proceda, al resultado de prorratear el valor catastral del bien inmueble en función de la duración anual del período de aprovechamiento.

Cuando la titularidad de un bien inmueble corresponda a varias personas, la imputación de la renta que se derive del mismo se considerará obtenida por cada una de ellas en proporción a su participación en dicha titularidad."

Like 0      
27 May 2014 3:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Thanks guys,

So to put it simple

“a tax resident in Spain is obliged to pay income tax on any property/ies and/or land,  they own which is/are located outside Spain.”  (unless that rule is qualified by any double taxation agreement. Which it is not for property in UK nor Philippines at least).

The sum to paid is calculated as 50% of the declared value,  multiplied by 1.1%,  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Urgent Sale 2012 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Pure - 0 posts
Murcia airport still a great place.. now selling duty free goods - 7 posts
Endesa Ombudsman - 0 posts
Electricity tariffs - 3 posts
temporary internet options - 10 posts
Property transfer taxes in Seville - 2 posts
Restoration of flat - 4 posts
TWO SINGLE BEDS FOR SALE - 1 posts
Taxman investigates Pensions from outside Spain - 44 posts
Chinese Junk Shops Why So Many - 8 posts
wanted. outer glass door for electic oven. - 2 posts
Elderly village/home in South Spain - 2 posts
Property transfer tax in Andalucia for under 35s - 4 posts
Legal tip 1149. Timeshare and frauds - 0 posts
How do i find cheap car insurance without an agents - 5 posts
What EU MEP's should focus on and make the work for all of us - 18 posts
Carboneras Hotel: Stay or Go? - 0 posts
Barclays-how does it affect ex pats with UK accounts - 12 posts
Decent plumber needed - 0 posts
TFProperties (Cezar Fenianos) Was based on La Torre Golf - 1 posts
Spain's New Stringent traffic laws - 13 posts
Bank Instruments For Lease - 0 posts
Hi all, Wanting some advice on moving to Andalucia region of Spain. Rental help! :) - 28 posts
"Son of Form 720" - 3 posts
SURE PAYS TO SHOP AROUND - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x